Some of you may be against this but...

Options
stylistchik
stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
So my bad habit is mindless snacking. I saw in a magazine a while back an add for 'slim shots" its like a coffee creamer that is an appetite suppressant. I couldn't find them and i'm not all into chemicals so I put it off. Well I stumbled upon them in walmart yesterday and took a look at the box... its not a stimulant its a blend of fats and oils that keep you feeling full longer. I bought some. what the heck.

I LOVE them! I took one at work to keep me from bored snacking and it worked all afternoon! I got so much more done because I wasn't wondering when I could steal time for some lunch! Then I took one after dinner to keep from mindless late snacking. I woke up this morning without hunger pains from eating so late the night before! I think this will help me set these new habits into place for good!

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    So my bad habit is mindless snacking. I saw in a magazine a while back an add for 'slim shots" its like a coffee creamer that is an appetite suppressant. I couldn't find them and i'm not all into chemicals so I put it off. Well I stumbled upon them in walmart yesterday and took a look at the box... its not a stimulant its a blend of fats and oils that keep you feeling full longer. I bought some. what the heck.

I LOVE them! I took one at work to keep me from bored snacking and it worked all afternoon! I got so much more done because I wasn't wondering when I could steal time for some lunch! Then I took one after dinner to keep from mindless late snacking. I woke up this morning without hunger pains from eating so late the night before! I think this will help me set these new habits into place for good!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in each? How many are you drinking a day?
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Do they taste good?
  • brandnewsummerb
    Options
    Wow, sounds amazing! I'm usually against that sort of thing too, but I've been out of control lately. I'm glad they're working so well for you. I'm at my wits end with the lack of self control/stress so mayyyybe I'll give them a try :)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    From their website: "SlimShots™ contains natural oat and palm oil. Artificial vanilla flavor and sweetener are added for a great taste."

They have 20 calories and 2 g fat per serving.

https://www.slimshots.com/ingredients.asp
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers help with this as well and are only 35 calories for a whole one.....thks for the info on the slimshots i have seen them but never really heard anyone post about them..thks:drinker:
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Seems there are a lot of products coming onto the market, to do the same thing. I agree, that we can usually find our own appetite suppressants - such as a cucumber. I was elated when I realized that olives were low cal...
    I'm going to check into those slim shots. My worst time is after supper. I could eat non-stop in the evening, so anything that prevents me from doing this is tops on my list.
  • melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have also seen the slim shots in advertisments and have wondered about them but if they are full of fats and oils it seems like it would be really fattening even if its helping you with not eating snacks. But if youdont see a weight increase from it and it works for you then go for it :smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Well it's hard to take a cucumber in your purse or diaper bag! LOL

I am excited to see it's just natural oils, etc. and not some chemical that really doesn't work but can cause long term health problems... so maybe I will try them too. Evenings are my time of just dying for a snack when I know I really don't need to eat, maybe they will help!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :huh: I don't understand how those ingredients would actually help curb your hunger. I think that may be a placebo effect. It sounds like it's more for flavour than anything. I drink water or herbal tea to curb my hunger. No calories, no chemicals, and just as easy to take on the go as coffee is.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    what size is this product? Are you drinking an ounce, a cup?

I have heard of diets where you consume a tablespoon of oil right before meals, ont he same theory, that all those fat calories will eliminate hunger, but they sound sketchy.

Oil is so calorically dense- if they are made of oil, how could they be only 20 calories? They must have other ingredients.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I just checked the website, and they also contain artificial and natural flavor, aspartame, beta carotene and :ohwell: phenylalanine.

Be careful with this kind of product.....

you can get a feeling of fullness from high quality fiber rich foods and avoid the artificial stuff.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I saw an ad in a magazine for a powder you sprinkle on your food "to reduce the effects of carbohydrates!" Sounds pretty weird to me. Has anyone seen it?
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    But my question on this...and I mean it honestly is...If you dont make yourself accountable for snacking...and take this substitute to supress your appetite, do you plan to take these the rest of your life? I really dont mean this in any way other than an honest response. I'm honestly curious as to the long term plan...snacking is a nasty habit and is way more psychological and requires many months of conditioning yourself to just say no and learn ways to put that energy into something else.....so Im curious, is this something you would consider taking forever?
  • Tamrahan
    Tamrahan Posts: 29
    Options
    Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid since other amino acids are formed from it in the body. Along with tyrosine, it provides raw material from which the body makes the hormones adrenaline and thyroxine. The body can also convert phenylalanine to tyrosine but not vice versa.

