Breathing & running

Options
I know it's a good idea! But do you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth?
I have tried this, but my lungs don't seem to get enough oxygen this way.

What is the correct way of breathing when running?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

:ohwell:

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Get as much air inside you as you can/need. Breathe through both your nose and your mouth and don't mind what you look like while doing it! Eventually as you get fitter, it becomes easier and something you don't even think about.
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    agree with crux, breathe as much as needed. Trust me it gets easier.
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I have to concentrate really hard to remember to breathe! I was hoping it will get better the more running I do and will become instinct rather than holding my breath!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Not certain about the right or wrong of it, but for any fighting sports (boxing, martial arts, etc.) we breath in with through nose and out through the mouth. I do not run much out side but for skipping and on the treadmill I find that this works best for me.
  • trailblazer888
    trailblazer888 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about four months now and it really does get so much easier. You don't even think about it after awhile.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to make sure you are breathing rhythmically than which hole the air is going through. :)
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I have to concentrate really hard to remember to breathe! I was hoping it will get better the more running I do and will become instinct rather than holding my breath!!

When I first started, it was REALLY REALLY hard for me to concentrate on my breathing.

I can tell you it DOES get easier and it DOES become second nature, especially during races. I'm so focused on everything else around me that the breathing just comes naturally.

Hang in there!

To the OP: I breathe through my mouth the whole time, even when it's cold, and especially when it's hot. I've been told as our bodies become more efficient as we run, we should get to the point where we don't need to breathe through our mouth.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way up to running, but when jogging my standard disclaimer to friends is "Don't worry if it sounds like I'm going to die."

I did notice during my last jog, after prepping by walking and running a mile before hand, that my lungs got a bit more used to the pressure and I wasn't breathing violently through the remaining 4 miles of the Turkey Trot I did.

Another question that people might be able to answer; does anyone else have a lot of mucus buildup after running for a while? Like coughing and it wont come up, sometimes hard to breathe mucus for hours after? It might not even be mucus, but it feels like that. I'm assuming the fix is to get used to it, but if there are any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been told as our bodies become more efficient as we run, we should get to the point where we don't need to breathe through our mouth.

This is true at low speeds once you are accustomed to running you could breathe in through your nose... Why would you want to?

Maybe I messed something and it does have a benefit, if anyone knows then I'm interested as to why...?

I'm typically more interested in my cadence and posture but I'm always willing to learn!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I never ever breathe in through my nose only when running. I tried before because I was told I should, and I end up drying out my nasal cavity or whatever everytime. It is quite painful and I have never heard of a good reason why I should breathe in through my nose only.

Here is an post from Runner's World on the same question
    "when you run, the proper way to breathe is to use both your mouth and your nose to breathe diaphramatically, which is to say that you draw your breath from your belly, not shallowly from your rib cage. When you breathe in, your abdomen and chest should expand as your lungs fill with air. It would be difficult to get enough oxygen by just breathing through your nose. "
    http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2008/07/when-im-running-my-nose-runs-and-i-end-up-breathing-through-my-mouth-any-suggestions.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In most cases, unless you have asthma or some other COPD, breathing difficulty in running of the type you describe is affected by two things:

1. The aerobic intensity of your running speed represents a high percentage of your maximum. In other words, your level of conditioning is insufficient to comfortably sustain that running speed. The solution is to slow down and/or go to a walk/jog program until your conditioning improves.

2. Tenseness in the upper body--beginners sometimes "brace" themselves against the initial effort and as a result do not breathe as deeply or as much as necessary. Rather than focusing solely"breathing techniques", it is better to focus on relaxing your form. More relaxed breathing will follow.

A number of physiological events occur when we increase our exercise intensity. When the need for oxygen increases, that need is met more by increased ventilation (i.e. moving ambient air in and out) than oxygen extraction. (The body doesn't pull more oxygen out of the inspired air, it increases the amount of inspired air available).

At low or moderate levels of exertion, it might be possible to achieve sufficient ventilation via nose breathing, but not at higher levels. At higher intensity levels, you need to get as much in as possible, by any means necessary. There are no style points.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Another question that people might be able to answer; does anyone else have a lot of mucus buildup after running for a while? Like coughing and it wont come up, sometimes hard to breathe mucus for hours after? It might not even be mucus, but it feels like that. I'm assuming the fix is to get used to it, but if there are any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.
    Could be exercise-induced asthma - that's what I have and it gives me symptoms similar to a chesty cough, difficulty catching my breath, some wheezing and a cough. Talk to your GP. An inhaler fixes mine straight away.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I like this - an MFP friend shared with me a few weeks ago - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    in over two steps out one. I breath in and out of my nose and mouth at the same time sorta lol
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I know it's a good idea! But do you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth?
    I have tried this, but my lungs don't seem to get enough oxygen this way.

What is the correct way of breathing when running?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

ohwell
    Breathe through your mouth. There's not a chance that you can provide your ventilate your body adequately by breathing through your nose.

That's just the start, though. Google "belly breathing" or "diaphragmatic breathing" (spelling?) for more info.
  • hellyarms
    Options
    I breathe with the candle blowing method whilst running, its the only thing that prevents me getting stitch on my runs. Breathe in as deep into your belly as you can and then blow it out through your mouth as if you were to blow out a big set of candles.

Works for me!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    2. Tenseness in the upper body--beginners sometimes "brace" themselves against the initial effort and as a result do not breathe as deeply or as much as necessary. Rather than focusing solely"breathing techniques", it is better to focus on relaxing your form. More relaxed breathing will follow.

***this is what I struggle with as a new runner. I try to shake my hands and arms once in a while to help me loosen up a little.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about four months now and it really does get so much easier. You don't even think about it after awhile.

Ditto.

When I first got back into running a little over a year ago running was at the fore front of my mind and it seemed like a hurdle to overcome. Eventually you stop thinking about it (your body can find a pace and regulate your breathing) and your running improves.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Could be exercise-induced asthma - that's what I have and it gives me symptoms similar to a chesty cough, difficulty catching my breath, some wheezing and a cough. Talk to your GP. An inhaler fixes mine straight away.

Thanks, I'll look in to it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find that counting my breaths helps - if I'm running steadily (ie not doing intervals or uphill) then I'll usually breath in for 2 strides and out for 3. I find that doing this helps me relax into the pace and it helps if I'm getting tired.
    I usually breath in and out through my mouth as I can't get in enough air breathing in through my nose.