Can someone look at my food diary???

Options
After getting some great advice here, I am trying to clean up my diet and no more lean cuisine meals, less sodium and lots more fruits and veggies. I am not sure if I am heading in the right direction so can someone help me out with my food diary and see how it looks to you?? I really am trying very hard here so I will need all the support I can get. I will probably be posting a LOT! LOL!! Also, I need to kick up my exercise routine. Right now I am only doing a light aerobic exercise but I did order shread in 30 and it will be here Mon. Does anyone have some ideas on exercise routines that will realy focus on toning??

Thank you all so much!

ETA: I forgot to ask, I have seen a lot of people talk about calorie deficit?? What does that mean?? I am at the very lowest calorie intake but should that be something to think about?? Thanks again!

Replies

• LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I just looked - doesn't look too bad. Question: what are you using 5 tablespoons of creamer in? Hopefully more than one cup of coffee...didn't see it listed there - but could've missed it. Great job on getting rid of some of the processed foods; Lean Cuisine, etc. You might consider comparing fat free products against low fat. Sometimes low fat is better, and definitely tastes better in my opinion. Sorry, I'm not sure what is meant by calorie deficit. Best of luck to you on your journey - you can friend me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • chrissys74
    Options
    Yeah, a couple cups of coffee. I should cut that out right?? *sigh* very hard. I should though right?? UGH!

Anything else I should change???
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is the amount of calories that you consume minus the amount of calories you burn. For example, if I burn 2200 calories throughout the day (through daily activities and exercise combined) and consume 1200, then my deficit is 1000 calories for the day. When your deficit is 1000 calories each day for the week, then you will lose 2 pounds that week (7000 calories deficit for 2 pounds, 3500 for 1 pound). If you have your goals set to lose 2 pounds a week, then your deficit will be as close to 1000 each day that MFP will allow. Keep in mind that MFP will only allow you to go as low as 1200 consumed each day, so depending on your calorie burn for the day, it may be less than 1000.

Hope I explained that well enough:)

As far as your diary, it's a good idea to eat more fresh fruits and veggies and less processed. I always make sure at least one meal has a large portion of veggies - salads, roasted veggies, etc.
  • kimcat73
    Options
    I would also start tracking your sodium in your diary, makes a huge difference:)
  • maccerpops
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the amount below what your body needs that you eat when you're dieting. Its a simple calculation based on calories in (eaten) vs calories out (used by your body to function). When you diet you need to ensure that your body is running to a deficit, meaning that you are putting less in than your body is using - causing weight loss.

i.e. if your body needs 1800 calories per day to function, healthy dieting usually recommends a max 500 calorie deficit, meaning that you eat 1300 per day - forcing your body to take the additional 500 from 'stores' in your body, causing the weight loss.

MyFitnessPal calculates all of this from your goals and height, age etc. It will tell you in the 'goals' section what it has calculated for you. You don't need to worry about this really but just don't go above a 500 calorie deficit as it forces your body to slow the metabolism and burn less calories - so is counterproductive.

Hope this helps!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP has already calculated the deficit for you, you don't need to do it yourself. That is why it is suggested you eat back you workout calories because MFP has already put you in a deficit and working out on top of that creates a larger deficit. You want to create a reasonable deficit without starving your body with one that is too large which can cause problems.

Eta - too slow. Someone answered ahead of me. I just wanted to make sure you understood you don't have to create a deficit.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Agree 13% of your calories from flavored creamer seems high for the few calories you have to spend. I would never suggest you get rid of calories, but find a way to reduce the portion on creamer.... make the coffee weaker, so you dont' need so much creamer.... dinkd smaller portion of coffee?
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need to cut out coffee. I have coffee every morning. 2 cups with one tbsp of creamer in each. But I would try and cut back on the creamer if you can.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water, also...
    and quite honestly, you are trying to lose 13 lbs-- so you may want to go with a smaller deficit and aim for 1/2 lb per week. When I was over 200 lbs it was a lot easier to survive on less calories, but the closer I get to my goal weight it is way too hard. When I was at the lose 1 lb setting I hit a serious plateau for about a month...then I changed to 1/2 and was losing a 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week. Now I am on maintenance and I am losing about 1/4 lb a week...and that is including all of the holiday baking and eating.
    Try making realistic changes and giving yourself time to lose the pounds...
    I don't think I could eat as little as you do and feel good, but that is just my opinion :)
    Also, I wouldn't cut out your coffee. According to my Dr, women who drink coffee daily are much less likely to suffer from depression.
    Good for you for tracking your food and trying to be healthier!
  • raelynne629
    raelynne629 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For the coffee issue, since this is what seems to be the issue, what if you try replacing some of the creaminess in your coffee with some skim milk and some of the sweetness with a splenda/stevia and using the creamer for just the flavor... so maybe a tablespoon of creamer, a tablespoon of milk and a packet of splenda.

