Old lady needing support

Options
Hi everyone, okay I'm not that old really, soon to be 50. But man I feel so old, tired and out of breath. Looking for a group to help me out. I'll be a grandmother for the first time in January and I really want to keep up with her (yes, I'll have a little granddaughter :happy: ). It breaks my heart that I've let it go to the point of having trouble breathing. Any suggestions for a group???

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    You are SOOOOO not old. We have a great group called "Women 40+ and Feeling Fine" under the Groups tab, and they're a great group of supportive women. If you're interested, just message me! :flowerforyou:

Hang in there -- this place is FANTASTIC, and the tools are really really helpful, effective, and user-friendly.
    WELCOME!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Old?????????? Since when is 50 old???
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    You aren't old! My husband is 50, and we have a 17 month old, 3 year old, and 5 year old! lol Good luck! I don't do the groups, but I always think I should. :)
  • Magnolia0362
    Magnolia0362 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Old?????????? Since when is 50 old???

LOL ... Let me clarify ... I'M NOT OLD ... I'M JUST FEELING TOO OLD FOR WHAT I AM ... :laugh:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    START MOVING. Seriously, I used to get out of breath horribly just going up stairs. Now I can run up them and not be out of breath. Take a 10 minute walk or whatever you can handle without feeling like you're going to collapse. Add on more time everyday. I'd also recommend water aerobics as the water really helps you if your muscles aren't used to exercise. You can push yourself as much or as little to get a decent workout. I go to a class where I'm the youngest and we have 70-80 year old ladies in it. They don't jump as high as I do or run as fast, but they certainly get a good workout in the water. I started doing this 12 years ago after I had back surgery and couldn't move without pain. I started up again last summer when I sprained my foot and couldn't do land aerobics. I really love it as the water supports you while offering resistance and helping to build your muscles. 12 years ago I went from barely able to twist my torso and not being able to do a situp in the water to full range of motion in my torso and now I can do at least 50 situps with my legs over the side of the pool!
  • Magnolia0362
    Options
    START MOVING. Seriously, I used to get out of breath horribly just going up stairs. Now I can run up them and not be out of breath. Take a 10 minute walk or whatever you can handle without feeling like you're going to collapse. Add on more time everyday. I'd also recommend water aerobics as the water really helps you if your muscles aren't used to exercise. You can push yourself as much or as little to get a decent workout. I go to a class where I'm the youngest and we have 70-80 year old ladies in it. They don't jump as high as I do or run as fast, but they certainly get a good workout in the water. I started doing this 12 years ago after I had back surgery and couldn't move without pain. I started up again last summer when I sprained my foot and couldn't do land aerobics. I really love it as the water supports you while offering resistance and helping to build your muscles. 12 years ago I went from barely able to twist my torso and not being able to do a situp in the water to full range of motion in my torso and now I can do at least 50 situps with my legs over the side of the pool!

I agree, very good advice. I used to hike all the time and I felt great. I've bought a treadmill for the winter now so there's really no excuse ... now that I've joined here I'll be more accountable. So far today my eating has been great and the water drinking too ... tonight I'll plunk in one of my Zumba dvd's and get my groove on. I can't believe the responses and friend requests I've received. Thank you all so much. With all this advice and support there really is no reason for me to fail.

thankyou04b.gif
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    You will do great! We're only as old as we feel!!

:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • loseramy68
    Options
    I'm a 43 year old mother of an 8 year old and a 10 year old at home, and a grandmother of two 1 year olds that visit often. They were wearing me out, so I started moving. No excuses, just 30 minutes a day six days a week. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. What I can't believe is now great I feel after only three short months. It will be sooooo worth it! You can do this. And welcome to grandma-hood - it is the greatest! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    old lady? I'm 44 and no where near being old! You sure your looking for friends! LOL
  • biggranny05
    Options
    Hi, almost 50, soon to be grandma, you are as old as you feel. Yea sometimes I feel 80 and I am 60. My mother is 86 yrs young and gets around better than me. She begged me to lose the weight to get healthy, worried that I would have a heart attack or something. I am a grandma also and realized I need to be there for them too. But, you know it is all about for yourself too. You want to be able to do the things you were able to do when you were younger. I know I can't do a cartwheel, or run and jump, but I would love to be able to just walk more than a 1/2 a block without stopping to catch my breath. It is still hard to get motivated, but at least I got a head start. All you can do is keep on just keeping on.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!! I ran 16 miles between yesterday and today.... 38 miles so far this week. Starting my Karate class this weekend! 50 is not old!
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So you're feeling a little OFF (Old Fat and Female, I made that up at work one night to describe how I felt about myself). Come join us in the group.

I'm working on going from being OFF to being FLOFFY. Why be FLUFFY when you can be FLOFFY (Fabulously Lean Older Female Feeling Younger) I made this up too.

Welcome to the club.
  • Magnolia0362
    Options
    So you're feeling a little OFF (Old Fat and Female, I made that up at work one night to describe how I felt about myself). Come join us in the group.

I'm working on going from being OFF to being FLOFFY. Why be FLUFFY when you can be FLOFFY (Fabulously Lean Older Female Feeling Younger) I made this up too.

Welcome to the club.

Thank you ... what group ... where can I find it?
  • felicity866
    Options
    I am with the old lady......turning 50 next august and DO NOT WANT TO BE FAT!!!! so tell me where this group is so i can join too please!

by the way i started the c25k last week and while the first couple of days nearly did me in...it is great...i feel like i can move again!! (will be repeating week 1 for a while until i am ready to move on to week 2 but at least i am moving).

have a great day everyone!
  • Kell_5
    Kell_5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Given I'm 61, you don't know old :o) However, welcome to the rest of your life, this journey may at times be bumpy but so worth it. You have found a wonderful supportive place to be, so much help freely given.

Best wishes with this journey and good luck with the grandmother business, I have 9 and they really are my reason for being
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    You are SOOOOO not old. We have a great group called "Women 40+ and Feeling Fine" under the Groups tab, and they're a great group of supportive women. If you're interested, just message me! :flowerforyou:

Hang in there -- this place is FANTASTIC, and the tools are really really helpful, effective, and user-friendly.
    WELCOME!

Hello..I'm 42..how can I join this group please?
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Welcome to the club.

Thank you ... what group ... where can I find it?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/820-40-50-but-younger-next-year
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're old then I'm ancient! LOL! Seriously, I'm 55 and the nana to a terrific 3 year granddaughter! I'm so excited for you on that aspect! Please add me as a friend. This group of people are the best! I've been doing this since May and have lost almost 12 pounds. I'm not one to do a bunch of jumping up and down and going to the gym. I do ride my bike and/or walk at least 40 minutes most days. Any little bit helps. Good luck!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I was an ancient old hag of 53, but after 6 months of MFP I feel fitter and better than ever before! Just wish they would recognise my potential as a marketing tool and offer me lots of commission! :wink:
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    50 is NOT old ! I'm turning 49 in a few weeks and just this morning I got a wolf whistle from from a guy half my age as I was doing my run, lol. Never give up, and everything is possible with the right attitude. This website is amazing for help and support, you will do great!