Does 1350 sound like a low calorie goal?

Options
I weigh 165 and would like to get down to 135.. MFP set my calorie goal to 1350/day.. I've been trying really hard to meet it, but I feel like I'm starving myself half the time.. And I know if you eat too few calories you could put your body into starvation mode. I really don't want to end up gaining weight here, lol. Any advice?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It depends, what is your goal? I would set it to 1/2 lb a week, then you can set it higher in a week or two when your used to eating better foods.

Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm 241 and my goal is 1300... as given by trainer not website
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Also, dont forget that you earn calories for exercising.
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Also, dont forget that you earn calories for exercising.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I did better on 1350 than I did at 1200, but I preferred being around 1400-1500. Remember that you can (in my opinion *should*) eat the calories you earm from exercise, which could bump your daily total up significantly. I typically averaged a total of about 1800 calories a day while I was losing.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about starvation mode, please. Starvation mode is a medical condition that I would bet very few people on this site have experienced. Starvation mode requires that you consistently and repeatedly eat roughly 500 cals/day or less for an extended period (weeks and months).

Starvation mode is not "eating light", intermittent fasting, or skipping a meal or two every now and then. It's a focused effort to disregard the signals that your body generates as it pleads with you to put food in your mouth. Think North Korea, Auschwitz, African famine, etc.

When I was losing weight, I set a calorie target of 800 to 1k cals/day and I felt hungry a total of five times. I believe it was important was to eat quite a few small meals (I ate 6/day), to exercise at least three times per week, and, also, I swapped my protein and carb % around so I was eating about 50% protein and 25% carbs.

Have a look through my diary if you care to see what I ate — perhaps that will help.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about starvation mode, please. Starvation mode is a medical condition that I would bet very few people on this site have experienced. Starvation mode requires that you consistently and repeatedly eat roughly 500 cals/day or less for an extended period (weeks and months).

Starvation mode is not "eating light", intermittent fasting, or skipping a meal or two every now and then. It's a focused effort to disregard the signals that your body generates as it pleads with you to put food in your mouth. Think North Korea, Auschwitz, African famine, etc.

When I was losing weight, I set a calorie target of 800 to 1k cals/day and I felt hungry a total of five times. I believe it was important was to eat quite a few small meals (I ate 6/day), to exercise at least three times per week, and, also, I swapped my protein and carb % around so I was eating about 50% protein and 25% carbs.

Have a look through my diary if you care to see what I ate — perhaps that will help.

That is terrific to know!!!
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Spread your calories out in small meals or snacks throughout the day. Drink water before you eat to help you feel full. Eat slowly to let your body realize that you have eaten. Eat fruits and vegetables that are low calorie so you can have more volume. Accurately log your food and exercise and don't be afraid to eat the extra calories that you earn with exercise.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lbs per week, that's what MFP suggested. I think it's fine, and I don't feel hungry.
    I wish you luck in finding the right balance for you.....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Don't worry about starvation mode, please. Starvation mode is a medical condition that I would bet very few people on this site have experienced. Starvation mode requires that you consistently and repeatedly eat roughly 500 cals/day or less for an extended period (weeks and months).

when i was younger i went into starvation mode. i had to make weight every week for ballet and i couldnt be above 95 at 5'7. i ate probably 250 cals of pretty much protein a day. you'll know it if you hit it. BUT on the flipside, as i have been losing weight since my injury, i'm a big believer in eating my exercise calories. i broke my 4 month plateau with flying colors when i started to eat more. ask your doctor though too, if you have any serious questions. feel free to add me!(:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I weigh 165 and would like to get down to 135.. MFP set my calorie goal to 1350/day.. I've been trying really hard to meet it, but I feel like I'm starving myself half the time.. And I know if you eat too few calories you could put your body into starvation mode. I really don't want to end up gaining weight here, lol. Any advice?

It is quite reasonable, but if you are feeling peckish try eating more protein - personally I used to be starving late afternoon, and then started adding a portion of protein to lunch....and also some yoghurt or cottage cheese as a snack....

The other thing that has already been mentioned - do some exercise - and then eat most of those calories (I eat about 75% of my exercise cals most of the time....)

