Manchester (CT, USA) Annual Thanksgiving Day Race

Options
So every year a bunch of everyone I know runs this race. http://www.manchesterroadrace.com/

There are serious runners and a ton of folks dress up in silly costumes and run. Today I saw Wayne Gretzky, some bannanas, Superwoman, Superman, Indians, Pilgrims, Waldo, Men in Tuxedos, lots of people spray painted different colors, a few gorrilas, a full turkey dinner including silverware, Santa Claus - you get the picture. My favorites were the 2 army guys in full uniform, including their boots and rucksack and a sole Marine running with the flag.

Today I am 209 lbs and can't run for 1 minute. My brother asked me to run this race with him this year. This year he finished in 40 minutes so of course I said no. Next year though - I am thinking maybe I can.

Has anyone else been able to go from 90lbs overweight and not able to run at all to being able to do a 5k in a year? I know that I am unable to work out every day. Maybe if I can't run it I could walk it instead. Thoughts?

Replies

• daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it. I did my first 5K one year ago today. Since then, I've done 5 races and now have a pace of under a 10 min. mile for over 6 miles. I do not train and only run 1x a month due to knee problems.

Start out running a block, then walking a block, and continue to add more running.

Best of luck!
  • run4life21
    run4life21 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ofcourse you can do it. just start slow. start just by walking and soon you'll be running. there are great training programs on the web or just go at your own pace.
    Start by walking and then just run for 1 min and walk for a minute and you continue to do that and soon you'll be running 5 km.

good luck and keep moving. you don't have to work out everydays a few days a week is sufficient.