OK....Really New to RUNNING.....Question???????

Options
I am very new to running. :) I have started running on my treadmill.

I can only run for about 2 minute spurts, but I hope to build that up. But I have a question for all the runners out their. Or just anyone who knows the answer. :)

After running for a minute, I get major sharp pains on my sides. I didn't work out too soon after eating or anything like that. And I am also hydrating. Not sure what this could be. I'm pretty sure I have heard of this and that it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Why does this happen and what causes it? What can I do about it?

Thanks everyone!!! :D

Replies

• Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    depending on how major and sharp the pain is, I'm tempted just to think it might be a stitch. The best way to combat those is through controlling your breathing and heart rate.

Does it happen only when you are tired or out of breath?
    Does it happen on both sides equally?
    How long does it take to go away?
    Does it happen if you keep the speed down and go slower for your minute?

I used to get stitches when I ran and they drove me nuts. All I could do was hold my side and go down to a walk and try and massage myself over the hip.

Someone told me to focus on breathing out, not breathing in (that happens automatically), and to control my breathing by breathing out every second time my left foot hit the ground.

No more stitches. period.

I asked him about it later, he said it was due to the weight and position of the internal organs, but I think it just has more to do with keeping my breathing in check which also keeps my heart rate in check.

Doesn't matter how far I run now, no stitches. I still focus on breathing out every second (or third, depends on my leg speed) left, and I use that to keep myself centered.

Give it a shot.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's called side stitches. Happens to a lot of people, actually. I'm not sure what causes it, but it's usually nothing to be concerned about.
  • owiviaaah
    Options
    breathe in through your nose out through your mouth make sure your stance is right. start off slow like jog for as long as you can without hurting yourself and gradually increase your pace. or you could do intervals. run for a few minutes, then walk, then run. and increase your time running as you progress, that is a good way to keep your heart rate up and burn a lot of calories.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the issue is, but it seems like a bunch of people have responded with what seems to be good answers. With that being said I like to chew gum when I run, cause it keeps my mouth from getting dry and it helps me regulate my breathing. At least I think it helps regulate my breathing.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Slow down and breathe.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in learning to run, look into the C25K running program. It's great!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Used to happen to me everytime I walk, run or swim till I learned to breath. In and out good solid breaths. Sometimes I feel myself holding my breath and that seems to trigger it, so I try to stay conscience about my breathing!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's about the breathing! Side stitches happen to the best of us. Try practicing "belly breathing"--when you breathe in, breathe into your stomach, pushing your belly out, and when you exhale, let it fall naturally. Eventually this becomes second nature, and it's how you ought to breathe regularly when you're not thinking about it.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. :)

Does it happen only when you are tired or out of breath? Yes, for the most part. I am definitely panting by this point. I do try and pay attention to my breathing but I wouldn't say I know for sure I am doing it right.
    The pain is bad enough that I have go back to walking fast.

Does it happen on both sides equally? Yes. It is sometimes just the one side.

How long does it take to go away? It goes away in a couple of minutes when I go back to walking.

Does it happen if you keep the speed down and go slower for your minute? I didn't really try this. But I am not going that fast. My treadmill says 5.0 for the speed. LOL Not sure if that means miles or kilometers.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I like that idea. :) Thanks.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Treadmills usually report in miles.

Good luck with things!

S
  • fininski
    Options
    When you say you're doing it in spurts, it sounds like you're getting a stitch because you're going too fast too quickly...
    Build it up slowly and it should be ok :)