You can also up your water intake for sodium concerns. Once you start the 30 day shred, you'll have a lot more calories to eat (remember you want to come as close to your calorie goals as possible in order to avoid your body starving)
  • chrissys74
    Options
    how do I track my sodium?? I don't see an option for that. also, how do I know how much sodium I should be having?? Thanks for looking at my diary. I will cut back on the creamer. I know it is a lot for 2 cups of coffee. I am also going to look into more natual, less calorie creamers today.
  • kimcat73
    Options
    how do I track my sodium?? I don't see an option for that. also, how do I know how much sodium I should be having?? Thanks for looking at my diary. I will cut back on the creamer. I know it is a lot for 2 cups of coffee. I am also going to look into more natual, less calorie creamers today.

Go to FOODS, click on SETTINGS, and change a drop down list to sodium
  • chrissys74
    Options

Go to FOODS, click on SETTINGS, and change a drop down list to sodium

awesome thanks!!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Question: what are you using 5 tablespoons of creamer in? Hopefully more than one cup of coffee...didn't see it listed there - but could've missed it.
    Actually, it doesn't matter how many cups of coffee it's spread over, five tablespoons of creamer is five tablespoons of creamer. Arguably, drinking less coffee would be better for you, so hopefully it's not one teaspoon of creamer in fifteen cups of coffee! :bigsmile:

That is a lot of calories gone though, so if you can cut down on it, you could have more "real" food.

Apart from that it all looks great, as you're used to having a lot of pre-measured meals, just be aware that some healthy ingredients can still have a high calorie content so you need to be a bit pedantic about weighing everything - I once made pointless a couple of week's careful dieting by making assumptions about the weight of cheese. Most disappointing, so don't make that mistake yourself.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    how do I track my sodium??
    Others have explained how but I'll add that, bizarrely, you can track far less on this website than you can on the Android app - so if you have a smartphone, add your calories with that which is far quicker and easier anyway, especially with the bar code scanner.
  • chrissys74
    Options
    thanks everyone!! So,I am tracking my sodium as well as sugar. It seems a go over sugar a bit. (could it be the creamer?? LOL) but my sodium, I am not even close to my goal...at all. Is that okay?? I mean, I know you need sodium but that much?? It seems almost impossible.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    thanks everyone!! So,I am tracking my sodium as well as sugar. It seems a go over sugar a bit. (could it be the creamer?? LOL) but my sodium, I am not even close to my goal...at all. Is that okay?? I mean, I know you need sodium but that much?? It seems almost impossible.
    2500mg of sodium isn't a goal, it's the maximum limit recommended in the US, there is no minimum set limit. Some countries governments have it set lower, so do not deliberately try and reach 2500mg.

If you do a lot of physical stuff in a hot humid environment you might need more but really, for the average person eating properly, the less the better.

EDITED TO ADD: Same goes for saturated fats, the amount quoted is a maximum, the ideal is as little as possible while still eating a balanced diet - so while it's good to include some dairy for the calcium etc it's not good to have a bunch of saturated fats from eating lot of fatty pork.
  • kimcat73
    Options
    Staying under sodium is what you want to do, those numbers look good. Be mindful of some MFP foods in the database that may say 0 sodium, sometimes they aren't correct. Yours look ok though
  • chrissys74
    Options
    Got it! Thanks!