Do any of you self sabotage?

Options
I've lost 50 ilbs in 4months and I am proud of my accomplishment. I problem is that I have reached the lowest wieght I've been in over 15 years. I would like to lose about 20 more ilbs, but I seem to be binging. I don't know where my commitment has gone. How do I get it back?

I am wondering if anyone else has had any issue with approaching their goal and than falling back to their bad habits.

I am wondering if my problem has something to do with the fact that this is the lowest weight I've been in so long and I don't know if I can get any lower.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I did it for a long time, oh look I'm down 5 lbs lets have that chocolate bar, bag of chips, jug of chocolate milk etc. Once I got away from the food as reward for seeing scale progress I did better. I buy a small container of chocolate milk occasionally as if I have a larger one around I am still at risk of drinking it all.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've done that! With me it's some sort of fear. I'm afraid it will change me or maybe how people veiw me. It's fear of the unknown/ unfamiliar. This last time though, I have gotten 1/2 way and I'm just fluctuating around that mark. Hopefully soon I can muster up the courage to really do it!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I do this every time I hit a goal. It's just gotten to the point that I put myself on maintenance and ride it out.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    Yes, I think we lose a lot of weight and you think, "well, I've done so well I can have a bowl of icecream" and it just goes from there. I'll start over tomorrow, then the next day. It is a very hard thing to learn to control. I agree, you need to find a way to reward yourself that does not involve food. That sounds easier than it is.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I got to a point like that a few weeks ago. I didn't go too overboard, but I was just a little too lenient with myself. I didn't gain any, but I didn't lose either. I got myself back in order for the last two weeks...I am a little concerned about the next few days though. I didn't go over by a whole lot yesterday, but I "saved" most of my calories for my late afternoon Thanksgiving meal and now I have woken up insanely hungry. I ate an egg sandwich with 2 sausage links and I still feel hungry! I think if I can get through today without trying to fill up on a big meal like yesterday I can stay on track! eek!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I have a serious problem with this. The last time I tried to lose weight I went from 247 down to 192 then had a freak out and gained every bit of it back + 10 pounds. I'm not sure what my problem is.. all of that hard work just thrown right out the window. That's happened to me twice.
  • cochilles
    Options
    Just think to yourself. Do you want to go back to the size you were? If you can answer no. Then thats your motivation.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    oh yes. I think there is some twisted rationale going on in my head like: "awesome! I just lost weight and I'm on the way to being skinny. I'm going to eat like my skinny friends do! [and then I devour a box of cereal, a pint of icecream, a bag of cheese curls...]
  • going2befit
    Options
    I had this problem as well. I did almost perfectly for 6 months and lost 40 lbs and was only 8 lbs from goal, then started having binge days like once a week. Then that one turned into two, then 3, then 4 binge days, then like most of my week. It was terrible. I really think my problem was self sabotage as well. I knew I wasn't too thin or anything but I started to get to a low weight I've never been before and I think the change was just too much for me and uncomfortable at that time. But after gaining 10 lbs back I realize that being bigger is a LOT more uncomfortable than being at that lower weight I've never been before. That is what has changed my mindset again and helped me to cut back on the binging again (it's now 1-2 times a week.. still working on stopping altogether and this site has really helped). I would say if you're just starting to binge again to try to snap out of it while it's still only a few days a week, because it really is hell to get out of when there are 5 or more like mine increased to. Good luck.
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I got a litle drunk on my success about a month ago and unfortunately it coincided with mini-chocolate bar week - better known as Halloween.
    I have managed to pull myself out of it though and am back on track and more motivated that ever. It isn't always easy to figure out what made the difference for me. But I think what helped is that I am part of a family weight loss competition (and a smaller one at work) and I want to win. In other words, I still have a goal that I am motivated to meet. I think it is about figuring out how much you want something. Maybe your body wants some time to just enjoy being its lightest in a really long time. Would it be so bad if you stayed at that weight for a month, two months, six months? Probably not. However, If you violently reject that notion, then there is still something inside of you that is motivated. Try to work with that emotion.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I sabotage other people, I am less likely to sabotage myself.

Have a cookie....
    F51A6999-orig.jpg
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My one and only pathetic little blog is on this very subject.

For me, its the fear... what will I blame my problems and unhappiness on if its not my fat? What will consume my brain if it's no longer consumed with losing said fat?

I've been this way for so long, I don't know who I am if I'm not fat...
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can relate to that. I threw my scale away about 3 weeks or so ago. I was really becoming a slave to that scale. At the time I threw it out I was about 5-10 pounds away from my goal weight. Those thoughts would float around in my head all the time: can I really lose it? I've never been that small. What if I gain it all back? Now I am just focusing on maintaining my active lifestyle and doing the things I did to lose the weight in the first place (which is why I did not crash diet or do any crazy pills that I knew I would not commit to for a lifetime). This morning (the day after Thanksgiving at that) a co-worker told me it looks like I lost more weight! Honestly, I don't know. If I did then great, if I didn't then fine. Either way- I am not gaining and I have a new body, mindset, and life. It took me close to 2 years to lose all of this weight. I am focusing on those accomplishments instead of a number on a scale; no way do I want to sabotage that anymore!
  • card603
    Options
    So have you been able to get back on board. I 've been off track for about a month and a half. I haven't regained, but I really want to still lose. I guess that part of my problem is I've evened out on weight loss and that is hard.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    two things are working for me:

food NOT EQUAL reward
    indulging every now and then in a controlled portion of something I like.

I.E. I used to have a muffin every morning, now once in a while (roughly once a month) I get half one with my wife/ a colleague/my kids

I took on cooking to get away from processed junk and enjoy more and more the taste of good food. not always low calories but always 100% better than processed.
    Learning to cook better with my kids and foods I used not to like. Right now we are following a lot of jamie oliver's recipes for fish and veggies. cutting a lot on the olive oil he's using but still making awesome good meals in controlled portion and reduced crap!

Exercising every day, it took six months if not more to get there, but I can honestly say that most of the time I do love exercising now.

Basically, I got away of the cut cut cut mentallity that cannot stand the test of time, you have to change and to enjoy the change else it wont work.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too. I found that fear it a big part of self sabotage. You may need to have a real talk with yourself and figure our what makes you scared about acheive your full weightloss goal. Sometime weight is a shield from other hurts and trama. Do some soul searching and you will figure out where this is coming from.
  • going2befit
    Options
    I have found that if I sabotage other people, I am less likely to sabotage myself.

Have a cookie....
    F51A6999-orig.jpg

I can't help it, I lol'd hard. so evil!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The challenge now is maintenance, unless you do want to go lower. To make more changes you'll have to start challenging your body. Many people here do Jillian's 30 day shred. It's a great burn and challenge. Something new will pique your interest and motivate you again. Not currently doing that program, but I do have the video as a back up plan... I have tried it and do like the workouts.