Gaming as exercise...

Options
So I see a lot of Wii Fit posts and the like. But I was wondering if anyone else was into Dance Dance Revolution, In The Groove, Rock Band, or Guitar Hero, since those all have exercise potential as well. In fact, I burned about 600 calories playing drums for an hour on Rock Band 2. I drum on expert, though, so I'm moving a lot and working up a sweat. And DDR is awesome for cardio, since once you get pretty decent at it, it's almost like doing sprints in place. I've burned THOUSANDS of calories playing that!

Replies

• gamerboi82
    Options
    So I see a lot of Wii Fit posts and the like. But I was wondering if anyone else was into Dance Dance Revolution, In The Groove, Rock Band, or Guitar Hero, since those all have exercise potential as well. In fact, I burned about 600 calories playing drums for an hour on Rock Band 2. I drum on expert, though, so I'm moving a lot and working up a sweat. And DDR is awesome for cardio, since once you get pretty decent at it, it's almost like doing sprints in place. I've burned THOUSANDS of calories playing that!
  • princessvessna
    Options
    I love DDR. I need to get back into doing that for exercise - I used to do it for 2+ hours at a time. My favorite is Extreme 2. Im pretty decent too, so it is SO good for cardio.

It also works because I get into gamer mode - I HAVE to pass the song, or whatever part I am trying to do, so I keep going.
  • gamerboi82
    Options
    Extreme 2 is pretty good. But In The Groove is the best dancing game, IMO. The songs are consistently longer, usually 2-3 minutes as opposed to DDR's 1.5 minute songs. It's also got hands (where you have to hold 2 arrows with your feet and hit a 3rd or 4th with your hands) and mines (bombs instead of arrows, which you have to avoid hitting) to spice things up. And the available mods are really good as well. The workout mode on it is also pretty solid, as well as the track list. It's only for ps2 though, so that's kind of a downer if you don't have one.
  • princessvessna
    Options
    Fun! I have a PS2, but no extra money for In the Groove right now :) I've only done DDR in an arcade once - it was weird. I buy the nice thicker foam pads on eBay so it's a little less stress on your joints. They usually last longer and work better anyways.
    I like the idea of Supernova, but not enough 80s music and I forget what other features I didn't like - not being able to choose my own avatar to dance?

I think that will be my goal starting Monday (since Im going out of town this weekend) to start doing a lil DDR daily.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I wore my heart rate monitor for kicks when doing Wii boxing once, I had to see what the calories burned were when I could feel my heart rate going up. It actually does burn a good chunk of calories, and I don't think you could rely on just gaming for your fitness routine, but hey, if it burns those calories - why not! I do have to say though, I work out 6-7 days a week, step class, pilates, hiking, weight training...I hurt myself Wii bowling, pulled something in my hip and was sore for 3 days....seriously, what is wrong with me...
  • gamerboi82
    Options
    OMG, I remember the first time I did Wii Boxing... I woke up the next morning and couldn't move! My back hurt soooo bad... So yeah, I feel you on the Wii-related injuries. I actually got rid of my Wii a while ago. I'm kind of a serious gamer, and the Wii is a casual gaming system so I got bored with it.

As for relying solely on video games for workouts, I agree with you. I walk, lift weights, and rollerblade on top of gaming. But if you're not feeling up for a workout, it's a good way to motivate yourself, since you don't really feel like it's a workout when you're having so much fun.

princessvessna - I just got another ps2, since I'd sold mine a while ago. I kept my pad though, it's really good. RedOctane Ignition 3.0, with the 1" foam core insert and raised arrows. I need to get DDR or ITG, but hows about we start a little dancing game group or something?