Treadmill upstairs

Options
Quick question - I am trying to convince hubby to move my treadmill downstairs and am getting excuses cos it is heavy.

Is it actually safe to use in my spare room? will my house fall down?? lol

thanks

Replies

• Insinr8r
    Options
    Is your house made out of bricks, sticks or hay? :huh:
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have my treadmill upstairs in our spare room. If it was downstairs I'd probably never use it.

The only problem that I have with it being upstairs is that my Son's bedroom is the room below the treadmill. I just have to use the treadmill when he's not home sleeping.
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was planning on having mine in my spare room. I wouldn't think your house would fall down lol, considering the content you'd probably have in a room anyway (double bed, wardrobe, bedside table, chester draws etc).
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    LOL, great question!
    Is your house made out of bricks, sticks:huh or hay? :huh:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your house will most likely fall down.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your house would be structurally sound, it'll be right.
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    mines on our middle floor and we havent had the floor collapse yet ;) think you will be fine!
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the sensible answers, its just I read somewhere or heard (cant remember which) that a treadmill upstairs could cause structural damage). Its a big heavy treadmill not a light one that can be folded up and stored away. I was more concerned about the floor of the room/ceiling of room below it.

Just wanted to check, thank you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Quick question - I am trying to convince hubby to move my treadmill downstairs and am getting excuses cos it is heavy.

Is it actually safe to use in my spare room? will my house fall down?? lol

thanks

Did your husband suggest that the house would topple, because he doesn't want to move this treadmill?

• beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Having been a bricklayer, building surveyor and construction site manager building new homes and refurbing old ones, and more recently brought a tredmill for my home, I can offer this advice without knowing the contruction or fabric of your home, My tredmill weights 130kg, my first floor is constructed of 18mm t&g flooring laid on 6x2 joists at 400mm centres, and I have no issues at all, I think you have to use common sense, if your tredmill weighs in excess of 250kg and your home has not been constructed within the last 30yrs and it has suspended timber floors, then I would not recommend puting it up stairs. This is a hard question for anybody to answer right without seeing your home im afraid.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    thats funny, I sometimes think the same thing with Heavy furniture in places. haha
    "Will the floor break?!" is what i always think.... & I hate when I think like that, cuz I know its stupid :P
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your house will most likely fall down.

Hilarious!!!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Great response! There's no need to be nasty people!
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great response! There's no need to be nasty people!

Ah well it keeps the trolls being entertained! Thanks for the messages, treadmill did NOT go downstairs in the end (cue much shouting and raised voices) but it seems ok, its right next to a load bearing wall.
    It was me worrying about the house not hubby and as I will be walking quickly not running (I like the raised bit) should be ok.

Toxictwist - not stupid at all, its wierd what people worry about.
  • kevinwall31
    Options
    Absolutely not! Houses are not structurally designed to have that kind of repetitive weight forced on them.