Now what?

Options
I went to a dietician in August to see what I could do to tweak my diet to help me lose weight. I have been gaining weight for the last month and half. She suggested going to the doctor to have my thyroid checked. I went to the doctor earlier this week. The results are back and, thankfully, I have nothing medically wrong. At the same time, it is bothersome because I am still gaining weight! The doctor said just keep on doing what I am doing. If you look at my diary, don't tell me I am eating to little. Both the dietician and doctor agreed on this amount. I am starving. I am tired of starving and still not losing! This week particular I have eaten even less and GAINED 2 lbs!!!! No, it isn't muscle weight because my pants are getting tight.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    If you are starving then your body needs something. I hate to say, but I would go agaist their advice. Eat some more lean satisfying protiens that will help you get protien and make you feel fuller longer.

I didn't look at your diary, and I am not trying to tell you what to do, but you are the one starving. I truly believe you need to listen to your body and eat.

Best wishes.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    couldn't see your diary so can't say. Maybe it is what you are eating, not how many calories. If you eat a lot of bread/pasta/processed foods you are not getting enough nutrients, it is better to eat lots of fruits and veggies etc. I know that I have all sorts of food allergies and one of the symptoms is bloating. If I get even a little bit of wheat I balloon up. I would try to really start tracking how you feel after you eat each meal, and then try eliminating different things from you diet (one at a time) to see if it makes a difference.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Sorry, but them's the rules.

It's just WHAT you eat. I've taken to yogurt, granola & berries in the morning, soup for lunch, & salad & protein for dinner... like chicken or fish. But you still need the occasional steak in there.

I've been in starvation mode. You're hungry constantly, & you're gaining weight/

Double your water intake. Try that.
  • techgeeksquared
    techgeeksquared Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietician in August to see what I could do to tweak my diet to help me lose weight. I have been gaining weight for the last month and half. She suggested going to the doctor to have my thyroid checked. I went to the doctor earlier this week. The results are back and, thankfully, I have nothing medically wrong. At the same time, it is bothersome because I am still gaining weight! The doctor said just keep on doing what I am doing. If you look at my diary, don't tell me I am eating to little. Both the dietician and doctor agreed on this amount. I am starving. I am tired of starving and still not losing! This week particular I have eaten even less and GAINED 2 lbs!!!! No, it isn't muscle weight because my pants are getting tight.
    One thing to consider when having your thyroid checked is that the results are terribly inaccurate. Blood testing does not check to see how well your thyroid is working or how much thyroid hormone is available at that place in the body where the thyroid hormone does its job. It checks to see if the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is in the "normal" range. The definition of normal to the test is an enormous range. I suggest you take a self examination. Look at these symptoms and evaluate your self honestly. Get a second opinion if you think you may not by objective. http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/symptoms.htm

You know your body better than anyone. If you feel like something is wrong and you don't feel like you used to....investigate, you are probably right. Good luck and keep up the good work. ~Techgeeksquared
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So, not having looked at your diary, just listening to what you said, my thoughts are this: Why NOT try upping your calories to what MFP says to have -- whatever that may be. If you exercise, eat your exercise calories back. WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE? You're gaining weight now -- so if in 3 weeks time (yes, give it that long) you are still gaining weight, nothing would have changed... but if you start to lose weight, while also satisfying your hunger, then look what you have "gained".

I've done this weight loss thing a few times in my life (unfortunately) -- this time I'm doing it for healthiness instead of just weight loss -- but I have seen each and every time that I go through this -- eating more helps to lose the weight.

Just my opinion but it does seem like a reasonable change.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are medical reasons other than thyroid that would cause weight gain and your doctor should have examined these.

Your diary closed so we can't see it.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thyroid can be a problem even if it's in the normal range but on the very low end. That what happened to me, i was just above the "normal" range but extremely low. My dr put me on meds and WOW did it make a difference. I was on that med dose for a long time and all my symptoms were getting very high again, so she re tested me and upped my dose. Now my dose is double and my blood work is excellent but i still am gaining weight? not sure why, and what's going on..... but all my other symptoms are now gone :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are starving then your body needs something. I hate to say, but I would go agaist their advice. Eat some more lean satisfying protiens that will help you get protien and make you feel fuller longer.

I didn't look at your diary, and I am not trying to tell you what to do, but you are the one starving. I truly believe you need to listen to your body and eat.

Best wishes.

