Why do we eat?

Options
Being a therapist, I often ask my clients why they do the things they do. There is usually a root cause to why the behavior is occurring. So then I want to turn that question around to me. I have been overweight now for 10 years or so. I am a yo-yo dieter. Up 30, down 30. I have lost weight on a bet, through a personal trainer, and my own motivation but once I get to a certain point I want to quit. As I was sitting on the couch tonight I wanted to pop some popcorn even though I wasn't hungry at all. Was I bored? Am I lonely? What is it? Why do you eat? From stress, to cope with something in life? To fill a hole? I'm curious. I feel like if I don't figure it out, I may never change for good.

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes so freakin' good.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i eat because i feel like it will make me happy
    i will "reward" myself
    it reminds me of good times when i was younger
    its expected (thanksgiving haha)
    i eat because i see my boyfriend eating and i dont realize i should stop even though he dosnt.
    maybe self sabatoge
    im to lazy after going to college 50 hrs a week, working 20-30, and homework at least 1-4 hours a day. and i just dont have the energy to care after a long 5am-11pm day
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes good and it's a necessity if life.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    well, when I'm eating when i'm not supposed to it's to cope with stressful things, distract myself from uncomfortable feelings... emotional eating!!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    To try and fill emotional voids.

Because it reminds me of happy memories and traditions.

Also because it tastes good.
  • bklyng718
    bklyng718 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know when I eat, def not from stress (that's when I can't eat) If I am unhappy or sad, my first instinct is to cry...def not eat. However I've noticed I eat when I am HAPPY, or watching a movie, reading a good book basically preoccupied with something, as if on some subconscious level I would like to double the joy I am experiencing...does that make sense? I think my problem is I ether celebrate with food, or plan my meals around favorite TV shows etc....Its been like this since childhood. I remember saving chocolate for a favorite cartoon, I can't just read a book without a snack...forget going into a movie theater and not buy munchies (impossible 4 me....) I haven't gone to one since July for that reason lol...Its a disease, I can't shake off. Imagine not having dinner because there isn't anything good on TV? Thank God for Hulu & Netflix lol....sad:(((
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I ate today because I was emotional, worrying abt my uncle who slipped in a hot tub and swallowed a lot of water and possibly breathed in some too... He is in the ICU under observation... I am hoping he comes home tomorrow night....
  • tigersmama35
    Options
    After a lot of journaling I finally sorted this out for myself and the answer actually surprised me.

I eat to relax. Okay, the weird thing - FOOD does not relax me. I wasn't doing it for that reason. I was doing it because I am a stay at home mom, my husband works two jobs and works very hard. I do too, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's as if I feel GUILTY if I'm not doing something. For example: hubby works 16 hours. I take care of kids, house, etc... tuck them in and the thought of sitting down for a movie or a hot bath makes me feel guilty - like why should I be able to do that when hubby is hard at work? I feel less worth because I don't work outside the home.

But I want to sit down and get off my feet. I want to zone out and turn on the tube...
    So it's okay to sit down to EAT, right?

Warped thinking, I know. And it was so automatic that I really and honestly did not realize that was why I was doing it.

Now hubby assures me constantly that I need and deserve breaks. He reminds me about his lunch hour (which you know moms don't have), about the fact he can chat with a coworker about his day for a bit where as I'm pretty on my own here during the day. He reminds me about his Friday nights where he watches t.v. at work some. In other words NO ONE else is putting this pressure on me....just me.

I doubt others are reading this going "oh wow me too!" lol as it's probably an odd one, I shared more to show that it can be the deepest yet simplest of things.

