Stretching

Options
I have a couple of questions...

First, what kinds of stretches should I be doing before vs. after my workout? I think I remember reading somewhere that there are different stretches and that some aren't good for you before a workout. I always stretch for 10-15 minutes before any workout and I'm hoping I'm not doing this wrong:huh:

Which leads me to my next question. I REALLY need a good back stretch, but I have certain limitations... I cannot cross the middle of my body with my left leg and I cannot bring my left leg to my torso any closer that 90 degrees(hip surgery precautions).:grumble: So, any PTs out there, what can I do??? I need to stretch my lower back.

Please help:flowerforyou:

p.s I have a little leeway on the 90 degrees, but not much. I'm dying to sit in child's pose for an hour!!

Replies

• ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I have a couple of questions...

First, what kinds of stretches should I be doing before vs. after my workout? I think I remember reading somewhere that there are different stretches and that some aren't good for you before a workout. I always stretch for 10-15 minutes before any workout and I'm hoping I'm not doing this wrong:huh:

Which leads me to my next question. I REALLY need a good back stretch, but I have certain limitations... I cannot cross the middle of my body with my left leg and I cannot bring my left leg to my torso any closer that 90 degrees(hip surgery precautions).:grumble: So, any PTs out there, what can I do??? I need to stretch my lower back.

Please help:flowerforyou:

p.s I have a little leeway on the 90 degrees, but not much. I'm dying to sit in child's pose for an hour!!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to get child's pose. I can't get my duff on my heels and lay my forehead on the floor. It seems impossible for me.

What kind of exercise are you doing? That might help people answer what kind of stretches you need.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    i always strecth after my muscles are warmed up not before. Try a Fit Roller for stretching out your back, that are large hard foam tubes available at Target, they work great for stretching out your back and also for rolling out your legs.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As far as not getting into child's poses you can always put a pillow under your butt and sit on that while you are in the stretch.

Your hip precautions are really going to limit you as far as any flexion goes and that's what you need to stretch it out.....unless you wanna go the opposite direction and do some extension stretches.

You could try laying prone (tummy on the ball) on top of a exercise ball. That will give you a little flexion in your back.

Whatever you do DON'T BOUNCE while you stretch. A slow gentle stretch prevents injury. Hold it 30 seconds to a minute each time.
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    As far as not getting into child's poses you can always put a pillow under your butt and sit on that while you are in the stretch.

Your hip precautions are really going to limit you as far as any flexion goes and that's what you need to stretch it out.....unless you wanna go the opposite direction and do some extension stretches.

You could try laying prone (tummy on the ball) on top of a exercise ball. That will give you a little flexion in your back.

Whatever you do DON'T BOUNCE while you stretch. A slow gentle stretch prevents injury. Hold it 30 seconds to a minute each time.

I use the ball, it's just not the deep stretch that I need. I'm starting to realize that I am not going to get that until my precautions are lifted.
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    I don't seem to get child's pose. I can't get my duff on my heels and lay my forehead on the floor. It seems impossible for me.

What kind of exercise are you doing? That might help people answer what kind of stretches you need.

I walk for two miles(just got it down in under 30) and then do about 30 minutes of strength training. And I go pretty hard core too, resting about 15 sec between sets.
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    i always strecth after my muscles are warmed up not before. Try a Fit Roller for stretching out your back, that are large hard foam tubes available at Target, they work great for stretching out your back and also for rolling out your legs.

I absolutely have to stretch before. Otherwise I'm too tight and it hurts when I walk.:grumble:
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    bump Still looking for answers on the stretching pre and post workout.
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi!

Yes, you should stretch before and after your workout.. Just, don't strech when you're cold... Try a little warm up first, like a 5 minute walk, then gently strech your muscles, till the point you feel it but it doesn't hurt. Also, don't bounce the stretch, just hold it for about 30 seconds each..
    Do the same thing after your workout..

Hope that helps :wink:
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    :wink:
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    Hi!

Yes, you should stretch before and after your workout.. Just, don't strech when you're cold... Try a little warm up first, like a 5 minute walk, then gently strech your muscles, till the point you feel it but it doesn't hurt. Also, don't bounce the stretch, just hold it for about 30 seconds each..
    Do the same thing after your workout..

Hope that helps :wink:

Are there different stretches for before your workout than after?
  • OLifter25
    Options
    First, Static stretching shuts off CNS (Central Nervous System), so always use Dynamic Stretching to loosen up and static stretching to cool down. ( http://books.google.com/books?id=oc8NnUB0KbIC&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=static+stretching+and+cns&source=bl&ots=7tvZDiQIsW&sig=e2WFb4eLOpUrMtUEql84k13ngZM&hl=en&ei=NGHySbSVKcGimQfpi42ZDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA93,M1 )

Second, DO NOT STRETCH your back. Especially, if you are planning to do some strength training. Having a tight supportive back is very important for keep the core tight during exercise. Remember the core isn't just our abs. Core starts at our hips, abs, lower back and finally upper back. If you want, you can use a foam roller or fit roller for myofascial release. I recommend doing this for calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, hips, lats and back.

