How many days

Options
How many day does everyone work out in order to lose weight??? Is 3 days enough?

1195334.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 5 days a week but don't always make it.
  • davischiky
    davischiky Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How many days do u usually average? Are u still able to keep the weight off?

1195334.png
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I aim for 3 days a week....as long as your moving and doing more than normal, you're good.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss that is great. I usually work out 5-6xs a week , I vary my workouts between walking, swimming, wii fit plus and biking. My time varies also anywhere from 20mins to 2hrs. It might help to do exercise 5 times a week and also to vary the exercise that you do . Our bodies can get use to what we are doing and then we dont loose as quickly.You can do it
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I do 4-5 a week, but I have lost weight without working out too
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty broad statement. You can work out 8 days a week, but if you're eating too much, and not eating the right foods you'll gain weight.

I would think 3 days would be a decent amount of excersise. My wife has lost 40 pounds and doesn't excersise beyond taking walks. But like I alluded to above...You can't out excersise a bad diet!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what Iplay said.

you can work out 0 days if you have the correct nutrition. But this is myFITNESSpal, not myDIETpal so we like to emphasize that working out also helps with fitness and lots of other aspects of health besides weight loss.

Like I always tell my clients, you lose weight by eating a healthy balanced diet and creating a small to moderate deficit, you exercise to become more healthy, have a stronger immune system, and to gain strength, agility, and an overall better quality of life.
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I only started 2 weeks ago, but I work out 6 days a week on an ellpitical machine for 30 minutes/day on M, T, W, Th, Sun, and for 60 minutes on Saturday. Friday is a total recovery day, I sleep in the hour I would be up working out and just lounge after work and relax.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I also aim for 5. Once in awhile I manage six. I try really hard to give my body a "sabbath" one day a week to recuperate. That doesn't mean I necessarily sit all day with my feet up, but I don't plan a workout, and if I do anything it's strictly "fun stuff," like taking a hike in the woods, or playing a game with my grandchildren.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    How many day does everyone work out in order to lose weight??? Is 3 days enough?

1195334.png

When I first started on this weight loss plan, I went on 1200 calories per day and did treadmill for an hour twice per week. When the weight loss slowed down, I stuck in another exercise session.

After about six weeks, the weight loss slowed again and I added in a long walk (outside) as an extra exercise session.

What I am trying to say is that three days per week is enough, but if you find your weight loss slowing down, you may find by bunging another session in, it will help your weight loss.

Whatever you do, do not go hell for leather at the beginning of your weight loss plan, because if you do, there is no buffer for later on as your weight loss slows down.
  • kathleensnyder
    Options
    I walk every morning as soon as I get up & try to do other exercises at least 3 days a week.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Until recently, I was working out 45 minutes a day, 4 days a week. I gained 2 pounds because my diet sucked! I am hoping that by monitoring my diet, I will take off the weight without having to drastically increase my workouts for the time being.
  • zariana88
    Options
    I try to get between 4-5 but I do tend to do something every day, I am not sure how many it takes to loose weight though.
    :ohwell:
  • zariana88
    Options
    Hi there, I am glad I read your post, as I have gained a pound this week, but I dont know exactly why. Looked over my diet, and it is pretty poor, but I am taking the view that I have to change the qualtiy and the amount of excercise. The odd thing I read as I have been searching the internet is the view that you should excercise and burn off more calories than you take on board? which personally seems danm near impossible..what are your thoughts?
    :-)
  • gill6880
    Options
    i trained between 20 - 30 minutes 6 days per week doing interval training - combined with MFP i lost 5 stone in 3 months. Give me a shout back for exercise plans :happy:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try for 7 with a fallback of 6 but I have no idea what is enough or too much or whatever, I just know I hate being hungry and working out lets me eat more and still lose weight.
  • zariana88
    Options
    Hi there, any excercise plans would br greatly recieved thanx, send them along :-)
  • gill6880
    Options
    Start with a 10 minute warm up - some light jogging for instance - this can be indoors (vacuum the whole house - anything to work up a sweat).
    You need to time the following sessions (I invested in a 'GYMBOSS' interval timer)

Push-ups - 30 secs (aim for a minimum of 8 reps)
    Body Squats - 30 secs (aim for a minimum of 8 reps)
    Lunges - 30 secs (aim for a minimum of 16 reps)
    Rest - 30 secs

Repeat circuit 6 times - total time of 12 minutes

Cool down for 5 minutes

Sometimes I perform a light version of the exercises as a warm up for about 5 minutes.

Do that 3 times a week - say: Mon - Wed - Fri

General Cardio - Go for a 20 minute Jog,Speed walk, Swim, Run, Cycle etc on Tue - Thurs - Sat

Rest on Sunday

I have ways of boosting you're cardio sessions - let me know when you have mastered the above and the training gets stale.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am glad I read your post, as I have gained a pound this week, but I dont know exactly why. Looked over my diet, and it is pretty poor, but I am taking the view that I have to change the qualtiy and the amount of excercise. The odd thing I read as I have been searching the internet is the view that you should excercise and burn off more calories than you take on board? which personally seems danm near impossible..what are your thoughts?
    :-)

It is not impossible at all. If you are following the calorie guideline set by MFP (assuming you selected a weight loss goal, not maintaince) that is exactly what you are doing. Our bodies burn calories just to survive. Everyday living burns calories. Those account for that base rate. MFP estimates your base rate, then deducts a reasonable amount to create a deficit. For example, my base rate is around 1950. At that intake I neither gain nor lose. To lose a pound a week, MFP suggests I eat 1450 calories. If I eat that amount consistantly, even without exercise, I will lose weight. The object is not to burn off the entire 1950 because my body still needs some of that to survive. I can also eat more of the 1450 if I exercise, as long as I maintain the net of 1450. Net = calories eaten - calories burned in exercise.

The scale is the least reliable way to gauge weight loss. The fact you are up a pound this week does not necessarily mean you gained 1 lb of fat. Many things can cause weight to fluctuate, from the time of day and month, how much sleep you have gotten, what you have been eating, etc.