hypothyroidism - obstacle or excuse?

Options
I have hypothryoidism (a medical condition which severely slows down the motabalism for those who may not know). It runs in the female side of my family. Likely not a coincidence, the majority of my family are quite large people. For a long time, I was very large too. I topped out at 230 lbs. I pretty easily got down to 180 pounds, but then it took me a year to get down to 155. I got sick for a while and was bedridden for a month; I gained 12 pounds. 1 year to lose 25 pounds, 1 month to gain half that back. Anybody have any suggestions to help lose weight for somebody with hypothryoidism? I'm NOT on medication for it and can't get on medication for it. Any other suggestions? Certain types of exercise or certain types of food which will help with it? Anybody else who has this condition who has found some successful ways to go about this? Thanks!

Replies

• _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Why cant you get on meds for it. I had my thyroid removed and let me tell you... when your levels are off, the pounds will pack on quick! I gained 50 pounds in 6 months and my docs said no amount of excersise would help until my thyroid levels were leveled out.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to help you without medication. Seriously, NOTHING. You need to be on medication to regulate it. You do realize if you let it go too long it can get to such a severe level you could die, right?
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Why can't you get medication for it? I have an underactive thyroid and take levothyroxine, I also take some thyroid supporting vitamins. I agree it is so unbelievably easy to put weight on and in a relatively short space of time too! My digestive systems is sluggish and I am often constipated too (all part of the effects of an underactive thyroid) so I try to eat lighter meals and always incorporate fruit, I also try to keep bread down to one meal a day otherwise I feel bloated. You really should get some mediation for an underactive thyroid
  • gemini0007
    gemini0007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    After years of being Hyperthyroid, I have had RAI and am now Hypothyroid - I am on medication and my thyroid levels are under control and in the normal range. Why can't you take medication? And are your thyroid levels within the normal range - if they're not - you are fighting a losing battle.
  • gemini0007
    Options
    Why can't you get medication for it? I have an underactive thyroid and take levothyroxine, I also take some thyroid supporting vitamins. I agree it is so unbelievably easy to put weight on and in a relatively short space of time too! My digestive systems is sluggish and I am often constipated too (all part of the effects of an underactive thyroid) so I try to eat lighter meals and always incorporate fruit, I also try to keep bread down to one meal a day otherwise I feel bloated. You really should get some mediation for an underactive thyroid

Can I ask which thyroid supporting vitamins you take??
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options

I should've clarrified. I'm not a doctor or anything but apparently there's some kind of level or turning point or something that tells a doctor if you should or shouldn't be on medication for it. My sister has been on meds for it for a few years. My mom was tested and they didn't give her meds for a while. She only got them maybe a year ago. When I was last tested for it, he said I had it, and even after I explained the family history of it (also my grandmother and my aunt), he said that there was "no need for medication yet" I don't know why; again, I'm not a doctor but without that little piece of paper from the doctor saying that I need it, I can't get it. And so nobody asks; I do trust my doctor. He's been very good to me.
  • Vermilla
    Options

ARE there over the counter meds I could take to help that I don't need a doctor's Rx for?
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

ARE there over the counter meds I could take to help that I don't need a doctor's Rx for?

I would like to know this too
  • snockers3112
    Options
    I've been taking Higher Nature Thyroid Support Formula for a while now - there is no proof they actually do anything but I figure it can't do any harm to feed my body vitamins that are meant to support the thyroid. Since losing some weight I feel better already :)
  • snockers3112
    Options

I've heard that dessicated thyroid extract does the same job at levothyroxine? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract
  • Vermilla
    Options
    Hm, interesting. I'm not really a pill person. I hate pills and only take them if absolutely necessary. I won't even take pain medication unless I'm in the hospital. But that aside, I know there's a LOT of BS out there for just about every problem ever mentioned (and some made up most likely). There's tons of medications, herbal supplements, and "cures" for everything. Pretty much just to make money for people stupid enough to buy the products. Does anybody know of any that they know work? Preferably through personal experience or something that a medical professional suggested? I'll look into it myself if it helps but I'd rather not go on a wild goose chase. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who struggles with hypothyroidism though.
  • gemini0007
    Options

I should've clarrified. I'm not a doctor or anything but apparently there's some kind of level or turning point or something that tells a doctor if you should or shouldn't be on medication for it. My sister has been on meds for it for a few years. My mom was tested and they didn't give her meds for a while. She only got them maybe a year ago. When I was last tested for it, he said I had it, and even after I explained the family history of it (also my grandmother and my aunt), he said that there was "no need for medication yet" I don't know why; again, I'm not a doctor but without that little piece of paper from the doctor saying that I need it, I can't get it. And so nobody asks; I do trust my doctor. He's been very good to me.

