drinking alcohol...

Options
so, I'm pleased with how my weight loss is going, however part of that may be because I haven't had a night out in a while. :drinker: The way it usually works is that I have a normal days food (1200cals say) then drink about 2 bottles of wine (which I already drink very long with soda water- i drink fast) and finish the evening (or rather morning!) taking a pizza to bed with me. If that was not bad enough I'm possibly even worse with a hangover - ALL i want is sandwiches, biscuits and cakes. Usually two cheat days is enough to make me give up... So, this week i'm trying to plan my evening in advance, and maybe get some advice from all you lovely MFP-ers, or failing that, stay in? :sad:

Replies

• aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thats a pretty big binge. Its good tho that you learned from it and are now planning for the future.

Its not really great advice.. and I wouldnt suggest it.. But my experience was the last time I drank (about four shots of whiskey) it all came back up as well as the chips and dinner I had.. So no calories.. but boy was I sick.

Not to mention the next day I couldnt eat a thing. Thankfully I had breakfast anytime drinks for the day, Its what I lived on that day. (Did I mention this was during a weekend I was snowboarding the whole time, trying to get my Bindings on without any balance was halarious)

As for real advice, Drink a glass of wine, then a glass of water one after the other throughout the night. and DONT bring anything to bed. Plan to not eat a thing three hours before you go to sleep. That way you get what you want but also fill your body with whats good for it (water) As for hangover, you gotta just find stuff that your tummy will accept that is low calorie. No way around that.
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    I've started offering to be Designated Driver, that way I'm limited to one drink (if that!)

-or-

When you go out, go somewhere with a dance floor and shake yer moneymaker - making sure to log it as exercise!

Also, carry cash instead of running a tab so once you've run out of cash then drink water after.

Plan ahead and eat lightly (but enough that you don't get drunk super quickly!)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Make it a point to get right back on track the day after a "cheat day" and everything will work out splendidly. Cheat days are good for you, for various reasons. But don't fall off the wagon because of them.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought this was an invitation! :happy: :drinker:

I'd suggest staying away from it a bit if you know it is a weakness or just set a goal, limit yourself and don't get to the point where you'll become weak and take a pizza to bed. I have better things in mind that may burn calories and not ruin your diet! :bigsmile: Just kidding!
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You dont have to stay in but budget your drinks and pre plan.

I usually do a really high cal exercise activity and then eat really clean that day.

So lets say I make 550 cals from a class.

i have a really healthy brekkie lunch and dinner. (800 - 1000 cals) I also make sure I go to the supermarket and get food i love but is quite healthy to eat when I am hungover.

500 + 100 - 200 is about 10 vodkas.

I also make myself go for a walk the next day. And keep my water levels up as high as I can

On another note as well. Vodka sodas, or vodka sprite zeros are only 67 cals, rather than a glass of white ranging anywhere between 98 - 140 cals.
  • mrsc86
    mrsc86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love a drink but actually went out tonight and had 2 diet cokes and still enjoyed myself. Try and eat a big meal before a night out to keep the drunken munches at bay
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    so, I'm pleased with how my weight loss is going, however part of that may be because I haven't had a night out in a while. :drinker: The way it usually works is that I have a normal days food (1200cals say) then drink about 2 bottles of wine (which I already drink very long with soda water- i drink fast) and finish the evening (or rather morning!) taking a pizza to bed with me. If that was not bad enough I'm possibly even worse with a hangover - ALL i want is sandwiches, biscuits and cakes. Usually two cheat days is enough to make me give up... So, this week i'm trying to plan my evening in advance, and maybe get some advice from all you lovely MFP-ers, or failing that, stay in? :sad:

good god how do you continue to consume that?
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I love my wine...and vodka. I am a typical binge drinker....bottle of wine then onto the vodka!

I'm trying to alternate weekends at the mo...one drinking one not. This will be hard now with the build up to xmas. As previously said, try to eat well on the day of the splurge and plan ahead. Make sure you drink a load of water before during and after your session! I crave carbs all day after a big drink and end up eating some really random stuff that i wouldn;t normally have. Maybe try and have more spirits like vodka or gin with soda water or diet drinks. get some better carbs in the next day, wholemeal pitta bread etc and protein.

Instead of having pizza when you get in maybe have a banana and some toast...or even a bag of crisps. the pizza is well heavy and greasy. Last time i made a pizza drunk i gave myself thrid degree burns...learnt my lesson there!
  • flath2okayak
    Options
    Share a bottle with a friend and let it end there!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking your wine "very long" with soda water, just drink the soda water plain, that's what I do these days and I really don't miss the wine in it as much as I thought.

Assuming you're in enjoyable company the lack of alcohol won't stop you having a great time, if you're bored staying sober with them, get some more interesting friends! :D
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    There is approx 100 cals in 1 ounce of hard alcohol... count 100 per drink even if vodka water.

Eat smart pop not pizza... and don't keep that crap food in the house... on hangover day drink lots of water, a piece of toast with jam and go back to sleep until you can make better choices.
  • Lfirefox34
    Options
    I used to drink quite frequently with my college friends. I have lost 30lbs and have 30 more to go but I found that drinking usually puts me behind in my goals by about two weeks. My advice is to plan your evening ahead and talk to your friends.

My friends know I have worked hard and are very supportive in keeping me at my two drink mininmum. My other advice is to eat before you go out and carry a healthy snack with you.

Also try going dancing, or snow shoeing or something where you do not have to drink to have fun. I was surprised at how much fun we have without drinking. :)
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options

good god how do you continue to consume that?

he he do you mean the alcohol? i drink it over a long time (i start at about 7pm, finish about 1-2am) but i only do it every 2-3 weeks, and don't really drink at all inbetween. When i was a student, i moved away for four months and put on 12lbs and two dress sizes (looks a lot on me!)pretty all down to alcohol, it's what everyone at Uni seemed to be doing...)
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's just a case of planning ahead. I'm going out to an annual dinner dance tomorrow evening and I know that I'll be going over my calories. My plan is to dance a lot to burn some off, space my drinks out with water, and I've organised a busy day of DIY on Saturday so I know I'll have to be up and about and will get some exercise so that'll get me right back on track =)

Enjoy your evening!
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    Make sure you have healthy snacks ready in the fridge for when you get in at night and when you get up in the morning (or just some healthy cereal, make sure you drink a pint of water before going to sleep and have more water on standby for during the night and when you wake up. And don't drink so much wine in the first place, have some fruit juice instead it's still a treat and contains some vitamins at least! The reason you crave carbs the next day is because alcohol messes with your blood sugar levels and so you need to boost these, but better to do it with a slow release food like cereal, or a high protein breakfast.
  • BrittanyAlexisN
    Options
    I know its not for everyone but I have cut out alcohol completely. I have decided to live the healthiest life I can and alcohol really doesn't have a place in it anymore. So far I have only found positive effects:
    1. I have more $ since I am not drinking my $ away.
    2: No more hangovers!
    3. Weight loss
    4. I am more hydrated and my skin looks amazing.
    5. I don't ever have to worry about a DUI/ drunken oops night? or any other embarrasing drunken event again

I am so much happier and healthier without it. Once again, like I said, it may not be for everyone, but it is perfect for me :)