First Marathon Training

Options
So it's been a long time dream of mine to run a Marathon. I've been thinking about it and I'd like to run the Adidas Auckland Marathon 11 months from now. I figure 11months is enough time to train?. Are there some good websites or training programmes peeps can recommend?

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I like the Hal Higdon site. Lots of info and programs there. Good luck!
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    awesome thanks just checking it out now :D

I'm begining to wonder can I do this without some sort of coaching I really am starting from scratch obviously I'm going to start with smaller runs and build up as I am truly a beginner but the more I read the more nervous I get lol
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you have any running experience? If you are truly starting from scratch 11 months is not a lot of time to build to a marathon. If you are super-fit because of other activities it's possible but if not I would say you are risking injury. You might want to start with smaller goals and work your way up (ie. train for a 5K first, then a 10K, then a half marathon). I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but since I don't know you or anything about your background I just want to warn you of the potential problems.
  • AquaAura
    Options
    I welcome any advice, I'm not unfit and I do various other cardio stuff but I'm not super fit either :). A few months ago I was running 7Ks reasonably well. I use to be a distance runner so its not completely new to me. But I've been a bit slack on it lately and I have done a distance race in years. A Marathon is way out there for me and a whole other ball game so I'm keen to look into training etc and see what its gonna take to get me to the start line!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely recommend running a couple of half marathons first so you know what you're in for.

That said, I like Hal Higdon and have used his schedules to train for halves but make sure you incorporate strength training in there somewhere as well. Hal doesn't really emphasize it much in his schedules but its really important.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Okay based on your experience then I would say it will be tough but it's do-able. Just make sure you listen to your body. Good luck to you!
  • loseramy68
    Options
    No advice, just want to wish you the best in your training!
  • AquaAura
    Options
    thanks guys well its my 2012 new years resolution/goal ... so who knows I suppose I better think about getting started lol