Gaining over the night?

Options
I weigh myself every morning in order to see if I've lost weight or if I've stayed the same. But today, the scale said almost 0.5 kg more than yesterday! Could this be due to the fact that I could barely sleep during the night and spent most time coughing (I'm sick), or could it be water weight or anything like that? Because I ate about 1,200 calories yesterday and I can't put weight on by that, can I?

Replies

• kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctuates daily and throughout the day....the change is nothing but water....the key is to not weight daily
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt weigh youself every day.
    It could be water retention.
  • CandiceS86
    CandiceS86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh myself every day because the weight can change from day to day. It could be water, it could be food you ate yesterday, if you have been to the toilet or not and so on.... Don't get stuck to the numbers on your scale!
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctuates daily, so I'd be inclined to maybe only weigh yourself once a week at the same time, I admit I sometimes get a bit obsessed and weigh everyday but I only record once a week as like you say and I have seen weight can go up/down in a day, depends what you've eaten/drank and when
  • Lokisul
    Options
    That happened to me on tuesday, really was not impressed. Went up by 0.4kg, and 2 days later it still hasnt gone back down.

Not sure if it is water weight like everyone has said, I am a bit bloated, but I defiently did not bing out. In fact I may have exercised more than usual!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    All of this sounds reasonable, unless you're taking Ambien, in which case, maybe you've been eating in your sleep! Watch out for that pesky driving in your sleep and getting drunk in your sleep and then there's always picking up strangers in a bar in your sleep, too!

Okay, maybe not that last one. Maybe. They really should call that stuff 'ambulatory'!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day (morning and night) but only record once a week - i see fluctuations TOM, loo visits, etc all affect the scales...
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, thank you, but I still do, in order to keep myself motivated. Otherwise I end up not sticking to my diet either way, and I figured it won't kill me to record my weight everyday.

I'm aware that weight changes during the day, so I always weigh myself in the morning, before breakfast. But I still found it weird that I put on half a kilo during the night? So I just wanted to check what you thought :smile: Thanks for responding!