Now that I'm learning this I TRY to just tell myself - hey - go relax you don't need an excuse! I will take a hot bath or sip some yummy hot tea while watching a movie that no one else in my family would like. I don't have a lot of down time as a busy mom but I shouldn't feel guilty for enjoying it when I do!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me, it's habit. I used to watch Big Bang Theory while eating dinner Thursday nights. Now, everytime BBT comes on, I feel like I have to eat, even if i'm not hungry. There are a lot more "eat" cues like that, cues i'm trying to stop.
  • stacy3333
    stacy3333 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bklyng718
    TOTALLY get it. When I'm sad I don't eat either, but I think I do when I can't handle things in my life. I eat when I'm happy too. I mean Thanksgiving was yesterday - can you think of that day without pumpkin pie, or what about happy hour with the girlfriends, or a comfy Sunday night in without some yummy food, so I think for me I am the same. It's what I grew up with. My boyfriend says, "you should just be self-motivated to make a change" its not about the motivation, its about changing who I've been or thought I was for a long time.
  • stacy3333
    Options
    After a lot of journaling I finally sorted this out for myself and the answer actually surprised me.

I eat to relax. Okay, the weird thing - FOOD does not relax me. I wasn't doing it for that reason. I was doing it because I am a stay at home mom, my husband works two jobs and works very hard. I do too, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's as if I feel GUILTY if I'm not doing something. For example: hubby works 16 hours. I take care of kids, house, etc... tuck them in and the thought of sitting down for a movie or a hot bath makes me feel guilty - like why should I be able to do that when hubby is hard at work? I feel less worth because I don't work outside the home.

But I want to sit down and get off my feet. I want to zone out and turn on the tube...
    So it's okay to sit down to EAT, right?

Warped thinking, I know. And it was so automatic that I really and honestly did not realize that was why I was doing it.

Now hubby assures me constantly that I need and deserve breaks. He reminds me about his lunch hour (which you know moms don't have), about the fact he can chat with a coworker about his day for a bit where as I'm pretty on my own here during the day. He reminds me about his Friday nights where he watches t.v. at work some. In other words NO ONE else is putting this pressure on me....just me.

I doubt others are reading this going "oh wow me too!" lol as it's probably an odd one, I shared more to show that it can be the deepest yet simplest of things.

Now that I'm learning this I TRY to just tell myself - hey - go relax you don't need an excuse! I will take a hot bath or sip some yummy hot tea while watching a movie that no one else in my family would like. I don't have a lot of down time as a busy mom but I shouldn't feel guilty for enjoying it when I do!

I get this too. I agree I think its our underlying root causes. Its good you gave yourself "permission" to take breaks without feeling like you have to eat.
  • stacy3333
    Options
    For me, it's habit. I used to watch Big Bang Theory while eating dinner Thursday nights. Now, everytime BBT comes on, I feel like I have to eat, even if i'm not hungry. There are a lot more "eat" cues like that, cues i'm trying to stop.

Totally classic reinforcement in a bad way. I am the same way too. Lately, on Wednesdays before I see a certain client I get chickfila for lunch. (although I do love chickfila) but I was falling into a habit. What I am going to start doing is packing lunch and snacks and putting my purse in the trunk so it will make it much harder to stop in the drive-thru. So I agree some is habit, some is lifestyle, some is boredom, lonliness, and I think for me some is just the unwillingness to give up some pleasure.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Before, for comfort. Now, for health and nutrition (on most days).

For me, knowledge really is power when it comes to this topic. Before, I simply didn't know or understand the effects my eating habits had on my body. I knew I was supposed to eat better, but without understanding why I never had the motivation to actually do it. Once I started this, I learned about what I was actually putting in my body, and that combined with feeling MUCH MUCH better by eating right was enough for me to continue and not want to go back.

Along similar lines, when someone KNOWS that something is bad for them, and understands why, why do they still do it?
  • mojiwoji
    Options
    Having suffered from an eating disorder in high school (I'm now a college sophomore so I'm still recovering), family was always constantly watching to see if I'm eating. Now I eat very regularly and normally, but when I'm around my family I always feel the need to eat whatever is around just to prove to them that I'm eating. Even around people that don't know about my disorder, I sometimes instinctively feel that need to "prove" that I eat, especially if it's an occasion where there's food around. Movie nights with friends are so hard because I want to be healthy, but I feel like I wouldn't look "normal" if I didn't gorge on junk food with them!
  • novaboi24
    novaboi24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat to get the energy to keep me going. Simples :) Sometimes though I do feel like binge eating but I'm usually to busy for that HAHA :D
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It's probably a remnant from my ED days but meals gives my days structure. I find the regularity comforting.