Make Ahead Meals

Options
So, I just a few short months, I will finally be giving birth to my first child. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas other than the typical lasagna, chili, and soups that I could make ahead of time and freeze. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Breakfast sandiwiches
    Premade smoothies
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I make little puff pastry pockets, make any filling and wrap it up in puff pastry, it's perfect for the family for a quick meal and easy
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    burritos, pizza, any type of casserole, hamburger patties, anything you make you could freeze in individual servings so you don't have to defrost more than you will eat at one serving.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!
    Not really recipe,but it helps pull meals together.
    I cook a whole chicken or 2 shred
    Cook couple pds Turkey meat
    Freeze baggies and take out for quick meals, tacos,sloppy joes-taco salad-chicken salads or stir fry's
    also I roast veggies and freeze same way to add to meals.
    easy just pop on salad lettuce rice bread.
    Hope it helps a bit:-)
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Any kind of stew usually freezes well, make a big batch and portion it out. Meatballs do well in the freezer as well
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can freeze just about any soups. It is not recommended to freeze soups with potatoes. Definitely freeze in individual servings :)
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love to freeze made up food. As its winter I would do stews, tagines, meat sauce for pasta and shepherds pie. They can be made really healthy, for cheap and keep well if stored right.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Make a ton of grilled boneless chicken breast. Cut it into strips and Freeze it in individual servings and take it out as you need it.
    Mashed potatoes can also be frozen in bags and used as you need it. Meatballs, make them and put them on a sheet pan and freeze. After they are frozen bag them up. and Meatloaf too.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Crockpots are amazing, and so fast to throw together. Some favorites in my house are chicken breast with cream of mushroom soup (add soup + water, plus chicken in the morning on low and ready by dinner), or some pulled chicken or pork with bbq sauce (again, add a little water or orange juice to thin it out), or even just a good ol fashioned pot roast with potatoes and root veggies (roast + peeled quartered potatoes + carrots/parsnips + water and broth). You can even put the ingredients in large freezer bags and make kits that you throw into the crockpot in the AM.

Crockpots are on sale at walmart, target, jc penny, etc....

Not sure if you are having a baby shower, but a great idea is to have everyone bring something to stock your freezer with. Like a frozen casserole or even just a single tupperware of soup. It's fun for the guests, and saves you from cooking for a couple of weeks. Hope that idea helps!
  • techgeeksquared
    techgeeksquared Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So, I just a few short months, I will finally be giving birth to my first child. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas other than the typical lasagna, chili, and soups that I could make ahead of time and freeze. Thanks in advance!!

Awesome! I'm glad you asked. This soup is awesome and freezes well.

http://www.food.com/recipe/white-chili-football-soup-110846
  • momof4sons
    Options
    i do a homemade chicken pot pie and my own tv dinners f reeze all in portions