The one thing is to make sure you do not feel as if you are starving - that is the quickest way to fall of the wagon - rather up your calories slightly - and lose at a slower rate....

There is a group on here "Woman who eat more than 2000 calories a day" - some of the members are on maintenance, but many like myself just believe in not starving ourselves, we eat much more than those poor people surviving on 800 to a 1000 calories a day - and we are still successful in losing weight - and keeping it off ;-)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Bumping to read your diary later.
  • markulin33
    Options
    i've been eating 1350 a day for 8 months and i've lost 30 pounds!!! I'm 42 and exercise about 3 times a week and weigh 207 now... but it's worked for me.. sometimes i go over like if we eat at Chili's or something, but i've never felt starved.... i eat 1 cup cereal for breakfast, a smart one for lunch, a muffin before lunch or an apple and then whatever i make for dinner for the kids, like spagetti, steak, tacos, i really don't have a problem staying around 1350 or feeling hungry. I do wake up hungy though, which i never used to before and i'm pretty sure that's the way it's supposed to be. Of course, when i get to my goal weight, i'm going to adjust it probably around 1500 or 1600 cal.
    :) jean
  • allaboutaleah
    Options
    as long as your above the minimum of 1200 calories a day, you don't have to worry about starvation mode. believe it or not, your body gets use to eating less as time goes on. I started out at 314lbs, with a calorie goal of 2030 calories, I actually never ate that much, now i'm down 16 lbs, my calorie goal is 1930, and I usually dnt go above 1500, and I dnt get hungry often. I do eat when I am hungry, I just monitor what I eat, spread it out, smaller portions etc. You do get more calories for exercise, and have the option to eat those back, but I have only done that once. You can lower your weekly weight lose goal and that will also increase your calories. find low calorie snacks, like the 100 calorie packs, drink water. You will adjust, it was hard for me to believe when I 1st started, but it's proven true. Good luck
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I was set to 1200, so I changed my weight loss to 1lb a week and now I am allowed 1390 as set by MFP. However I exercise a fair bit so I am usually eating around 2000+ a day! You need to do weight training as well which will help you lose more weight... but 1350 is plenty, you just have to choose your foods. I eat heaps of fruit, which helps to keep me feeling full.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 74kg (not sure in pounds) and on 1260 per day. I know lots of diets suggest small meals but that doesn't work for me. I've been doing the leptin style with a good hearty protein rich breakfast, nothing for 5-6 hours then a sensible lunch, nothing for 5-6 hours a sensible dinner and nothing more until the next morning. The first few days were tough, but it only took a few days for my leptin sensitivity to improve. I'm honestly not even hungry between meals now. Some days I'm even running low on calories so I grab a little piece of cake or a Bueno bar or something for dessert. I've only been trying for 3 weeks, so I can't be sure how the long term will go, but I've lost 3kg already. I've been doing some strength training too, so I expected weight loss to be really slow while I put on a little muscle.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    when i was younger i went into starvation mode.
    Why do you say that you went into starvation mode?
  • Rosepetals11
    Rosepetals11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I guess I just didnt realize how difficult this diet thing would be, our how ignorant I was before about nutrition.. I get mad cravings all the time, looks like I have some homework to do. I think until now I've never really noticed how addicting food actually is, for me at least. This involves alot more than just calorie counting. Lol. Wish me luck!
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I know that this topic has already been replied to a lot, but I just wanted to add that if you start exercising/increase your exercising by a lot, it also tends to make you more hungry, even if you're eating plenty of calories. This is also true for if you begin a diet and focus on a set amount of calories. Even though it's enough for your body to do well on its own, it's not what your body is USED to, therefore, it thinks it's hungry. But as was said, your body gets used to the lower calories and adapts pretty well. It's also partially WHAT you eat, not just when or how much. If you eat "junk" food to put it lightly, you'll consume more calories but be more hungry. Same goes for fast food and such. Even certain "healthy" foods can do it to you - such as those prepackaged frozen dinners with all the healthy lables plastered all over them. They don't fill you but the number goes up. Unpreserved/fresh foods are usually the best. Not just the best for you, but also the most filling without making your number skyrocket.
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this. MFP put me at 1240 cals per day (I'm 222 and 5'6") and I was worried it would be too low etc.