In Need of Serious Advise.

Options
Hi all,

I have been in a huge funk the last few months since I graduated college. Lat year I worked very hard and lost 15 lbs. I don't know what happened but I've become so depressed since college and cannot seem to motivate myself. I really need some help here. I have gained 25lbs in less than a year. I know this is not healthy and I really need to change my life.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a way to overcome it?

Thanks,

H

Replies

• happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been in a huge funk the last few months since I graduated college. Lat year I worked very hard and lost 15 lbs. I don't know what happened but I've become so depressed since college and cannot seem to motivate myself. I really need some help here. I have gained 25lbs in less than a year. I know this is not healthy and I really need to change my life.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a way to overcome it?

Thanks,

H
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from. I graduated from college about 5 years ago and moved to an area where I knew no one! I was a big sorority girl in college and I would often complain that there aren't any sororities to join in the real world!

For me it was like the end of an era! No more school. No more summer vacation. No more blowing off class to go to the beach!

Its a hard transition into becoming a grown up! I did the opposite of you... in that I couldn't keep food down. I lost about 20 lbs dramatically. I spent ALOT of money on hospital bills just to realize that it was all in my head.

The best advice I can give you is to try and discover who you are as an adult. I started working out at that time (sounds like you're already doing that!). I also started taking some hip hop classes and reading more. I slowly started meeting new people by trying new things.

I wish I had a magical answer for you as I totally undestand! But the most important thing is that you recognize that something is wrong.

Lots of :heart:
  • jbrascia
    jbrascia Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there,
    Can you pin-point what is causing the depression...what was your dream in college?
    What do you love doing? What are you doing now?
  • barsis
    barsis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try joining a gym. I had the most fun working out and meeting new people a few years ago and the more I toned and lost the better I felt. A real depression breaker. hard to get started but well worth the effort. Good luck
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    workout- cardio cardio and more cardio
  • happy_heather121
    Options
    Thanks every one. I know that I need to make a big change. It's not like I'm working at all to stop this from happening. The more weight i gain, the more I don't want to do anything. I can't find a job with my degree (Teacher in Michigan) so I've had a lot of disappointments and down time. I know that is what caused all the weight gain.

I guess I really need to kick myself in the butt and just get going. After I posted I went for a long bike ride and it felt really good. I need to start doing things that I like to do (like one of you suggested) and just really push myself out of this mess.

Thank you!
  • fragable17
    Options
    one thing i have found is even though it is hard to get started at first that i LOVE working out cause it just gets me pumped up and awesome afterwards. it is an addiction once you go a few times... at least it is for me. also one way i make sure to not give up especially while doing cardio is just focus on the size i'm working down to. i just focus on that number like it is right in front of my face and zone out to my music as well. i do my best to not think about how exhausted or tired i am cause i believe that it is just a mental block. if you are someone who loves to have people around and are a member of a gym that has classes do a class and you will make a ton of new friends. just a few ideas that have worked for me personally and may work for you or others but i know everyone is different.
  • happy_heather121
    Options
    I know what you mean fragable17. I was a member of a gym for a long time and it really worked for me. I did get addicted to working in out (in a good way) and in turn, that made me make healthy choices at home. Since I graduated from college and haven't been able to find any full time work I have no money for a gym. We are barely making our payments on bills now and adding a gym membership to the mix would put us under.

I used to be really good at doing the work out shows they have on Comcast as well as making my own weight lifting program but I just gave up eventually when my depression took over.

*sigh* I talked to my mother last night and she told me about a gym she can use for her work and I would only have to pay 3 dollars a time! She lives about 30 minutes away but I visit her about once a week already so if I move it to two days a week I think it's possible. And on the other days I know I will be more motivated to work out at home. I have a teadmil and a sit down bike (which i really don't like much because it hurts my back) and a TON of weights so if I make a little gym for myself at the house I think this is possible. I am the one who has to change things for myself. I know that I have done this to myself and no one can fix it but me.

Thanks! :)
  • scrabo
    scrabo Posts: 1
    Options
    :stay focused and dont beat yourself up and summer is almost here and you may be able to get out for walks.liz
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean fragable17. I was a member of a gym for a long time and it really worked for me. I did get addicted to working in out (in a good way) and in turn, that made me make healthy choices at home. Since I graduated from college and haven't been able to find any full time work I have no money for a gym. We are barely making our payments on bills now and adding a gym membership to the mix would put us under.

I used to be really good at doing the work out shows they have on Comcast as well as making my own weight lifting program but I just gave up eventually when my depression took over.

*sigh* I talked to my mother last night and she told me about a gym she can use for her work and I would only have to pay 3 dollars a time! She lives about 30 minutes away but I visit her about once a week already so if I move it to two days a week I think it's possible. And on the other days I know I will be more motivated to work out at home. I have a teadmil and a sit down bike (which i really don't like much because it hurts my back) and a TON of weights so if I make a little gym for myself at the house I think this is possible. I am the one who has to change things for myself. I know that I have done this to myself and no one can fix it but me.

Thanks! :)

Since you can't find full time work why don't you apply for a substitute teacher position to get your foot in the door- Its a good way to market yourself-

Also its really hard for anyone to find employment right not especially with all the lay offs with the economy- Don't beat yourself up everyone is going through it-- Don't leave other options out just because you can't find work as a teacher you have a college degree that can be used many ways and for many different jobs- Not to mention the school year is coming to an end- But in the future don't just look at schools close to you look at some within an hours driving time.
    Good luck
  • fragable17
    Options
    the main reason i got a gym membership is cause my best friend did and we live within two minutes of each other so it was easy for us to meet at the gym. and i paid the full year in advance with my tax refund so i lucked out on that. i actually like the idea of working out at home. the only reason i have trouble with that is my son LOVES to watch me but unfortunately sometimes he is just really distracting. but before the gym and before my ankle injury i used to jog outside. i actually like jogging more outside then on a treadmill. the only part of that is when there is bad weather or here in texas in summer it just gets TOO hot. but despite everything the hardest part for me is always just the getting started and making sure i'm not hurting my progress not by not doing the gym but by not eating properly.

one thing i have done to keep motivated and actually what started my major motivation last year is knowing that i wanted to dress up for halloween and be comfortable with what i wore. since i got a late start last year i lost about 15 pounds but i felt much healthier cause i was actually jogging on a daily basis. this year i have more time and even though i had gained about 5 pounds back that means i already started out 10 pounds lighter and in better shape. again my ankle energy kept me out of everything physical for over 2 months and i still can't do too much with it but i'm pushing myself to find new ways and already looked out halloween costumes to picture myself in. i am not one to aim for the body of models or celebrities but instead i picture clothes i want to wear and feel comfortable in and want to look good in and let that drive me. i know the halloween thing sounds silly but knowing that all my friends will look good in what they wear makes me want to look good in what i dress up as so for me it is the perfect driver to get me started. and once i start like i said i just feel so good that i don't want to stop.
  • brittgan
    brittgan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work in a school and all of the teachers need to have contracts signed by the end of this month. May 1st is when the open positions go for outside applicants. I personally got my foot in the door with substituting like someone else posted here. Remember the jobs you didnt get were just rehearsals for the job you WILL get. Keep trying and believe in yourself.

34170.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter