Hello from Scotland

Options
Hi, have just discovered this website and I'm really hoping it will help me lose weight. I've tried it all - Atkins, South Beach, those disgusting milkshake things - and manage to stick to them for about a week before falling off the wagon and eating massive amounts of chocolate.

I used to be a very skinny teenager and looking back started to put on weight when I started a job involving a lot of driving. Lots of hours in the car and lots of fuel stops = chocolate and crisps snacking. In the past 8 years I have had 3 kids, my youngest is 3 and a half and I have never really lost the baby weight.

I am 40 next May - 6 months away - and really really want to be nearer my target weight by then. I started off at 88kg (195lbs-ish) and my target weight is 65kg, or 143lbs. I am finding it OK so far, eating lots of tuna, salad, fish, vegetables and snacking on rice cakes and low calorie cereal bars.

I am trying to stick to 1200 calories per day but have no idea if this is too much or too little. With 3 small kids I don't really get the chance to go to the gym or the swimming pool as much as I'd like.

Replies

• Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm also from Scotland and am a similar age! Welcome to MFP - it's a great site and great community. It works if you stick to it!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    Hello...no need to go to the gym or pool...there are tons of activities you can do at home and with little darling hanging on your ankles...welcome to the site it is great...I have a few friends from across the pond..feel free to friend me if you like
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck on your journey! This is a great site along with great people! :flowerforyou:
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a mother who works all the time!! So I just try and stick to healthy stuff because I know I wont be able to work it off. But I am interested in seeing what other have to suggest for you. :)) Good luck :)
  • Jconner30
    Options
    Get you some good running shoes, bring up: http://www.mapmyrun.com and start using it to map routes out. Start RUNNING!!!
  • amymaria91
    Options
    Welcome! Nice to see someone from Scotland :happy: I live in England but was born and raised in Scotland 'til I was 8.

This website has helped me a lot. I was like you tried loads of times to lose weight but always put it back on, and some. I've found it really easy to stick to doing this and the support you can get from people on here is amazing! Build yourself a good set of friends and it will help keep you going.

In terms of exercise I don't go to a gym or pool. I bought an aerobic step and I do that on an evening whilst I'm wathcing tv and the time just flies by!! I also recently bought a rowing exerciser thing, not a big machine, just a resistance band sort of thing. It's a good cardio that also helps tone you. Sometimes I just stand and punch air for 20 minutes. My point is there is plenty you can do at home whilst the bairns are asleep or busy.

Send me a friend request if you want :bigsmile:
  • Manysongs
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a great site, lots of encouragement and inspiration. Good luck to you on your journey. Feel free to add me!!
    Lisa

10879315.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • scottchuk
    scottchuk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I'm also in Scotland, feel free to friend me if you like.

This website is great! I don't post much, but often trawl through the forums and finding tips, help and motivation from others that way.

Get the app on your phone and use it! It's so easy just to eat and enter your foods at the same time and you can accurately track your intake.

More than anything, enjoy it :D this is a life changing trip, and we're all here for you!

Good luck ;)
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know exactly how you feel! I'm nearing 40 and am the mother of 4 (ages 2-11) and I decided this summer that I really needed to get to a better place with my health. Like you I also have no access to a gym or pool but here's what worked/works for me:

I started off slow with yoga videos then up graded to more intense videos. I still go back to yoga often because I just love it!
    Here in the states you can order free videos through the cable but exerciseTV.com also has some free vids that you can download. My favorite thing to do is to take the little ones on 3 mile walks when the weather is nice.

The most important thing is to be consistent and to get back to it if you find yourself slacking. MFP is a great support system with really nice people. Feel free to 'friend' me if you like! Good luck to you!
  • Mski02
    Mski02 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm from foggy England!

I've been on here just over a month - I've been playing with the site a bit and starting to log (some) meals and excercise - I need to knuckle down and commit to tracking EVERYTHING and sticking to my calorie limit though!

M
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Welcome! You will find lots of support here. :)

Generally 1200 calories can be a bit on the low side, but that is dependent on height/weight, etc. If you put in your info MFP should give you an estimated amount of calories based on your goal.

If you have any questions feel free to message me!
  • PeigiBheag
    Options
    Hello. Another newbie from Scotland here. I just joined today. I have been exploring the site and like what i see so far!
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Fitness Pal. You are really going to like it. There's lot's of support and the the site is really user friendly. Count me as a friend if you like.
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi im Scottish too...and I stuggle massivly with our very tasty but very fatty diet :/

Add me if you wish x
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi im Scottish too...and I stuggle massivly with our very tasty but very fatty diet :/

Add me if you wish x

errr.....struggle...lol x
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hey - I'm from Central Scotland add me if you like

I am 44 with 3 lads (aged 18,19 & 20) and just joined this site last week - its great, really supportive :)
  • capergal
    capergal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a Canadian who turned 40 last month and decided it is time to get healthy again. You are going to love MFP.....add me if you like.
  • nansidhe
    nansidhe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You're really going to like it--not only do they have great tools, but there is so much encouragement and helpful advice and knowledge from our fellow members.

I'll also be turning 40 next year--feel free to add me as a friend as well. :o)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nansidhe
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi, have just discovered this website and I'm really hoping it will help me lose weight. I've tried it all - Atkins, South Beach, those disgusting milkshake things - and manage to stick to them for about a week before falling off the wagon and eating massive amounts of chocolate.

I used to be a very skinny teenager and looking back started to put on weight when I started a job involving a lot of driving. Lots of hours in the car and lots of fuel stops = chocolate and crisps snacking. In the past 8 years I have had 3 kids, my youngest is 3 and a half and I have never really lost the baby weight.

I am 40 next May - 6 months away - and really really want to be nearer my target weight by then. I started off at 88kg (195lbs-ish) and my target weight is 65kg, or 143lbs. I am finding it OK so far, eating lots of tuna, salad, fish, vegetables and snacking on rice cakes and low calorie cereal bars.

I am trying to stick to 1200 calories per day but have no idea if this is too much or too little. With 3 small kids I don't really get the chance to go to the gym or the swimming pool as much as I'd like.

SWEEEEEEEEET - I have friends in Kinlochleven....

Are you sure you arent getting your exercise already with three small children???? LOL!!! I remember my daughter kept me pretty darn busy when she was young!

Welcome aboard!