Ok So Now What?

Options
I used to weigh over 175lbs and now after about 7 months I'm down to 160lbs..
I'm 18, and 6ft tall. But I still have some "skinny fat." My daily calorie intake was at about 1800 calories per day. What should I do now in order to build muscle and get rid of the "skinny fat?" appreciate all the help! Thanks MFP for being such an awesome community to be apart of!

Replies

• BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Get on a good weight lifting plan and eat lots of protien
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    definitely bump up your calories (including tons of PROTEIN, unsaturated fats, & complex carbs)
    and WEIGHT TRAIN ...
  • slayerdan
    Options
    lose 10 more pounds, then bulk up w a higher protein diet and weight program. be patient and give yourself 12 weeks, altho prolly wont take near that long to start seeing results.
  • Bomber989
    Options
    If access to a gym for weight training does not work well, try a program like P90x. Great work out and only requires a few items so you can do this at home. Just a thought.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh over 175lbs and now after about 7 months I'm down to 160lbs..
    I'm 18, and 6ft tall. But I still have some "skinny fat." My daily calorie intake was at about 1800 calories per day. What should I do now in order to build muscle and get rid of the "skinny fat?" appreciate all the help! Thanks MFP for being such an awesome community to be apart of!

Get out of a calorie deficit immediately. At 6' you probably don't want to push any lower in bodyweight.

The first thing you need to do is get on a heavy lifting program. The first reply you got in this thread links you to Starting Strength, it's a great program. Mark Rippetoe is the author and he has a lot of information on the web (google him) and he also has some great training videos on Youtube.

You'll have to decide what you want to do as far as calorie intake but given your stats it's very likely that you should be in a slight surplus.

Shoot for about 20% above maintenance intake (You'll have to figure this out, try googling Katsch-McArdle -- you will likely end up in the neighborhood of 2300-2400 maintenance but I'm guessing).

I would recommend approximate intakes of:

140g PRO minimum
    60g FAT minimum
    remainder in carbs, although the aboves are min values that you can exceed, which would reduce CHO.

Good luck!