How many almonds in an ounce?

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi

Sorry if this is a silly question but how many almonds (roughly) make an ounce?
I love smoked almonds...any brand I should look for as far as cals etc

Thanks, kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Sorry if this is a silly question but how many almonds (roughly) make an ounce?
    I love smoked almonds...any brand I should look for as far as cals etc

Thanks, kim
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    about 20-24. watch out for the flavored almonds, the sodium count is very high for them.

I love raw almonds.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I like them raw myself. I buy the blue diamond brand, whole natural. It says 1oz is about 28 almonds!!!
  • Drkrimage2
    Options
    weigh them out, best way to know then put them into one oz two ounce cups with lids. try roasting your own that way you can get any flavor you want to try. GO low on the salt and sugars, try natural flavors. buy raw and go from there. Try crush are cutting them up, add them to all different types of food.

Have fun and enjoy.

Lonnie -Denver Colo
  • raymonda999
    Options
    or "How much does a hen weigh?" It depends.....

:happy: :happy:
  • jrodriguez2315
    Options
    Just to clarify... There's no such thing as edible raw almonds. Almonds that are raw are actually poisonous... They contains high levels of cyanide.

After they are heat treated (cooked), they can be eaten as the heat changes the chemistry of the cyanide.

By raw almonds, do you mean plain almonds?
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would weigh them ~ the size of almonds is so different… I don't agree that counting them out would be an accurate way to measure.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Usually it is about 28. Sometimes I'm too lazy to weigh them and just count out 28 and call it an ounce.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Weigh them, don't count. Nuts are pretty calorie dense.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Another vote for weighing nuts.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Put them on a scale, set the scale to grams, then stop when you hit 28.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just to clarify... There's no such thing as edible raw almonds. Almonds that are raw are actually poisonous... They contains high levels of cyanide.

After they are heat treated (cooked), they can be eaten as the heat changes the chemistry of the cyanide.

Having picked almonds off the almond trees in my husband's family farm in Sicily in copious amounts and peeled them and eaten them right there in the field, I can say with quite a bit of confidence that if this is true, then it must take a heck of a lot of almonds to poison you, as I am still alive enough to type this. ;)
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    caccicoo wrote: »

Having picked almonds off the almond trees in my husband's family farm in Sicily in copious amounts and peeled them and eaten them right there in the field, I can say with quite a bit of confidence that if this is true, then it must take a heck of a lot of almonds to poison you, as I am still alive enough to type this. ;)

Okay... just found out why. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/certain-almonds-are-highly-poisonous/

Only bitter almonds are highly poisonous. The other kind are fine.
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted this on r/loseit & I bookmarked it. Hope it helps!
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/What-One-Ounce-Nuts-Looks-Like-7545633
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Did someone say nuts? ;)