Left arm weaker than right arm? Why

Options
Every time i go gym and workout with the weights, my right arm can cope, but my left arm struggles to catch up. Even when i lift very easy weights, i mean really light, on its own i can barely lift it. (BTW i dont know if this has any relevance but my left arm is a big more fatter then my right arm)

cheers

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You are probably just extremely right hand dominate. So you instinctively lift things with your right hand. Stabilize with your right hand. Over time your right arm developed strength from use that your left hand did not.
  • NuttyK
    NuttyK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    your predominate side is always the strongest side, my right side is stronger than my left :smile:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are right handed. You use your right arm for much more than you do your left on a daily basis. Make sure to focus on using dumbbells so you can try to get the left to catch up! Everybody is like that and it may never "completely" go away... but thats totally natural. My left arm is visibly less muscular and definitely weaker even though I've been weight lifting for years now :)
  • DomStapleton
    DomStapleton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't like to say why I think my right arm is more powerful than my left...
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My dominant arm is the right, and i am right handed. My left arms tricep muscles are significantly stronger than my right, weird huh.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't like to say why I think my right arm is more powerful than my left...

Bahhhaaaa ^Love this^ :0)
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    You should notice this with your legs too. It's always one whole side of the body which is stronger than the other one...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

This can be fixed though, it's just um.... a little awkward...:laugh:

So I hear....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I get this too, my right arm is stronger than my left even though I'm left handed.

It shouldn't be too much of a difference though. If it's bothering you, you can use dumbells to work on your left side more and even it out a bit :)
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yes, have noticed that it is true with the legs as well. It makes sense with the arms, since one uses one hand more than the other, but do we use one leg more than the other?? I don't think so! :laugh:
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    Yes, have noticed that it is true with the legs as well. It makes sense with the arms, since one uses one hand more than the other, but do we use one leg more than the other?? I don't think so! :laugh:

Most people can only kick a ball well with their dominant foot. Makes sense that one leg is better at doing things or stronger than another. I would not expect as big of a difference as you would find for arms/hands.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My trainer was telling me the other day that since I'm right handed, thats the dominate side of my body and I will always be better at doing things with my right side than my left.

If this is true or not, who knows... I personally don't see that much of a difference, but thats just me.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I know why!!!!!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Stop *kitten* or you will go blind!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Every time i go gym and workout with the weights, my right arm can cope, but my left arm struggles to catch up. Even when i lift very easy weights, i mean really light, on its own i can barely lift it. (BTW i dont know if this has any relevance but my left arm is a big more fatter then my right arm)

cheers

If you are right handed, then you will be stronger in that arm/hand than you are with your left arm/hand. Keep working with your left hand/arm, it can get stronger. Do you own a hand grip? If not, buy some and, every chance you get, use it with your left hand. After a while, you will see a difference, when you use both your hands/arms.

As for your left arm having more fat than your right, it's because you use your right side more. If you look at your body in a full length mirror, you will see that your body is not even.
  • huwgeorgebristow
    huwgeorgebristow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my left arm has been smaller than my right for about a year, iv tried just training my left arm for a thew weeks i thought it was getting better then i trained both of them with dumbbells concentrating on the form on my left arm and starting with my weaker side first on all the sets and it was almost like my right arm suddenly just got huge from that one training session im now cutting and my right is bigger than my left still i was thinking of just training my left arm for the next 2 months i don't care if i loose a bit of size in my right i just want them to be equal its really annoying
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My guess is; it probably cause youre right handed...
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are really lonely and your right handed/palmed.