Phenylalanine comes in two forms, L-phenylalanine (LPA) and D-phenyalanine (DPA), which are mirror images of each other. LPA has the nutritional value, while DPA has painkilling and depression-alleviating properties. A third form, DL-phenylalanine (DLPA) is both nutritional and therapeutic.

Recommended Daily Allowance - Phenylalanine
    Men 16 mg
    Women 16 mg
    Children 22 mg
    Infants 132 mg

Phenylalanine Benefits - Functions in the Body
    Phenylalanine is effective for weight control because of its effect on thyroid secretion. It also plays an important role in the control of appetite. If taken before meals, it suppresses the appetite substantially. This amino acid is also essential for the efficient functioning of the kidneys and the bladder.

Phenylalanine has many therapeutic uses. It is considered beneficial in the treatment of obesity and is being successfully employed as an appetite suppressant for this condition. It has been demonstrated that in the intestinal tract, the amino acids tryptophan and phenylalanine trigger the release of cholycystokinin (CCK) which induces satiety, and a termination of eating.

An intake of half a teaspoon of phenylalanine powder 30 minutes before each meal, can lead to a loss of as much as 100 to 200 g of weight a day.

Studies have shown that DLPA can alleviate the pains of chronic conditions such as arthritis, lower back pain and headaches by protecting endorphins - the natural pain- blocking hormones secreted by the nerve cells. You may buy phenylalanine here.

The other positive effects noticed after 24-48 hours of taking phenylalanine are a feeling of greater alertness, an increase in sexual interest, and memory enhancement. It diminishes depressant feelings, if any. The depressant states are generally relieved within a few days by taking 100 mg-500 mg of 1-phenylalanine per day.

Phenylalanine Food Sources
    Phenylalanine is found in abundance in curd, milk, cottage cheese, pulses and legumes, poultry, piyal seeds, groundnuts, pistachio nuts, almonds, leafy vegetables, and whole grains.

Phenylalanine Deficiency Symptoms
    Deficiency of phenylalanine can lead to a variety of symptoms including bloodshot eyes, cataract, and several behavioural changes, such as psychotic and schizophrenic behaviour.

Phenylalanine Side Effects - Phenylalanine Dangers
    Excessive dosage of phenylalanine can cause irritability, insomnia and high blood pressure. Caution should be observed in the use of phenylalanine in hypertensive individuals. Low doses of around 100 mg daily should be taken by anyone with suspected high blood pressure, and a check should be kept on pressure levels. Phenylalanine should not be taken by those who are taking drugs such as Aldomet for high blood pressure.

http://www.vitaminsdiary.com/amino-acids/phenylalanine.htm
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'll echo chulie's sentiments. The main focus of MFP is on becoming healthy, not losing weight. Appetite suppresion is the same as any other symptom suppresion, it will come back if you treat only the symptom. Can it help you lose weight? Sure, probably, but is it a long term solution to a weight issue, I say no way. Until a person can learn to control their eating habits, they are masking the problems not eliminating them.
  • Rottiemama
    Options
    I think if you use it to get over a "hump" until you feel more managable than you should do it. I take something called 5-Htp which is also an amino acid. It helps with depression and it controls carb craving. I take it for depression and it is something your body makes naturally. I found out after the fact that it helps with carb craving. I lost 1 1/2 ft of my colon to a surgery and my body wasn't producing the amoni acid in the quantity my body required. The amino acid is made in the colon so for me it is a no brainer....good luck and again review all the info and advice that we all give and do what is right for you. That is the beauty of great input from lots of different well intentioned folks!!
  • eammarx
    eammarx Posts: 56
    Options
    so you put it in your coffee? hmmm sounds interesting :drinker: I drink coffee daily
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    From their website: "SlimShots™ contains natural oat and palm oil. Artificial vanilla flavor and sweetener are added for a great taste."

They have 20 calories and 2 g fat per serving.

https://www.slimshots.com/ingredients.asp

Palm oil IS a trans fat and even though the label says zero trans fat it isn't true, but its your body and if you want to put the artificial sweetner and palm oil in your coffee it is your choice :drinker: