H.E.M. vs. R.I.C.E. for ankle sprains

Options
So I sprained my right ankle Tuesday night while bouldering at my indoor climbing gym (I jumped down about 3 feet or so, backwards, and landed on the crashpad, but my ankle rolled in and made a pop). So, I've been RICE'ing for the most part but today I found HEM as a method... I started it today. I have no idea if I am playing with fire, but it seems sound and makes sense (I tend to subscribe to alternative therapies over conventional ones anyway).

Has anyone had any experience with H.E.M.?

Replies

• loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    never heard of H.E.M ??? heat elevate massage ?????
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    What does HEM stand for? I am finding sites that want to sell it or make me watch a video. What is the method?
  • emily859
    Options
    From what I can tell, its basically heat, exercise and massage... I tried it this morning, and I guess it feels better? I don't know though, as I'm still not able to really walk on it It promises a quicker recovery, than RICE because it encourages blood flow ( hot/cold water therapy) breaks up the scar tissue (massage), and exercise (basically stretching and mobility rehab stuff) all make the recovery active, rather than passive. I'm about to try the water therapy/massage again. I have no idea if all of this is true, but I can't see that it is necessarily worse, or harmful even.
  • quietlywinning
    Options
    It makes sense to me. I have never understood the "ice ice ice" mantra. Your body naturally sends extra blood flow to an area that is injured, which brings in oxygen and nutrients needed for healing. Why do they want us to fight our body's natural response? I understand icing can reduce swelling......but that swelling is it's JOB. I'm not sure I'd want to heat it up - that is happening naturally just fine - but keeping it warm or just allowing it to be warm makes sense to me. Massage is a wonderful healing therapy (I am a licensed massage therapist), but you want to be careful what kind of massage you do in the early stages of an injury. I'd stick with lymphatic drainage massage in the first day or two. Gentle exercise also makes sense.

Keep us posted in how you are doing. This is interesting.
  • emily859
    Options
    My bad on the "H" standing for heat... it stands for hydrotherapy.
    Anyway, today is day 2... I have to say, I really think it is better. Its still really stiff and hard to walk properly, but I can put weight on it without much pain. Its still swollen and warm, but much less so compared to yesterday. I'm still wearing a brace, about half time, but I've been able to go without it some, too. I'm thinking about heading to the gym to do an upper body/core workout and some yoga-style stretching. I'll definitely take the crutches, so I can get around quickly and efficiently.

Thanks for the tips! The massage I've been doing is light pressure, upward strokes towards the heart. That's what he says to do in the book... It feels good. He also says to use castor oil but I don't have any of that. I'm just using virgin coconut oil (no idea if its "doing" anything but it does make massage easier).

So far, so good, I suppose!
  • quietlywinning
    Options
    Hydrotherapy makes sense! That is cool - I'm glad you are trying it and feel like you're getting results. The coconut oil should be just fine. Light strokes towards the heart are perfect. Sounds like you are doing great!
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness I also thought it stood for "heat" as well. I was going to say that from a medical stand point heat is the LAST thing you want to do on anything that is swollen. This would cause greater swelling and pain due to dilating the blood vessels.

Kudos to you if it seems like H.E.M. working. That is a first time of me hearing. hope if continues to work for you. Happy healing. Sorry you've injured yourself : (