Changing My Goal!

Options
I am currently at a manual goal of 1400 and I am debating changing my goal to 1250 at the beginning of the year. I am a very slow loser ,which is good, but I want to keep it up a little. Currently, I have my exercise goal at 5 days at 30 minute per workout. However, I go over that most weeks. Trust me I know this is not a race but I have been on since the last week in April and I have lost 26 lbs.

I want to know what some of you are doing. I am not asking for a debate or anything like that. I want to read what some of you who have lose awesome amount of weight did or doing.

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I just changed my goal... from 1200 calories to 1330.

The scale had not been moving for a few weeks, so I needed to switch things up. I feel like 1200 is too low!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My loss has been like yours. I started in May and have lost 25 pounds. I'm just going to keep on the way I am. I figure success is success, even if it is slow and steady. I don't want to mess it up!
  • DarleneIsAwesome
    DarleneIsAwesome Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you currently doing?
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you currently doing?

I do Leslie Sansone dvds, walk out doors and ride my exercise bike.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I limit my calories to around 1500, never eat my exercise calories back, well I can't say never I have a couple times on special occassions (two weddings and today I ate some as well), When I started I completely eliminated starches only carbohydrates came from green non sugary vegetables, and I exercise like a madman. I started out with walking about 2 miles a day 40 minutes when I began, now I jog about 6 miles in an hour. I do strictly cardio days about 60 minutes give or take a few, and I have three light cardio and weight training/core exercise days for an hour. When I began I was only on about 1000 calories a day with 3 out of my 4 meals coming from meal replacement shakes and bars.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've been at it since April 2010. At first it went pretty quickly. But this past year has been a crawl. MFP originally gave me 1460 cals a day. I stuck to about 1300. MFP has since dropped my daily cals now that I'm lighter. It sets me to 1360 a day and i stick to that. I workout 5-6 days a week with most lasting at least an hour and several going more like 90 minutes. Combination of Gym Circuit, stationary bike, weights and treadmill. I use an HRM and target a weekly goal of 4000 cals burned from exercise. Still the wait loss is slow. But I figure I got big over time. I can get smaller over time too.

Good luck!
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd keep yours where it is, be it slow, the weight loss IS happening and IME it usually is more long term if you lose it slow and steady.
  • Mary1757
    Options
    I have tried to eat less than what my goal calories are. I have it set for to lose one pound a week. I started in the middle of August and have been doing pretty good.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell, but from your goal weight loss, I am actually thinking that your 1400 cals is too low compare to your actual weight and therefore BMR. If you eat too little your body go into starvation mode and you lose less quickly. If you don't do it manually and let MFP calculate it, what does it come up with?
    Also your diary is close but the kind of food you eat is as important as the cals.
    Everybody is different so it is hard to really give advice. You have to learn to listen to your body. For me carbs is the tougher. I can eat whatever I want but have to moderate carbs. I eat 1 or 2 portions of starchy food per day maximum.
    I would say do an experiment. Try two weeks with less cal (maybe 200cals): Write down how much you lose, then try 2 weeks with more (also about 200) and see which one makes you lose more. Try to keep exercise fairly same and of course listen to your body. For instance are you feeling more hungry, more tired or less, etc... write them down... and compare.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Me I set it up for 1.5 lb a week. I eat some of my exercise calorie back. At least half and generally closer to 3/4. And I have been losing consistently, 43lb starting mid march. At the beginning, I didn't exercise but changed my food to way less starch, more fiber, more protein, not too much fat. When I started having a plateau (after about 2 months), I started exercising. At the next plateau (another 2 months), I started counting calories (before that my diet said eat as much veggies and lean protein as desired, 2 portions of fruit max, 2 portions of dairy max, controlled amount of starchy vegetable or pasta, rice, etc..) Since then no problem. Some week I loose 1/2lb (you know period thing..) then next week 3lb... on average it is what I set up ie 1.5lb a week... I have been losing more consistently since I started C25K though.