Enjoying Exercise!

Options
Hi everyone! I have heard so many people on here say that they love exercising because it relieves stress and overall just makes them feel good. How long did it take everyone to get to that point? I have started 30 day shred countless times, only to get discouraged and quit because i am annoyed and frustrated every minute of it. Also, was there something you did before/during/after exercise that made you enjoy it more? Or was it just a gradual thing? thanks for your help!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    keep trying different kinds of exercise to see which ones you enjoy most.

instead of a dvd, try a class (if possible)

go for a walk or jog

try some calisthenics at a fast pace (a set of jumping jacks, followed by sit ups, etc.)

For me, during and after exercise I feel good. I feel my best during. Before I feel crappy. It is incredibly difficult to get started. But once I do, the rest is awesome. :)
  • RhondaMillard
    Options
    I think it's a matter of starting a bit slower :)

I just watched some clips of the 30 day shred DVD and yeah, I'd be quitting that too if it was the first workout I'd done in years.

I started small, got the wii fit+ and just started doing a few of those exercises each day, 2 weeks later and I'm doing harder workouts on the EA Sports Active2 game....next on my list is the NFL Training Camp workouts ( those scare me )....but I'm enjoying it because I don't feel defeated from it.

I'd say get something and start a bit slower for a few weeks till you get used to working out, and then increase your workout by a few minutes each day....before you know it you'll be doing the shred and thinking....damn this is FUN !
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i used to absolutely hate exercise, and now i'm doing a PT course next yr!
    and for me, i hate workout dvd's but absolutely love running and weights, but even saying that i hate the elliptical.
    find what works for YOU!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of starting a bit slower :)

I like Leslie Sansone's Walking DVDs for beginning to work out and recommend them. Check out what others say about them.

Good luck.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person above about starting where you are and easing in.

However, what was more important to me was finding something I truly loved. I starting going to a crossfit gym in August, which I feel quite positive everyone will agree is super intense. And I LOVE it. I go 5 days a week and struggle to take a day off because I like it that much. I like it because my gym has such a strong sense of community. I walk in, and know the people and they know my name. I'm becoming friends with these people and they are so supportive.

Regardless of how intense this workout is, I love it. The thing is - I've done workout DVDs in the past. I've done the 20 minute power ab group classes at fill in the blank globo gym where I never got to know the instructors. I HATED all of them, and honestly I don't think they were harder than crossfit, but I just didn't enjoy them. When I did the DVDs I hated doing it alone. I got bored. I didn't want to just do those same things over and over. At the globo gym classes, I hated being around a bunch of strangers and feeling like I had to do well or be embarrassed. The only thing that I find more miserable than that is the elliptical. So. Boring! Some people love this stuff - and I have no issue with that. For me, it wasn't the right atmosphere and environment.

I had to find something I love in an environment I love being in. For me, that means going to a gym with a strong sense of community, where I'm always getting to do something different. I like the challenges we complete, and revisiting benchmark workouts and seeing how much I've improved.