Decaf Tea and Coffee

Options
ackeebee
ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
Recently I have started buying decaf tea and coffee instead of the caffeinated version. Are they suppose to taste different as I haven't noticed any difference in the taste. Because of this, it makes me highly suspicious. Are they meant to be any better for you? Let me hear your thoughts

Replies

• premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf coffee, it's not meant to taste different, it's actually suppose to taste the same. I suppose they are better for you because they don't have the caffeine therefore you never crave the "caffeine hit"

For me it's still a treat, I have it maybe once a week, but I truly prefer other coffee alternatives like "ecco" and "caro" they are made from malt or barley and definitely taste different alot weaker than coffee

As to the dehydration of coffee......I have no idea if that's different.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I could never drink decaf!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    I could never drink decaf!

why?
  • kathy0317
    Options
    Decaf shouldn't taste different. However, there is a lot of controversy about the processes they use to decaffeinate coffee and tea that normally has caffeine in it..

There are teas out there that are naturally decaf: chamomille, rooibos, herbal infusions (things made with fruit, nuts, etc that don't have any real tea in them). Some of the blends they are coming up with are quite good.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am sevearly allergic to caffeine and have been on decaf for about 4 years now. They don't taste different and they are cirtainly no better for you, other than the fact that you might get some more sleep.

Unless you want to detox or have a genuine reason to not take in caffieine i would stick to the caffinated (far more fun and much less chance of falling asleep at work)
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have been on decaf for over 8 years. I find it tastes no different but I don't get the side effects from caffeine!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    thanks for your comments so far.

i switched to decaf because of insomnia and as per my doctor's recommendation, i should limit my caffeine intake. as i couldn't notice any difference in taste between the caffeinated and decaf tea and coffee i decided to cut out caffeinated all together but as i said earlier, because i expected some massive difference in the taste, i now have my suspicions. the sleep aspect hasn't really improved either but that might be down to other factors.

the only difference is the price lol....decaf is definitely costing me more.
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I drink both as well as decaf Coke and have been for 10 years now. I have a hiatus hernia and caffeine irritates this. If I serve it to friends they know no different. Healthwise, I thinks its the same as any food; everything in moderation!
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I had to switch to decaf when i was pregnant, never able to go back, gives me heart palpitations and jitters real bad.
    i have been buying fair trade decaf and decaf that is processed with water. I understand decaf can be bad due to chemicals used in the process.
    I bet if you research the decaf process or coffees done with water you might find a brand that you feel good about.
    Also, I was told by the owners of a shop I frequented that the darker the roast the less caffeine. I like a bold taste so I do a french roast decaf. Not sure where you live or what brands you can get.
    Hope that helps.
    (IMO) no reason to be suspicious, coffee doesn't get it's flavor from the caffeine but from the roasting of the bean, so that's why not the flavor change.
    I know it doesn't leech the calcium from your bones like caffeinated coffee does (another reason I switched) however it is still a diuretic, so I try to only have a few cups in the morning then switch to water.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch decaf with a 10 foot pole. Teas are good because of their antioxidants as well as coffee. I personally believe that decaffeinated coffee is overly processed. Anytime you go and mess with a food to remove something from it, involves some kind of chemical process. For example: bleaching bread and rice. Those certainly taste more bland.

A doctor told you to limit your caffeine? WHY??? Why would they do such a thing!? Did you tell him/her you have heart palpitations or something?
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Many diet plans call for caffeine-free or reduced caffeine drinks. The theory as I know it is that the caffeine can dehydrate you and although that sounds great, you really want the elimination of excess fluids to be brought on naturally. Also, caffeine can raise you heart rate and metabolism and actually make you more hungry.... I agree with other posters that limiting or eliminating caffeine after a certain time of day works well for me. I do not sleep as soundly if I have caffeine after say 3 or 4:00 PM. With the exception of some flavored coffees, I really cannot tell the difference between caffeinated or decaf beverages.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    A doctor told you to limit your caffeine? WHY??? Why would they do such a thing!? Did you tell him/her you have heart palpitations or something?

as already advised, he suggested me limiting the caffeine because i have insomnia and it might be a contributory factor
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Many diet plans call for caffeine-free or reduced caffeine drinks. The theory as I know it is that the caffeine can dehydrate you and although that sounds great, you really want the elimination of excess fluids to be brought on naturally. Also, caffeine can raise you heart rate and metabolism and actually make you more hungry.... I agree with other posters that limiting or eliminating caffeine after a certain time of day works well for me. I do not sleep as soundly if I have caffeine after say 3 or 4:00 PM. With the exception of some flavored coffees, I really cannot tell the difference between caffeinated or decaf beverages.

I have coffee as late as 8pm and will be passing out by 1am regardless :P (my usual bed time). I don't really notice any affects from caffeine except for the first 10 minutes after drinking it.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i drink decaf now; cut out caffeine a year ago. it should taste the same.
  • ackeebee
    Options

I have coffee as late as 8pm and will be passing out by 1am regardless :P (my usual bed time). I don't really notice any affects from caffeine except for the first 10 minutes after drinking it.

if i had coffee at 8pm i would be up all night lol. my other half on the other hand will come in at 2 or 3am and have a mug of coffee, go straight to be bed and be out like a light in 5 mins