Low carb, high fiber yeast rolls-- just 80 calories/2 carbs

Options
LATeagno
LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
OK, so as a low carber, I've been experimenting with lower-carb bread forever. Most of the time, it flops. Most of the time, it tastes awful or doesn't rise properly.

Today, on the morning of Thanksgiving, I perfected a DELICIOUS low carb yeast roll (hello, perfect timing)! If you're a low-carber, you probably know about Carbquik--and if you don't, you should. (I buy mine at Netrition.com). It's a low-carb baking product that is similar to Bisquik. I all but gave up on Carbquik because everything I made with it had a bizarre and disappointing flavor (or texture), but after literally YEARS of experimenting with it, I've come to love it. Here's my yeast roll recipe. Each roll is 80 calories, 2 net carbs, 14 grams of fiber (yes, 14-- that's how Carbquik has such a low net carb count), 5 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein.

2iuxpo6.jpg

Low Carb Flax Yeast Rolls

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups Carbquik
3 T ground flax seed
2T Vital Wheat Gluten (you can buy this at the grocery store; it's cheap and usually right above the flour shelf)
1/2 Cup warm water
1 1/2 T dry active yeast (1.5 packets)
1 T plus 2 tsp. sugar (this is eaten by the yeast and does not add carbs)
2 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Dissolve sugar into warm water and mix in yeast, then set aside.
3. In mixer with hook/kneading attachment, add Carbquik, ground flax, vital wheat gluten and salt.
4. Slowly pour in yeast/water mixture and knead on low speed for 7-8 minutes.
5. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces, then roll each into a ball. (I stretch them out slightly and pull the dough toward the bottom to make a uniform shape.)
6. Put dough balls into a muffin pan that is greased with nonstick spray.
7. Allow to rise in a warm place for up to an hour, until dough has at least doubled in bulk.
8. Bake at 325 for approximately 15 minutes, or until tops of rolls are golden brown in color.

Voila!!!

Replies