I guess your levels are considered 'under control' - I assume you have had blood tests. In that case - to answer your question - it's an excuse - I have been hypothyroid for over three years now - yes I was overweight, but thanks to MFP I have lost 17 kgs (37 lbs) and my BMI is in the normal range. Your hypothyroidism is only an obstacle when your levels are not under control.
  • gemini0007
    Options

I've heard that dessicated thyroid extract does the same job at levothyroxine? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract

That is what I take - it's called Whole Thyroid here in New Zealand - and it's on prescription not an over the counter medication.
  • snockers3112
    Options
    gemini0007 - so dessicated thyroid works just as well for you as the synthetic tablets?? That is interesting :) It isn't prescribed here in the UK
  • Vermilla
    Options

I guess your levels are considered 'under control' - I assume you have had blood tests. In that case - to answer your question - it's an excuse - I have been hypothyroid for over three years now - yes I was overweight, but thanks to MFP I have lost 17 kgs (37 lbs) and my BMI is in the normal range. Your hypothyroidism is only an obstacle when your levels are not under control.

Yeah, I had a blood test about a year ago, along with everything else. I thought about it again because it's been a while. I eat around 1000-1500 calories a day but I'm also very active and go to the gym nearly every day where I burn an extra 400-800 calories. I eat healthy and watch the nutrition of what I eat. I was doing pretty good till about four months ago or so where I just stopped dead no matter what I did, and now for the past bit, I just keep putting on weight and feeling extraordinarily tired and ceaselessly frozen stiff, even though my heat is constantly on at 70F. When I was talking to some friends, they said it may be the hypothyroidism so I figured I'd ask. I havent' been back to the doctor because - nothing personal against him - but I hate doctors.
  • gemini0007
    Options
    gemini0007 - so dessicated thyroid works just as well for you as the synthetic tablets?? That is interesting :) It isn't prescribed here in the UK

It's the only thing I have taken since having the RAI treatment (since being hypothyroid). It's worked wonderfully for me. So you can buy this over the counter??? I must keep that in mind next time my friends travel to the UK. I had to go to my doctor and tell her how to go about prescribing it - she knew nothing about it and I insisted that I wanted to try it. And the last time I had my prescription filled - the chemist told me how strict they are with the production of Whole Thyroid-she can't hold stock she can only order it once she has the prescription - so it always takes a day or two to get.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

It does, but I believe you need a prescription for it in the US, and a doctor probably won't give you one if your numbers are in the normal range, even if it's borderline low. Which you can be, for years, or all your life. It sucks, but they will not medicate you for it.

Stimulants such as amphetamines will raise metabolism, but of course the most powerful of those are tightly controlled, you're not getting a prescription for any of them easily, either.

I'm not sure you want to start messing with thyroid hormones, no matter what the source. There are some nasty side effects reported with those, some of them potentially fatal.

I'm not a doctor this isn't medical advice blah blah etc. etc.

Edit- I did find a listing of OTC thyroid medication from dessicated pig thyroid. The article says it's weaker than the ones that require a prescription.

Still not sure I'd mess with those myself, but I guess if I was desperate I'd try anything.
  • gemini0007
    Options
    Ah - okay it's been a year - your levels may have changed and it may be time for you to go on some medication. I would recommend you visit your doctor and ask for a blood test for your thyroid levels.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was born with an under active thyroid (Congenital Hypothyroidism) which caused a number of difficulties and disabilties for me in my life, but I was brought up to believe 'Disability is not an excuse' . Weight wasn't a major issue for me as a child as my doctor always had me on high dose so as not to stunt growth and my parents always kept me active.

When I developed Ataxia from it in my early thirties and had problems with my body not converting the T4 tablets to T3 I piled on weight and at my heaviest was 16st... I did get down to 11st 7 over the years as the ataxia increased the energy I needed to do stuff but it was still slow process as they didn't have my meds right to start with and I wasn't burning a huge amount of extra calories in early stages whilst it was so mild. I was also still eating carbs normally and hadn't heard of the link between Hypothyroidism and allergies.

After I put a stone back on reaching 12st 7 (175lbs) I joined a diet forum as the pain I was getting in my back was unbearable and needed to lose weight around my middle, first four months were slow then I discovered low cab and the link between wheat intolerance and Hypothyroidism, so I cut out wheat, I allow gluten free bread and a brownie once a week and rest of meals are veg, salad, fruit, lean white meat or fish, allow red meat once a week.. usually sunday dinner as I enjoy lamb or chilli made with lamb mince and corn tortilla'.

The weight has been dropping off regularly since, and as the weight has been dropping off the pain has been less, I've been able to exercise more and so I can keep a deficit in my diet even if I fancy a treat. I've now managed to lose 27lbs since June and reached 148lbs (10st 8).

Where there's a will, there's a way, as they say! ... but sometimes it just takes a while to find what works for you.

Good luck! :happy:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Ah - okay it's been a year - your levels may have changed and it may be time for you to go on some medication. I would recommend you visit your doctor and ask for a blood test for your thyroid levels.

This. And maybe pester your doctor to tell you your number (there are three, I believe, but usually one is used to determine whether you'll get medication or not). That way you'll know just how borderline you are. Don't listen to vague reassurances, either. Get a copy of the blood work numbers and look them up online. That was the only way I could find out I was borderline low, the doctor who ordered the blood work refused to tell me I was, despite the fact that it must have been obvious to her.