Lyrics or tune?

Options
My other half and I have such different tastes in music - I was wondering what does it for my MFP friends - the lyrics or the tune/melody?

Replies

• vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    I want to move like Jagger...!
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    I listen to alot of instrumental albums, so i'd have to say tune/melody usually.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Mostly lyrics.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a writer so the lyrics will get me every time. My husband is a melody man all the way.
    We can be listening to the same song and both loving it and I will say, "Those lyrics are amazing! They break my heart." He will say, "What did they say?"
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OMG that is a tough question. I sing therefore I like lyrics! I play the flute and guitar and bodhran therefore I like music! Which do I prefer? Probably music first then lyrics but great question!!!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Both
    I can listen to a song over & over because I like the music
    Same goes for a song that has meaning [to me].
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im actually an instrumentalist... I play six instruments fluently and must say - the melody speaks more to me than any verse written...
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Both
    I can listen to a song over & over because I like the music
    Same goes for a song that has meaning [to me].
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    Mostly tune does it for me.. but I do caution myself on lyrics though. I love the tune to the Lady Antebellum song "Need You" until I hear the lyrics about someone being called while the caller is drunk and saying "I need you now" idk that's just a turn off for me.. lol .. how about needing me and calling me when your sober and not full of empty emotions.. lmbo
  • jobster68
    Options
    Im actually an instrumentalist... I play six instruments fluently and must say - the melody speaks more to me than any verse written...

I would love to be able to play and instrument - or sing a note - for me the emotion to a song is in the lyrics - but my other half would say its the melody - its lovely to hear what people think - oh and I can play the triangle !
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I would love to be able to play and instrument - or sing a note - for me the emotion to a song is in the lyrics - but my other half would say its the melody - its lovely to hear what people think - oh and I can play the triangle !

LOL!

I play Clarinet, Bassoon, Bari Sax, Flute, Piano and Mallet Percussion! Yup - band geek to the core!!!! I perform with Southern NH University's community band and orchestra, and love the music pieces we perform....
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    the tune! then i'll start listening to the lyrics after i've heard the song a million times.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well for me it's the lyrics. If a song has a good beat, but the "meaning" of the song just doesn't do it for me, then I won't like the song. I like songs that have meaning, other than just jumping into bed with someone or getting jiggy with it...lol
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Tune. Sadly, I have poor hearing and the only way I can successfully learn lyrics is by looking them up.
  • MissOmi
    Options
    First a song has to have a good beat, then it must have good lyrics. I clean to music so it has to be something that is going to get me going, but that I can sing along with as well.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    First a song has to have a good beat, then it must have good lyrics. I clean to music so it has to be something that is going to get me going, but that I can sing along with as well.

Same here! I made a CD labelled cleaning music lol If it isn't upbeat enough to get me moving I'll stop cleaning and find something else to do lol