Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I think I have shin splints :-(

Any advice or remedies on aiding the healing process? Or just on helping them feel less painful in general?

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    New shoes. :(:(:(

Sorry can't help with the actual pain! I once ran on old sneakers (that is what I get for trying to get into running without research, I guess) and had shin splits for 3 days. THREE DAYS.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Rest them, ice and, antiflammatory pain killers. Try to swim or do some low impact exercise. If there really painful you may want to go to the doctors for a sleep splint.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Rest..shoes..switch exercises to something with less impact for a while. You pushed yourself too hard if you have shin splints. Follow the 10% increase in distance per week rule.
  • unfortunately, my doctor had me ease up my exercise routine. it took me about 3 weeks to fully heal.
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Yes it is something that will need to run its course. I just kept mine elevated, stretch and took a few days off from working out. But here is something I found.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/home-remedies-for-shin-splints.htm

Hope this helps.
  • I have shin splints too and before and after exercise I use hot before and cold after. Depending on how bad they hurt I will alternate hot and cold.

Also I agree with low impact exercises. Don't do any jumping or running untill you figure out something that helps. Also, it does get better with time. Or least mine does lol.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Ive got them and they friggin hurt check out you tube for some good stretches :sad:
  • I figured it was my shoes causing them :/ They're a year old & I was hoping to get a new pair after the holidays, but I guess I'll have to go out this weekend and get a pair. Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    This is a really great thread on shin splints, you may want to check it out as well.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints
  • The best way to get rid of shin splints if finding what causes them. This is from an article that will help:

Shin splints can be caused by a number of factors which are mainly bio mechanical (abnormal movement patterns) and errors in training.
    Here's a list of the different causes and reasons for this condition, including some that probably never occurred to you:

Cause #1 - Inadequate footwear

Changing to new running or workout shoes or wear shoes that don't have enough support. This can happen because of wearing your shoes for too long and they wear out. The most recommended are ASICS Running Shoes

Solution: Changing to better running shoes with the right support or adding Shock absorbing insoles for your shoes.

Cause #2 - Increasing training too quickly

Instead of working up to a training level gradually.

Solution: Reduce your speed and distance when you run.

Cause #3 - Running on hard surfaces

Or changing surfaces from what you are used to. For example, from a trail to concrete.

Solution

Run or exercise only on soft surfaces, such as dirt or grass, and run on level ground avoiding hills.

Cause #4 - Weak Ankle

Decreased flexibility at the ankle joint, tight achilles tendon or weak ankle muscles.

Solution

: Daily stretches of your calf and front of leg. There is a video demonstration of an excellent exercise - Just below this.

Cause #5 - Overpronation of the feet

Pronation is the movement of the subtalar joint. Pronation occurs as the foot rolls inwards and the arch of the foot flattens. Over pronation can cause injury and pain in the foot and ankle. Look at your running shoes: If they are worn on the inside of the sole in particular, you could be suffering from overpronation.

Solution

Get a running shoe with extra medial support. It gives extra support for the load and prevents the foot from rolling or flattening. Also, you can get Orthotic Insoles

Cause #6 - Flat feet

Some people have flat arches in their feet, which can make the feet roll inward when running - possibly causing shin splints.

Solution

Again, running shoes with Extra medial support.

Cause #7 - Bone Trauma

Bone trauma to the lower leg can result in stress fractures. Constant pounding the leg bones may cause tiny cracks and fractures in the lower leg bones.

Solution

Rest is needed to repair these cracks. Without it, cracks grow to become fractures, causing a lot of pain and a long rehabilitation. You can also temporarily try running in the pool or swimming to keep being active and strengthening the ankle muscles - under reduced load and stress. But, without adequate recover, these cracks continue to grow and become a fracture. The result is acute pain and a long recovery.

Source: http://www.squidoo.com/shin-splints-treatment-for-athletes