More of those scary scary girl muscles...

Options
Based on comments like "I don't want to get all bulky from strength training..." or "Barbie Dumbbells are all I need..."

My arms from June 2010 vs May 2011. Up to this point, most of my strength training was from EA Active Sports 2, which is has body weight exercises like planks, pushups, crunches, mountain climbers, etc and for the weight lifting portions, I used 5# dumbbells instead of the wimpy resistance straps that came with it. I used 2# dumbbells during the "Cardio Kickboxing" portions, but if I left the two-pounders lying around, my Pekingese would walk off with them.

I was very happy with the results. Before I lost weight - before I even realized I should lose weight - I was annoyed that my arms were so big and I had a hard time finding shirts that fit me properly. Shirts in a size small or medium fit my torso, but not my arms. Frustrating. If you told me then I should do weights, I would have laughed because I would have thought I'd burst through my seams like She-Hulk. Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

70s-80s.jpg

SINCE then, I realized that I wasn't getting sore at all after using the 5# dumbbells, and knew it was time to move up in the world, and I've been lifting about twice a week at the gym. I'm still a bit chickenpoop when it comes to free weights. I'm ridiculously clumsy and have a phobia of dropping them on my toes. But I'll get there. For now, I do the weight machines.

See how ENORMOUS and BULKY my arms have gotten?!

5-to11.jpg

I love having some shape and definition in my arms and I'm looking forward to getting more and more as time goes on. :happy:

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    OMG look at all of those disgusting muscles! Are you taking steroids for those?! Haha Jk you look fantastic!! Thanks for helping clear things up for the some of the ladies on her nervous about getting too bulky.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Nice progress! Now I will watch as this thread derails into a lock, but great job! =)
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    LOL! I fully enjoyed this entire thread. The puns. The She-Hulk reference <3 I'm always afraid to look just like her, but thinking about it now and looking at your pictures, I think she is heck of sexy! LOL

Great job :) I guess I'll have to pick up EA Active and some other great Wii/Kinect games.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Disgusting, you're turning into a MAN! :laugh:

Seriously, great job. Since I've been lifting (combination of heavy and Body Pump) I've definitely got some guns loaded which I'll fire off for my 30lbs down photo :happy:
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    :sad: Weight training!! The horrors!!!

Heehee, jk. Awesome job, Lorina. You look fantastic, and you made me LOL when you talked about the doggie walking off with the little wimpy weight. :laugh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You look lovely!

Don't be scared of the free weights! Free weights are awesome.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    your arms look great!! :) power to female guns!!!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Toned arms on a woman are so very sexy, rock it!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention the best part...

I've always been pretty strong. When I worked at an animal hospital, I was able to carry bags of dog food (or dogs themselves) up to 60#. When I built my patio two years ago, I loaded about 1500# of paver stones onto a cart at Lowes and pushed it through the garden center. I'm a stubborn mule who will push through things I just shouldn't be able to do.

But I was also injury prone. I through out my back once lifting a 23# cat out of a bottom kennel. I sprained my knee carrying a 60# dead dog down a flight of steps to be put in the deep freezer the served as our "morgue." I injured, re-injured, and re-re-injured my wrist time after time after time in 2008. My hips would pop out of joint at very inopportune moments with my husband. *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

I haven't had ANY injuries since I've been exercising. Well, except the two times last winter when I slipped on ice and fell down my back porch steps and bruised my tailbone. And I had some wicked bruises and cuts from Warrior Dash. But they were injuries resulting from accidents, not from overuse or improper use.

I love being as strong as my mind always thought I was! :heart:
  • ciorsdahmac
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Not she hulkish at all :-) pictures like these really motivate me to start lifting.
  • aripak
    aripak Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I find it so frustrating that people just don't get that it is really hard to build muscle and even harder to build *too much*. When I was at my fittest and lifting heavy 4 days a week I had 13 more pounds of muscle than I do now. I weighed the same as I do now...and I was at least 2 sizes smaller! No joke.You look awesome by the way, great motivation!
  • HazelElfwand
    Options
    great job - I love this! Can't wait to start seeing some definition in my arms!!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I am going to burn your pictures into my mind so when I'm lifting at the gym and want to scream that the weight is too heavy I won't give up. I want those arms.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You should talk about muscle. I have 12 inch biceps and really don't have to work for them. I love them. I love muscle in both sexes. Weak, flimsy bodies look awful. Strength is where it's at.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You are a source of inspiration to all. Thanks for posting. I love seeing your progress.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! Great job!!! You totally have to check out Lou Schuler's book, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" - he will make you not afraid of those free weights and get you off the machines!

I LOVE my muscles!!!! Congrats to you! You look GREAT!!!!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Love em!!!!! I am right behind you...even with summer being over I am going to Body works class and getting those arms in shape. I love some rockin arms! Good job!!!!

Time to go for a run to earn my Turkey Dinner and wine! Happy Thanksgiving:drinker:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You're a beautiful lady and I'm sure you'll inspire many people! Glad you showed them the goodness of weight training! Luv your pics! Keep up the great work. Don't you feel like you pushed back the clock a few years! Congrats!!!:happy:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You look great! :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump....I want to see at home