Hello from Vancouver, Canada

Options
Hello, I am 68 years young and looking forward to participating in this weight loss program, my goal is to lose 30 lbs. For most of my adult life I was 125 lbs then menopause hit and my weight increased to 198, four years ago I lost 40 lbs but am now back to 180.

I have asthma which is a bummer when trying to exercise, I have started doing some weight training while watching TV. As an office administrator I sit at a desk most of the time but now that the weather is improving my goal is to go for a 10 minute walk break at least twice a day. Any suggestions towards an exercise routine would be appreciated,

Replies

• SoftyBarb
    Options
    Hello, I am 68 years young and looking forward to participating in this weight loss program, my goal is to lose 30 lbs. For most of my adult life I was 125 lbs then menopause hit and my weight increased to 198, four years ago I lost 40 lbs but am now back to 180.

I have asthma which is a bummer when trying to exercise, I have started doing some weight training while watching TV. As an office administrator I sit at a desk most of the time but now that the weather is improving my goal is to go for a 10 minute walk break at least twice a day. Any suggestions towards an exercise routine would be appreciated,
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This is the best website ever. I love it here and I think you will too. This website is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • mkreiner2
    Options
    Hello I'm from Meridian, Idaho and my goal is also to get rid of 30 lbs. When did you start? And what are you doing to reach this goal? Do you have a time goal? I started this Monday, April 20th and so I've only been doing it for a week. I am doing good so far, my main struggle is the eating. The program has me on 1280 calories a day. It's tough but I'm sticking to it. Also doing the gym class for strength and cardio. Well best of luck to you and hope you keep posting for support:smile:
  • arljam
    arljam Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi and welcome!:smile:

My initial goal is to lose 66 pounds. If or when I accomplish that, I'll set a new goal to get the rest off. I have just started and have a long way to go.

Good luck!:smooched:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow BCer. Great site, wonderful information and fabulous support on the boards. Good luck on your journey.:flowerforyou:

Make sure you read the first couple of topics under GENERAL DIET AND WEIGHT LOSS tab.
  • SoftyBarb
    Options
    Thanks for your welcome and congratulations on your 39 lb weight loss!
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello from Tsawwassen, Canada Welcome neighbour:drinker:
  • SoftyBarb
    Options
    Just realized that the replies don't go to individuals. I only joined MFP yesterday after a friend recommended it, so far I like what I see especially the ease with how food is tracked.

It is amazing how the calories add up during a meal, thought I was doing great yesterday with my 1200 calorie limit until I entered the pasta dinner my husband cooked for us last night all I can say is WOW

Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I will go read the topics suggested by ce_fit
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Hello Vancouver and Welcome. I'm just up the road from you in Maple Ridge. I too, started this 3 days ago. Menopause is when I really started packing it on as well. My goal is to loose 40 lbs. I find tracking the food really helps as I'm on a 1200 calorie day. My, it sure does not take long to eat that. Was encouraged to find 2 lbs have gone so far, so do really track your food. Treat your self to a pedometer to measure how much you walk. You'll be surprised. Good luck:smile:
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    Hi from Nelson, BC.
    I love this site as it is easy and you are not bogged down with things to read. I use a measuring cup and a tablespoon and measure everything.
    Making a ticker is very motivational also as you can see the weight drop or in my case this morning, go up, as I went to a restaurant last night and blew it. I don't care though because I know how easy it is to take the weight off now, with the help of this website. I won't make a habit of going out to eat.
    Also, logging in food before you eat it helps you to make better choices.
    I learned to just give up cream in my coffee. I am even using 1% this morning, unheard of before. You get used to anything I guess.
    I had lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks but lately have been goofing off with company staying over and the restaurant etc. but am going to get back on track starting today.
    Good luck to you.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been battling weight my entire life (although I was only "overweight" and not "obese" when I was younger) and since joining this site a little over 3 mos ago I've learned why I've failed every other time in losing this weight. This is the most weight I've lost at one time and the fastest I've ever lost it, and quite truthfully, the easiest, now that I know what I've been doing wrong!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here!!
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    Hello to you from Coquitlam! Welcome!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too - for me, I avoid actual running/too many stairs, etc because that triggers asthma attacks like nothing else does! Ellipticals are easiest and most efficient for me. If I'm outside, I walk briskly, and maybe as I lose more weight and feel better I'll start to jog VERY short distances.

Just be aware of your limitations with breathing - I always push it a bit, but NEVER go too far! Attacks are nooo fun :laugh: