Professional Trainers

Options
I am struggling to decide whether "Santa" will be buying me some time with a personal trainer and if so how to best utilize it. On the other hand, it is a lot of money at a time when money is tight.

I am a 58 year old, formerly obese, overweight woman, who has been slowly building healthy habits in multiple areas of my life. I have a sense that with some professional guidance I could more successfully and knowledgeably attain my fitness goals. Through exercise classes, conversations, reading advice trainers so graciously share in these forums, I think I can find someone who I can work with and can be helpful. But is it worth it, if I can only afford to use a trainer once a month?

I guess I'm not sure how to frame my questions, hopes and doubts, so any kernals of wisdom, particularly from trainers or people who have used trainers specifically just to be healthier physical people would be appreciated.

Replies

• 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. It is a lot of money to spend. For me, I've never really knew how to work out and was very intimidated going to the gym. I've been working out with a trainer since April 2011 twice a week. From my own experience, I'm glad I got a trainer. He has taught me a lot about my weaknesses and strengths. Now I don't feel like such a novice going into the gym. I'm still intimated by the weight equipment but I'm slowly finding comfort and now I want to do more weight lifting. As my trainer and countless others have advised me, exercise only makes up only 20% of your overall weight loss success. So if you want to see results, you need to eat better and follow any diet they might recommend. I was slow to listen to that part but now I completely understand what they mean by that. If you do get a trainer, ask lots of questions, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Hope all works out for you :wink:
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are virtual trainers on line if you would be comfortable doing something like that. I'm a certified personal trainer and I train clients "virtually" (emails, texts, and phone calls). I'm not advertising for myself at all, but it might be something worth looking into for you. You could google virtual trainers and I'm certain you could find someone that would be a good fit for you both financially and personality wise.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer since February, and i love it. There are a lot of places i'd trim my budget to avoid having to give up my sessions. For me, it's having someone to push me, and to be accountable to. If i had been working out on my own this entire time, i'd not be in the same place.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I ever did was hook up with my trainer - he challenges my boundaries - ensure I lift more than I ever think I am capable of lifting - and keep changing my programme in the gym so it never get stale.....

He checks on my form - and suggest little changes where needed....I also have issues with hypermobility, and if an exercise really hurts he will work with me on alternative methods to make make sure I don't hurt my body more than it needs to....

Every 6 weeks he comes up with a new programme that takes into account the progress I have made over the past 6 weeks....

Best money I am spending on my health and fitness for sure :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm going on my second personal trainer since January and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

He challenges me, answers all my questions and shows me new stuff to do. He also takes time to get to know me and learn my boundaries and how to push them. Recently he got me started on my gym's calorie counting/exercise system, and now all my strength workouts are planned for me. I don't need to guess, and they change themselves every time.. It's pretty nice!
  • Dave197lbs
    Options
    like anything, there are good bad and ugly...even with trainers. If you do decide to go with a trainer, dont be shy about asking for references from his or her clients. If they dont want to give references, there is a reason. Buy one session as a try out. before making a long committment. Its your health, money and time. You are the ultimate boss, Good luck.