I did it! I ran a 5k!

Options
No one in my circle wants to hear me carry on and on and on, but I want to shout from the rooftops. I RAN A 5K! I am 50 pounds overweight, 43 years old, and I RAN A 5K! My time was not great, 11:29 / mile average, but I am thrilled because I just started running in September. It's only stronger from here, right? Three of my children came as well. I wish I would have put a timer on my 10 year old, because he kicked my tail. He finished way before me. My daughters both ran/walked. What a great way to start out this Thanksgiving Day!

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!! Don't be ashamed of your time.. I'm run/walking 14:00 minute miles, so you are faster than me! :)

Congrats!
  • WannaBeSlimJim2
    WannaBeSlimJim2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Scream it woman, scream it...get a fog horn and get everyone's attention for achieving such a phemonimal goal! That is so awesome, I hope you aren't caring too much about your time..cause I think..who cares...YOU JUST RAN A 5K,,,you PARTICIPATED I think is the biggest thing...no?

Huge Kuddos to you...I wonder what it will take for me to get off my *kitten*? lol

WELL DONE, FABULOUS, SUPER DUPER, BOOH YA!!!!!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT NEWS! :D How good is that feeling of running a 5k for the first time.

Modesty be damned, shout it from the rooftops!! :D
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That's amazing well done. Inspiring. I hate running but want to start doing it - so that i will come to the point where i can honestly say that i dont run because I dont want to, rather than because I cant!
  • zooflute
    Options
    Wait til you run your second one! You'll love it!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!! Shout it from the rooftops girl! That is a hell of a great accomplishment:)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! I aspire to hit 11:30 minute miles, so don't despair about your speed - you did something most people will never do and you should be really proud of what you accomplished today.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Fabulous - you keep on shouting - what a great achievement!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones :-)
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!!! Not only did YOU run a marathon but your kids did too!! You're all going to be around a lot longer and have a better quality of life! THAT"S what happens when a woman gets IT, DOES IT, AND TAKES IT. You've got this!
  • Kell_5
    Kell_5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Well done !!!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Well done great achievement.
  • shangunnell
    Options
    so proud of you..I know the joy you are feeling, I didn't start running until July & now I can actually run..I'm doing a 5k Dec. 10th...can't wait...Sooo proud of you...Keep shouting ;)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I say scream louder!!!! You did it!! That's awesome. =)
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I cannot wait to get back to running outside! The snow is dampering my running at the moment!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't even know you but I need you to yell it from the rooftops & mountaintops!! I AM SOOOO PROUD OF YOU!! It makes me more happy to know your kids were with you too! Have a wonderful rest of your journey and enjoy this day as well!
  • jeserek
    Options
    5k and you've only been running since September! Massive congrats on the effort!! :-)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Carry on all you want here. This is where you do it! Glad you shared. It's really motivating. I'm not overweight, but never really built up any running skills/endurance. Good for you!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep it up and you won't know yourself soon. It is a wonderful thing!
  • loseramy68
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words and support. It means the world to me.