Most stretches that people use for back require rotation of the spine. The spine is not made for rotation, flexion or hyperextension. If you are interested in your back health than avoid all rotational, flexion and hyperextension exercises and stretches that does not involve rotation from the hips and legs. Keep the spine in neutral posture at all times.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    First, Static stretching shuts off CNS (Central Nervous System), so always use Dynamic Stretching to loosen up and static stretching to cool down. ( http://books.google.com/books?id=oc8NnUB0KbIC&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=static+stretching+and+cns&source=bl&ots=7tvZDiQIsW&sig=e2WFb4eLOpUrMtUEql84k13ngZM&hl=en&ei=NGHySbSVKcGimQfpi42ZDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA93,M1 )

Second, DO NOT STRETCH your back. Especially, if you are planning to do some strength training. Having a tight supportive back is very important for keep the core tight during exercise. Remember the core isn't just our abs. Core starts at our hips, abs, lower back and finally upper back. If you want, you can use a foam roller or fit roller for myofascial release. I recommend doing this for calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, hips, lats and back.

Most stretches that people use for back require rotation of the spine. The spine is not made for rotation, flexion or hyperextension. If you are interested in your back health than avoid all rotational, flexion and hyperextension exercises and stretches that does not involve rotation from the hips and legs. Keep the spine in neutral posture at all times.

Actually the only part of the spine that isn't meant to rotate is the Lumbar portion of it. Most movements come from the thoracic and cervical portions. A HUGE part of our physical therapy program is having people do hyperextension and flexion stretches because most people spend too much time in the opposite positions throughout their day and need to combat that/reset their back.

It's impossible for you to tell what position her back is in through the internet so I wouldn't say to stay away from those exercises.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    This is actually what I researched for my culminating capstone experience. I studied the effect of static stretching (the type you hold) on muscular strength in the quadriceps. We found, with significance, that mean strength declined after the static stretch but not in the control leg. So dynamic stretching (stretching that includes controlled movement) before lifting, static stretching after lifting. In my protocol, participants held the stretch for 30 seconds and then one treatment group lifted after another 30 seconds and the second group lifted after 2 minutes, and we saw a reduction in both groups. I have seen studies that used a 5 minute protocol and saw no reduction in strength. In theory, since dynamic stretching utilizes movement, it would provide stretching to a lesser degree that wouldn't pull the contractile elements of the muscle apart as far as static stretching. But I'm not allowed to cut anything open to see whether that's happening, so it's pure theory. :laugh:

OLifter, what do you mean it shuts off the CNS? Are you referring to the muscle spindle function? It wouldn't stop CNS function entirely...that would kill you.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    This is actually what I researched for my culminating capstone experience. I studied the effect of static stretching (the type you hold) on muscular strength in the quadriceps. We found, with significance, that mean strength declined after the static stretch but not in the control leg. So dynamic stretching (stretching that includes controlled movement) before lifting, static stretching after lifting. In my protocol, participants held the stretch for 30 seconds and then one treatment group lifted after another 30 seconds and the second group lifted after 2 minutes, and we saw a reduction in both groups. I have seen studies that used a 5 minute protocol and saw no reduction in strength. In theory, since dynamic stretching utilizes movement, it would provide stretching to a lesser degree that wouldn't pull the contractile elements of the muscle apart as far as static stretching. But I'm not allowed to cut anything open to see whether that's happening, so it's pure theory. :laugh:

OLifter, what do you mean it shuts off the CNS? Are you referring to the muscle spindle function? It wouldn't stop CNS function entirely...that would kill you.

Golgi tendon??

Oh let's cut some people open to see!!! Any volunteers?????

SBS I swear, if I were on the other team I'd date you!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Golgi tendon??

LOL Oh no, if we cut people open that means MORE Institutional Review Board protocol BS, and I don't think I could handle that! :laugh:

Haha we'd make a for a pretty good looking couple! :smokin:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

Golgi tendon??

LOL Oh no, if we cut people open that means MORE Institutional Review Board protocol BS, and I don't think I could handle that! :laugh:

YES! SBS is my pseudo girlfriend! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Golgi tendon??

Woohoo! We can take turns buying the drinks. :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

Golgi tendon??

Woohoo! We can take turns buying the drinks. :drinker:

WHAAAT? No No No. We're two girls together......guys will be lining up to buy US drinks!!! We're not dropping a DIME! :laugh: