Need Help With Suggestions

Options
Hi Im new to this and I love the site and the phone app!

Some of my downfalls!

I have thyroid problems and really dont know to much about it but the fact that I have to take a pill everyday!
I know its hard to lose weight if you have this issue!

Also! :) I have an office job and all i do is sit on my BEHIND!

Give me some comments I love to read! =)

Replies

• scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd say just keep at it; works pretty much for everyone, young or old, very overweight or only a little to lose, healthy or not so - its a basic premise that keeping track of what we eat, monitoring that, exercising, and drinking enough water pay off in health and weight loss benefits in the long term.
  • alyssiawood
    alyssiawood Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I can't help with the thryoid problem cause I don't know anything about that. But I do know what you mean about having a sit down job not moving. So what I do is when I get caught up and have time I do jumping jacks. They really do help and it really works! After doing so many you will be tired lol. Also I will do push up against the wall or jump in place like if I had a jump rope. There's a few ideas :) Hope this helps!!
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    BE PROACTIVE: If you're taking meds for a condition, you need to be on top of your condition ---- RESEARCH to UNDERSTAND.

With internet access, there is absolutely no excuse to be clueless on any given subject.

Here's a starter: Google the following pharse: "remedies for thyroid problems"

Then scroll through your options -- there is a ton of information on the subject. Don't be in the dark about your health. Research.

Information is power!
  • Magzilla08
    Magzilla08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink like a gallon a day! And I have done some proior research and all it tells me is that Its very hard to lose weight, I have changed alot of my eating habits and still nothing. Thanks all!
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Hi! I have thyroid problems and it has been very slow for me to loss weight. I joined WW in March, but didn't start an exercise plan until the end of June. I'm now walking about 2 miles a day, 2.4 yesterday and today!! Wahoo!! Anyway, I've only lost 35 since March and really wish it was more. It does slow down how much you lose but it's been good for me to get healthy foods into my body. I'm off 1/2 of the blood pressure meds I was on, and 1/2 of the cholesterol meds. I'm seeing my doctor next week and asking him if I can drop the cholesterol meds altogether now because my last bloodwork showed that to be normal.

One thing I am going to do is to seek out an endocrinologist so I can learn more about hypothyroidism and maybe get those meds adjusted to help. One lady in my WW joined the same week as me and has lost 60 pounds. I need to talk to her also and see what suggestions she might have.

Exercise is important to help in getting the weight off. I do office work also but I make the time to walk, either in the neighborhood if it's nice out, or on my treadmill. You can find exercises that you can do and it's so cool to log that work into MFP and see how many calories you've burned. It's very encouraging and motivating.

And, lastly, join a challenge. There are two that I'm involved in. One is Peppermint Place in the groups section and the other is a Thanksgiving Day until New Year's challenge. I can get the link to that if you're interested. It's in the forums.

Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some encouragement along the journey.

Blessings,
    Bonnie :smile:
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Been on Synthroid for awhile now - My thyroid is basically non-functioning.

Take your meds and do research (take on empty stomach, can't eat for an hour after, some foods/juices aren't good when on the med)- get your bloodwork done to verify that you are on the correct dose. You should have a dose prescribed and a blood test to check your T3/T4 in 3 months, again in 6 month then every year after.

I have not had any trouble losing weight as soon as I got serious about eating right and working out.
  • Magzilla08
    Magzilla08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks you two that really helped! I feel so much better knowing that theres others with the same problem. I was diagnosed when i was around 13 and now im 22. I forget so much to take the pill but I started a new eating regime and workout plan and have been doing really good on taking my meds. Would it be better to take when I wake up or before I go to sleep?

BTW I have the worst doctor in the world! :/
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I take mine in the am (same time everyday even the weekends) when I make my coffee - I've found it easy to take the pill if the container is somewhere I see it all the time, I drink a full 8oz glass of water with it and don't eat for at least 2 hours. Like I said before you need to be careful with some foods, juices, OTC meds and herbal supplements. Get online and look up the med you are taking and they will give you some good info.

When was the last time you got bloodwork done - Have you been taking meds since age 13??
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    if you aren't comfortable with your doctor, definitely find a new one. this person is responsible for taking care of your body and should be someone you trust to help you maintain and even improve your health. I have a nurse practitioner for my primary care and she is awesome!! Just got diagnosed hypothyroid myself. she feels it's a postpartum issue and is watching my labwork to make sure its resolving. seems impossible to lose weight, but I have been. just very slowly. get a primary care provider you can talk to and trust. you owe it to your body! good luck!
  • runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Can you take a walk at lunch? I've been trying to introduce even small amounts of activity in my day to day.