^^^ this! Eat more!
    Set calories 20% below maintenance.
    BTW your maintenance changes so you may have to tweak it every month or so.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    First things first, you can't gain muscle in a calorie deficit. It's near impossible. You need to be in a calorie surplus for that to happen.

Second, who says you have to listen to your doc and dietitian? They don't know everything. If feel like you need to eat more, then eat more... plain and simple.

Third, that two pounds sounds like water weight and bloating. Make sure to drink plenty of water and watch your sodium counts. Sodium plays a big role in bloating and can make pants feel tighter when it's really just water retention.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    There are medical reasons other than thyroid that would cause weight gain and your doctor should have examined these.

Your diary closed so we can't see it.

Sorry, I think my diary is open now. I know it isn't perfect but it is a lot better than what it used to be. I need to add more veggies. This week was bad for veggies. Been on a carb binge.
  • seeled
    Options
    When I went to the dietician she put me on some machine that checked to see how many calories my body needed to function a day. Just to lay around and do nothing, my body only needs 1000-1100 a day compared to MFP saying 1700.
  • seeled
    Options

Best wishes.

^^^ this! Eat more!
    Set calories 20% below maintenance.
    BTW your maintenance changes so you may have to tweak it every month or so.

How do I determine maintenance?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your doctor told you to net about 1000 cals? sorry but i think you should eat more.

and try to get more clean foods and fruit and veg into your diet, you will find its more fillign than processed carb filled snacks.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So you're eating what your doctor is telling you but you're starving and putting on weight. So why not try eating more and see if that changes anything? Your putting on weight anyways, might as well not be hungry if it's going to happen.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

How do I determine maintenance?

Use fat to Fit tools.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

I only really suggest the BMR calories tool.
    You put in your age
    weight
    goal
    BF%

Use the 2nd number because its more accurate.

Down below it will spit out your calories to eat at different activity levels!

If you like you can join our group.
    We started it about a week ago!
    "Feed the Furnace Burn the Fat!"
    Hugs!

BTW you will be shocked at how many calories you could be eating to drop weight.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    When I went to the dietician she put me on some machine that checked to see how many calories my body needed to function a day. Just to lay around and do nothing, my body only needs 1000-1100 a day compared to MFP saying 1700.

What your dietician told you was just to breath and be sedentary. What MFP outputs is including your activity level (just normal moving around ) so 1700 is your maintenance. So if you subtract 250 cals from that with food and subtract another 250 cals from excercise you will loose but still be eating close to 1500 cals!!! Or you can enter lose 1/2 lb a week on MFP or 1 lb at most and it will subtract 500 cals. SOOOOO IF YOU EXCERCISE ON TOP OF THAT YOU MUST EAT YOR CALS BACK to keep a healthy speed metabolism. Sure you dont have to eat your cals back but if you want a speedy metabolism it is best. You must be close to my height of 5'2" if your dietictian said 1000-1100 because thats what my BMR is as well. MFP says no less than 1200.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're starving and gaining weight.
    I really don't see much nutrition in your meals. If your doctor approved what you're eating, you need to get a new doctor.
    Also I see you snack A LOT at night. And it's all sugary carbs. That may be a habit you need to break.

You're the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

If its not working for you, try something different.

I'm no expert, but there is no way I could be satisfied with your menu plan.

I eat way more than you and I only allot myself 1200!

Are you willing to change your daily eating habits to see a change?
  • seeled
    Options
    Yes, this week I have been eating carbs. I know I need to add veggies back to my diet. Even when I ate a lot of veggies, I was still gaining. It seems I lose and gain the same 3 lbs but overall since October I have gained 10 lbs and kept it. My night snack is anything after supper. Sometimes we eat supper at 430-5pm.
    I tried eating 1500 calories a day earlier in the year. That didnt help either. The rest of the year is going to be hard since I am going to be away from home a lot of probably eating out a lot. Then we also have a vacation planned right before Christmas. ughhhh! I might as well give up for a while. I think I am addicted to this app...haha
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt, choc chip cookie, animal crackers (all in same day).... Less processed carbs, more protein and veggies.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. My husband and I started at the same time, and he dropped like crazy while I gained a few. I was at 1,200 a day, and sticking to it. Finally I got fed up and stopped tracking so closely - when I did track, I was eating about 1,500 cals a day, and I started dropping weight like crazy. So I highly recommend what others said - up your calorie intake! Good luck!