Realistic?

Options
Realistic to want to go from 26% BF to 12% BF?
That would put me at 126lbs.
Feedback please friends?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Over what time frame and are you going to be lifting weights?

Also, are you male or female?
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Female.
    12 weeks is my goal.

I hadn't been planning on it.
    Due to the fact that I am a NOOB and have no idea where to start.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    It is nowhere near realistic in that time frame and for a female. (It's not even realistic for a male)

12% is very lean for a female.

I am not trying to discourage you by any means.

EDIT: I am in the neighborhood of 12% in my photo as a reference.
  • lexximan
    Options
    Okay, So now that leads me to think that I calculated my BF incorrectly AND what it really means.

I calculated it to 12% by my goal weight.

But I could technically be at my goal weight and still have far more than 12 % BF correct?

It all just depends on how lean I want to be.

Sorry like I said I am SOO unaware of most things fitness and such.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

But I could technically be at my goal weight and still have far more than 12 % BF correct?

Absolutely. Bodyweight does not dictate bodyfat% and vise-versa. As you lose weight, unless you are doing it with a great degree of nutritional accuracy and with a solid weightlifting program, you're going to lose lean mass (non-fat weight including muscle). EDIT: In fact, even if you are flawless you could STILL lose lean mass.

In your calculations, it's possible (likely) that you assumed the weight you would lose would be all fat. This is not the case.

Furthermore, if you don't engage in weight training and you don't consume adequate protein, this loss of lean mass will increase.

The end result being, you weigh less but might not look as good as you anticipated when you started.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you try to lose that much weight (and that quickly) without weight lifting you will most likely lose a lot of muscle which means, yes, you'll hit your goal weight but still have a higher body fat percentage. The best way to maintain muscle while losing weight is to lift weights, eat a lot of protien and lose weight slowly by having a moderate calorie deficit.
  • Janiece65
    Janiece65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, women really shouldn't be less than 20% from a maintenance perspective. As a reference, figure competitors will end up at about 12% on the day of their competition and body builders will have less, but they certainly don't maintain at that level in the off season.

Unfortunately, "standard" BMI and BF calculators are notoriously inaccurate because it's tough to manage your specific body type in a standardized algorithm. I would suggest starting to lose weight (if you need to), and lifting with a "building lean muscle" goal and see how it goes. You may find that when your body looks the way you wish, you won't care about BF percentage.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is nowhere near realistic in that time frame and for a female. (It's not even realistic for a male)

12% is very lean for a female.

I am not trying to discourage you by any means.

EDIT: I am in the neighborhood of 12% in my photo as a reference.

Took the words out of my mouth. 12% is amenorrhea territory and generally attained by female bodybuilders - I don't think even fitness contestants get that low (although I could be wrong). __okay I stand corrected by the above poster...
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread. Both of these women are a size 2, body fat percentage is obviously a lot different. The body on the left might be the result if you lose weight quickly and w/o strength training....
    size2.jpg
  • lexximan
    Options

In your calculations, it's possible (likely) that you assumed the weight you would lose would be all fat. This is not the case.

You are 100% correct about that! I am super oblivious. Thanks for teaching me! See! The only stupid question is one not asked. =]
  • Rae6503
    Options
    As a general rule, women really shouldn't be less than 20% from a maintenance perspective. As a reference, figure competitors will end up at about 12% on the day of their competition and body builders will have less, but they certainly don't maintain at that level in the off season.

I'd think 16-18% would be okay...
  • Sidesteal
    Options

You are 100% correct about that! I am super oblivious. Thanks for teaching me! See! The only stupid question is one not asked. =]

Your best bet would be to take Rachel's advice. Eat at a slight deficit, get adequate protein and don't cut your calories too low, and most importantly, get on a weightlifting program, and I don't mean the pink ones, I mean heavy lifting.

Do this and get rest and repeat, and a few months from now you will enjoy what you see in the mirror more than you do today.'

Beyond that, don't complicate things. That's my opinion anyways.
  • lexximan
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread. Both of these women are a size 2, body fat percentage is obviously a lot different. The body on the left might be the result if you lose weight quickly and w/o strength training....
    size2.jpg

Thanks! I have always been a visual learner =]

Pertaining to this post as well...

I had planned on getting down to my semi-goal weight [130] and then get toned and working more on my muscles.

Is this a good idea or would you[or anyone else] suggest doing it all at once?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I had planned on getting down to my semi-goal weight [130] and then get toned and working more on my muscles.

Absolutely start lifting now. Do not try and lose weight first and then lift, you're just going to lose more muscle mass this way and it's counterproductive.
  • lexximan
    Options

Absolutely start lifting now. Do not try and lose weight first and then lift, you're just going to lose more muscle mass this way and it's counterproductive.

Very true. I will just have to get a personal trainer to learn all the work outs I need to do.

Omgsh Sidesteal & Rachel you guys are awesome for helping me out =]]
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I will just have to get a personal trainer to learn all the work outs I need to do.

Great plan. Having someone teach you the proper techniques first is very smart. Starting Strength is a good program, and I've heard good things about New Rules of Weightlifting for Women... I think Rachel does that program? I bet she could give you some info on it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience I'd say if you're strict with exercise and nutrition, maybe you can drop 2-3% in that time frame. I could be wrong, but as my saying goes, "dropping body fat% is a MOFO!" And I lift weights, do cardio, AND monitor my macros right now.

Try calipers and do the averages of the back arm skinfold, the belly skinfold and the inner thigh skinfold. There's one called Digital Warrior Caliper and it makes the whole thing easy to do. Numbers that pop up the most are the ones you should use.

I tell my man I want to be 12% and he doesn't like that idea. He says I'll be more than lean enough at 18%. I'll take it as far as I can, but for now, realistic for myself is 19%.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My honest thoughts and opinions is shoot for the size/weight and adjust the diet to low fat. I haven't seen or heard about too many fat measuring tricks and tools that I'd honestly think could be realistic readings. Aside from the water test I think its unrealistic to go by a scale that measures it or even those caliper things.

Just build muscle and eat low fat I would think is enough to get you at your ideal fat % eventually.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My honest thoughts and opinions is shoot for the size/weight and adjust the diet to low fat. I haven't seen or heard about too many fat measuring tricks and tools that I'd honestly think could be realistic readings. Aside from the water test I think its unrealistic to go by a scale that measures it or even those caliper things.

Just build muscle and eat low fat I would think is enough to get you at your ideal fat % eventually.

Calipers are next best to a water/tub scale (whatever they're called). Calipers are pretty accurate when properly used. If you don't want to use it yourself or doubt your readings ask a trainer to do it.
  • FSHARDY
    Options
    There are many apps on the iPhone & Andriod for figuring out your %. To find my % I measure my neck and waist (at the belly button) I weighed in at 187lbs & 24% body fat. Thru proper diet & excercise I've lost about 8lbs & reduced my % to 19% within a few months. My goal is to weigh 175lbs and maintain between 16-18% body fat. Remember muscles add weight so the more you bulk up the heavier you'll be. Eat 3-5 small meals a day plus a minimum of 1 hour excercise daily.