Doing the right things but getting the wrong results

Options
Hi All,

I am feeling quite frantic. I have been eating below my goal calorie intake every day and burning between 500 to 600 calories per workout (3 times a week) and yet it seems that I look more bloated and feel heavy.

Can anyone advise whether I am doing somthing wrong?

Replies

• elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am feeling quite frantic. I have been eating below my goal calorie intake every day and burning between 500 to 600 calories per workout (3 times a week) and yet it seems that I look more bloated and feel heavy.

Can anyone advise whether I am doing somthing wrong?

How long has this been happening for? ARe you eating back all, some or none of your exercise calories? Are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your sodium? Drinking enough water? Too much sodium or too little water can lead to water retention which will make you feel bloated.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I would guess (can't see your diary) that you are eating WAY TOO LITTLE.

Seriously, I spent 80 days without losing anything. I ate exactly what MFP says (within 50 calories either way) and now the pounds are melting off :)

I can't say anything really without seeing your diary, but if you are staying BELOW... you prob aren't eating enough.
  • merrick7871
    Options
    I wish I could help you. Over the last week I have gained 1 pound. I have stayed within my calorie goal, I burn 600-800 calories working out every morning and walk 3 miles most evenings burning around 500 - 600 calories. I am hoping that it is the muscle taking over the fat, but if something doesnt give soon I am going to re-evaluate my workouts. Hope you find some answers.

I am also drinking around 13 glasses of water a day.
  • ar01xph
    Options
    Hi

What is your callorie intake goal you set yourself?
    Mine for example was at the beginnning 1200 kCal a day and was practicing every day, burning up to 700 kCal a day.
    Than I switched from training on the bike to jogging and started to burn up to 1600 kCal a day by running 20 km. I increased my intake to 1950 kCal as I didn't want to loose any weight anymore.
    The callorie intake is important but it is also important to eat healthy, no fries, no burgers etc. Well, at least that is what I did to loose 20 kg in 4 months. I hope it helps.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You and merrick suffer from what I like to call. IexercisewaytoomuchandeattoolittleandI'mnotlosingweight.
    This is way to common in women.
    So without seeing your food I'm going to guess you're eating around 1200 calories a day. If you are burning 600 in the morning and 500 in the evening that's 1100. So here is the math. 1200 -1100 equals a net of 100 calories a day. Where is the nutrients? Vitamins? Energy? You are most likely in starvation mode. With only 100 calories a day your body has slowed it's metabolism and is storing the food in a desperate struggle to feed itself. Make your diary public and let's look at what you're eating and we can right this ship. Add me as a friend if you want some help from the debilatating condition I listed above. I'm here to help.
  • Lozzielol
    Options
    You and merrick suffer from what I like to call. IexercisewaytoomuchandeattoolittleandI'mnotlosingweight.
    This is way to common in women.
    So without seeing your food I'm going to guess you're eating around 1200 calories a day. If you are burning 600 in the morning and 500 in the evening that's 1100. So here is the math. 1200 -1100 equals a net of 100 calories a day. Where is the nutrients? Vitamins? Energy? You are most likely in starvation mode. With only 100 calories a day your body has slowed it's metabolism and is storing the food in a desperate struggle to feed itself. Make your diary public and let's look at what you're eating and we can right this ship. Add me as a friend if you want some help from the debilatating condition I listed above. I'm here to help.

This made me chuckle, IexercisewaytoomuchandeattoolittleandI'mnotlosingweight, but it is spot on! I always make sure my net calories are over 1200, even if I am not that hungry. Good luck.
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    You need to eat MORE! I have been in a plateau for almost two months, I couldn't get below 147 lbs, but I changed my goal to lose 0.5 lbs a week, and in the last week I've dropped down to 145.5! I'm guessing that you're not eating enough, so maybe change your goals for a couple weeks and see how that works out. Good luck!
  • skwomp
    Options
    Lots of processed foods? (Low fat, low cal super duper modified foods that are made to 'taste' like real food without all the fat and calories still count as processed. Even tofu is processed) Animal foods high in saturated fat? Excess bread or grains of any kind? Want to feel lighter? Eat plants....the way they look as they come out of the ground. There comes a point when the quality of your food is just as important as how much. Sounds like your body is ready to go to the next level beyond just counting calories. Now, it's getting picky about where the calories are coming from.
  • JanMeyK
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Just to answer some of your questions, my calorie intake for the day should be 1200 however I my intake is about 800 to 900 calories. I drink 8 glasses of water every day as well has green tea without sugar and milk.

My current weight is 57kg and I would like to weigh 52-53kg.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    So just to recap. You're not doing the right things which is why you're not getting the results you want. So to fix it you must eat more and exercise less. 8-900 daily is no where near enough.