Heart Rate Monitor Advice

Options
I am sure this subject has been posted, but here I go anyway. I would like to ask for a HRM for Christmas, but also don't want to break the bank. I don't need a fancy model, I just want something that will give me an accurate calorie count. Costco online has a Garmin Forerunner 405 Sports Watch with the chest strap for $169.00. I have seen the Polar FT4 online elsewhere for somewhere between $50-$70. Please comment if you have any of these models, or have other suggestions. Like I said, I want one that gives me an accurate heart rate and calorie count when I am on the treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike or lifting weights, or even when I am coaching volleyball or basketball. THANK YOU beforehand for anyone who responds :) Your help is appreciated.

Replies

• Allyson1985
    Options
    I use the FT4 and love it. Best investment for this journey so far.
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also use the FT4, and it's well worth the money sine you always know how many calories an activity is really burning. highly recommended!
  • lsjett1
    Options
    I dont have one yet, but just ordered one online this morning. I ordered the Polar FT7. It looks very similar to the FT4. They are on sale right now, with free shipping at www.bodytronics.com. Good luck!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, Polar HRM are really good. I have a Timex and love it, it's as accurate as my BF's Polar but a lot of people say Timex aren't good. Never had a problem with mine tho.My Timex was a little over 200$. Not sure how much he paid for his Polar.

One thing I can say for sure is that the Polar's watch is more comfortable than my Timex (it bothers me when I do pushups and planks, while my BF's Polar doesn't bother me at all)

If you want an accurate reading, make sure you buy a good one! Going with Polar would be safe, as for Timex, I think it really depends on the model you get
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7. It is awesome!! It shows my average heart rate during my workout period, my highest heart rate, how many calorie I burned, how much time I was in a fat burning zone and how much time I was in a fitness zone. It comes with the chest strap.
    I love it!:smile:
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar f4. Only regret was not buying it sooner!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT7! :D
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I dont have one yet, but just ordered one online this morning. I ordered the Polar FT7. It looks very similar to the FT4. They are on sale right now, with free shipping at www.bodytronics.com. Good luck!

Thanks! I am going to check it out right now. From the sites I have scanned so far, the FT7 is cheaper than the FT4. I figured today would be a good day to check prices online.
    Edit: FT7 not cheaper, but 35% off. Think I may hint away now:) Yeah! So excited! Thanks to all who have posted your advice and experiences!