Noob

Options
Hi all,

Found out last week I am type 2 diabetic, joined the gym, downloaded the app, and registered on here. Feeling positive about everything and looking to glean ideas and advice from others in a similar situation.

Replies

• ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    welcome!
  • stephlw
    stephlw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So proud of you for taking that first step to a healthy, long future with your kiddos!
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Welcome and good luck.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Hey dude, best of luck with your journey. The hardest part is always the start :smile:
  • nofatvw
    Options
    Welcome!
    I was told in January of '08 that my lifestyle was borderline in that direction. I was in terrible shape. Since then my lifestyle has changed significantly. I joined MFP recently to help me shed the final pounds. The support is fantastic.
    Good luck to you.
  • tdoerr2
    Options
    Welcome!! There is great support and motivation here!! Feel free to add me as a friend, if you wish!!! I have been Type II for about 15 years now and on insulin for 12 yrs.

Tina
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Welcome - you are on a winner here
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hubby is a diabetic, he recently had a scare and is serious about controlling it. Logging his food has helped a bunch, he's lost 8 lbs in 7 weeks but his food choices mean he has already been able to cut his meds in half. So it can be done.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Many times losing weight can reverse it. Also exercise helps a great deal. My first husband found out he had diabetes and they gave him a pill for it and sent him to classes to understand more about it. While there they took their sugar levels and his was over 900 ................ they sent him to icu right then. He got put on 2 shots a day. Then he joined the gym and started lifting weights and losing weight, and his blood sugar levels got under control and he was able to cut it back to once a day, and then a smaller dose once a day. There is alot of control people have, if they learn and are able to exercise and eat right. I have it also now, mine is controled by a pill, and I need to take my own advise and lose weight and try to get moving. Good luck, this is a great place to help you. Lot of great people and tools to help.
  • mswest1102
    Options
    Good deal! Positive attitude is so helpful. I fell way off the wagon yesterday, but you just get right back on. I am hungry now, as I skipped breakfast--a big mistake for anyone, but especially diabetics. My sister also has Type 2 diabetes. Originally, she said she was eating right, but I think she was in denial. (It is OK to be angry or sad about diabetes, if you feel that way. The point is you still need to do what your doctor tells you). But she ate so poorly that her doctor saw her weight and blood sugar going too high. She told my sister if she didn't get those down, she would have to increase her insulin. I really wish you good luck. I am doing this (MFP) mainly for health reasons, too. Sure, I'd love to look gorgeous at 51, but I want to be alive and healthy more than anything.
  • 1972richard
    Options
    Hi and welcome, if I can help I will. :o)