Hi. I need support!!!

Options
My name is Vicki and, although I have been using this website on my mobile app, this is the first time I went online to post. I have been up and down with my weight for about 5 years, now about 55 pounds less than I was 5 years ago but certainly have a long way to go. I am so addicted to food and when emotions are out of whack, I find it very hard to control eating. I am on The Perfect 10 Diet, which I highly recommend, as it is medically very healthy and helps get the hormones in balance for optimal health and weight loss. My problem is I know WHAT to eat and WHEN to eat, but don't know how to control the emotional binges. It would be nice to talk to someone who has been in this same situation and get pointers on how to control those times. Thanks for the support.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi Vicki - I used to eat emotionally a lot. When I was really stressed and overindulged in carbs and sugars my mood leveled out and I felt like I didn't really care too much about anything. My Dr. diagnosed me with insulin resistance and put me on Metformin to help control my sugar levels. Since then, when I have eaten for stress reasons, I do not get the same effect from the sugars due to the meds. My point is that a good physical might really help you with this part of your life, rather than blaming yourself for it.

Congrats on keeping that much weight off for so long!
  • fullpotential
    Options
    That's a tall order. I have spent years trying to separate food from emotions. I'm 43 and have been an emotional eater since I was...7? It's doable, I'm much better than I was even 5 years ago. OA is good, they follow a 12 step program that I found useful. What wasn't useful was the fairly rigid expectations of my fellow members. I still haven't found many truly recovered members.

The things is, food can be very useful as a numbing agent, which is why so many struggle with addictive eating patterns.

I suggest figuring out your triggers - hungry, angry lonely, tired. Don't let yourself get too deep into any one of them. And, be patient and loving with yourself. We're in this for the long haul - right?

Find some substitutes to express your emotions. I use music. And, just recently, exercise. I have found, much to my own amazement, that if I work out regularly it does positively impact my mood. I can go into a workout completely grumpy and lost and come out feeling much more stable and sure of myself. Find a workout partner to help keep you accountable.

Good luck!
  • tinasantucci
    Options
    This was so good to read. I am having the same problem. I know what to eat...and when to eat it but I simply cant control my night time binges.....my daytime binges. I've never been this bad.....I'm not diabetic but I have a definite aversion once I have eaten something.............until the guilt of what I did comes over me. :o(
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did have a physical from the doctor and overall my cholesterol is just below the borderline (could be better but not over), my sugar is fine, my thyroid is not good but I have been on medication for about 10 years for that, and I am going to the gym every day and on the elliptical for 30 min to 1 hour about 6 days a week. When I watch the emotional overeating can lose about 1 to 2 pounds a week. The problem is I will do fine for 3 or 4 days then something happens to upset me emotionally and I undo all the work. I have a son recovering from brain cancer, 2 kids who were kidnapped by their father that I have not seen since 2006, and trying to hold it all together so its really hard when I get emotionally in a bad place. Faith and prayer and the love of a wonderful man who married me with all this baggage 3 years ago are my only things helping me. But it would be wonderful to have the support of those who truly understand. Thanks for your responses.
  • Angie53704
    Options
    Many women struggle with emotional eating...as do I when I am stressed. One thing that helps me, which also helps with any food cravings I have, is to chew gum. Extra gum has many flavors. I recently tried their apple pie dessert flavor, and it really does taste like apple pie! And the flavor lasts.
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world!!!! I am a food addict with unbelievable nighttime cravings....Yo-yo'd my adult life away to the point of causing damage to my health....

On 3/22/11 I tried one more program...What the heck....One of the guest speakers said, 'come back 6 times before you say it isn't for you'....I was hooked after the 4th week. The program is Overeaters Anonymous, OA....I am a compulsive overeater, a FOOD ADDICT.

My sponsor has been working with me diligently to seek answers...I actually stayed focused yesterday and ate my planned meal.

Testing my cravings:::: I needed to see what, when, and how I am being triggered....For me, night time is my worse time and I have built in to my meal plan 2 oz. protein, i.e. MEAT, basically. When it happens I consume my 2 oz...and VOILA it is gone and I stay within program.

ADDICTION, whether it is alcohol, narcotics, gambling or food is forever....But the good news is that it can be controlled...It's called ABSTINENCE....

Hope this helps...
    ODAT
    Muriel
  • okcmomto3
    okcmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    HI, I also eat when stressed which is alot. I just started really trying to lose weight again. I am sorry about your kids. All of them that is scary. I pray you see your kids again and your son recovers with no problems. I clicked to add you as a friend. Let me know if you need to talk.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hi, so sorry to hear about your children, can't really give you any good eating advice but sending good wishes and hugs from one mum to another xxxxxx
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are definiately not alone with the emotional eating and binging etc..It can be very difficult to manage, but not impossible.. Try to keep either gum, or some healthy snacks near you, like in your car, by your bed etc.. so that way when you hit that emotion you have something good to eat... You can add me as a friend if you would like the additional support.. Wish you the best of luck!
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You sure have a lot going on. I am so sorry about your kids. The fact t hat you are taking care of yourself at all is so impressive to me. It does sounds as your kids need you to be as healthy and strong as you can be. Emotional eating is so difficult. I am just learning to eat only when i am hungry and its a whole new world for me. I just really wanted to offer you lots of hugs. I cant imagine.
  • JacquiLouSadj
    Options
    Were here for you. add me up Arwen2027
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I agree that food is an addiction that is so terrible to combat! But recently I found out that I am allergic to corn. By removing corn from my diet, not easy it's in everything. My cravings are gone, my moods do not swing the way they used to. It has been amazing. Although you have been to the doc. you may ask to go to be tested for food allergies. It really messes with your body chemistry. I find the way I react to things happening in my life have changed so much. I feel that, for me, when something would happen, my perception and reaction to what was happening was askew. I have a ill husband and it's hard to be a caregiver.You give so much of your energy to help someone that is ill you don't worry about yourself. But you should....... You are under so much pressure with everything else going on it won't be easy to lose weight. But, if you would like support in your weight endeavor friend me, I am on here everyday. It can't hurt to get tested for food allergies. It really means cooking for yourself so you know exactly what you are eating, but it's so worth it!!!! Take care!
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am totally blown away and so grateful for all your responses. I didn't imagine anyone would respond. And thanks for the suggestions. I think for me, the biggest trigger is the alone time. Maybe because that's the time when you think you feel least embarrassed to eat what you know you shouldn't. If I am at work, or I am busy with my kids, or my husband is around, I can control everything I do and what I am eating. But if I am completely alone, thats when I start "grazing." And after eating something I shouldn't, I feel guilty, think OMG I blew it again and eat more, which triggers more guilt. I did call Overeaters Anonymous at one point but their meetings are too far away from my house and with my working schedule and kids, isn't possible for me to attend. So this is why I thought maybe I would try this, talking to people who go through this sort of thing and get some support. I am sure I am not alone on this. I am sure that many women, especially those who have taken on more than they ever imagined they would have to, are in this same situation. I think the more out of control you feel your life is, the more you feel that eating is the one thing you can control. Only we control it a detrimental way that doesn't help us. I am exercising now which I absolutely love/hate depending on my mood but something inside drives me to do it. And the encouragement of my husband and kids keep me from falling off the wagon completely when I feel like I failed again. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and hope we can continue supporting each other. Thanks again.