"healthy" hot dog roast

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
We're having family over tonight for a roast. We were thinking of having hot dogs, chips, pop, s'mores, ??? What should I have to make this healthy for me? I don't want to spend a lot, and I want things that are going to be convienent (i.e. no extra cooking). However, I'm willing to buy a few things for myself. Do you think I should do turkey dogs or maybe just buy everyone kosher dogs? What about sides? Thanks!

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    We're having family over tonight for a roast. We were thinking of having hot dogs, chips, pop, s'mores, ??? What should I have to make this healthy for me? I don't want to spend a lot, and I want things that are going to be convienent (i.e. no extra cooking). However, I'm willing to buy a few things for myself. Do you think I should do turkey dogs or maybe just buy everyone kosher dogs? What about sides? Thanks!
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    it is getting to be the summer season and i think that we are all gonna be facing this question.

I would think turkey dogs would be better for you - skip the bun - use mustard.

as for sides - maybe one of those tomatoe salads with just some tomatoes, onions, cucumber and such with some fat free italian dressing?

i think there has got to be a healthy way to make cucumbers, onion and mayonaise - maybe use the light mayo or miracle whip? that needs to be refrigerated over night to get the best taste.

fresh corn on the cob?

maybe some grilled veggies - they make these baskets for the grill that you can put your veggies in and they won't fall thru.

as for dessert - i don't think there is a healthy way to make a smore - best to probably just steer clear.

maybe make a cheese cake - use a graham cracker crust - fat free cream cheese - cool whip free - one pkg jello any flavor (dry mix) - add all together and mix in bowl -- press into crust - refrigerate until ready to eat.

those are all my suggestions at the moment. hopefully we can come up with some really good tasty meals for summer!! you would think it would be easy - but sometimes it just isn't!!!

Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Just a veggie tray would be easy & easy to eat. Carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers, etc...Plus, you'll have that there to snack on so you won't get distracted by the chips & sweets.
  • djshade4
    djshade4 Posts: 24
    Options
    Fresh salsa and baked tortilla chips are my favorite!
    Nathan's Hot Dogs are "healthier"...if there is really such a thing. :laugh:

If you like cottage cheese, I make a Cottage Cheese Fluff for desserts...it's no S'more, but....

1 cup low fat - small curd cottage cheese
    1 box sugar free gelatin- any flavor
    1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
    1- 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
    1- 8oz Sugar Free Cool Whip
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
    Combine cottage cheese and gelatin. Stir in pineapple, mandarin oranges, (& pecans). Just before serving fold in Cool Whip.
    Serves 12
    1/2 cup has 88 calories
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if it were me I would have 1 hotdog (with bun - you know, you can get whole wheat hot dog buns!), a big leafy salad, and 1 smore. It's all about moderation. There's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself at a cookout.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    if it were me I would have 1 hotdog (with bun - you know, you can get whole wheat hot dog buns!), a big leafy salad, and 1 smore. It's all about moderation. There's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself at a cookout.

Second that!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen what goes in a hot dog?? It is absolutely disgusting. I haven't eaten them in years and neither will my kids after we saw a show about it.

If you want a good dish for you - veggie tray with hummus for a dip. Filling and delicious!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Agreed!! :drinker: