Weight Loss and Smoking

Options
I hate smoking. I really do. I've successfully quit several times, but picked it back up because my appetite got out of control and I started gaining weight. Terrible reason, I know.
I'm just about to reach my UGW and I think I've figured out what a normal portion of food is supposed to be, and I want to quit the cigarettes.
Anyone out there have any stories/ suggestions on keeping the weight off AND getting this crap out of my system??

Replies

• MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I tried many, many times to quit smoking and to diet...never doing them at the same time because I thought I had to smoke to keep my appetite under control or to diet when I was trying to quit smoking, blah blah blah. I finally figured out 2 years ago that I would have a cigarette to try to keep from eating something but shortly after I would have to eat something to get the taste of the cigarette out of my mouth so the 2 things worked to have me smoking and fat. horrible! The only way I quit smoking was to go cold turkey and do it at the same time I went on ...well, I won't call it a diet because it is a forever thing ....but I joined Weight Watchers the same day I quit smoking. The first month of getting off cigarettes and sugars was just a bear, to be honest. HOWEVER, am now 78 pounds lighter and no smoking - and am now a runner because I can breathe. My suggestion is to just throw away the cigarettes and keep your keep your eating under control here on MFP. Be accountable and don't lie to yourself and say it is okay to put on weight when you quit smoking. It isn't. It is hard but the benefits far outweigh the difficulties! I did it and I'm no super hero. So can you.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just think of you overall health. It sounds like if you can put them down and pick them back up then quit again you are simply a social smoker (like me). You are on a journey to make yourself more healthy and smoking DOES not help. You will destroy any benefit of weight loss by smoking not to mention your skin will age much faster. Combine the weight loss (I don't know how much you need to lose) with the effects of smoking on your skin and your skin WILL NOT bounce back near as well. Ever seen a woman with a droopy face?
  • iaho1976
    Options
    I've been 'clean' for a couple of months now and have continued to lose, I read 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. At the time I thought it had done nothing for me, but I picked a date and stuck to it, and true to his word, i found it easy and haven't put on any weight. Give it a try, its the best thing you will ever do.. Feel free to add me if you want any stopping support.... Good Luck
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I quit three years ago when I got pregnant with my twins, which made quitting cold turkey very easy. I had tried to quit several time, but until I truly made up my mind that I would not do it again, it didn't work. I would suggest to set a date and stick to it no matter what. No excuse is an acceptable reason to smoke. Also, you have to see it for what it is, a complete addiction, There is no such thing as having just one. As for the weight gain I would suggest lost of sugar free gum and carrots/celery for snacks. It actually helps alot. Best of Luck!
  • peaceinside
    Options
    I too struggle with this and am getting ready to pick a quit date. However honestly, I have been saying this for a couple of months now and really need to be serious about making it my next goal! Good luck to you.
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know I have to just do it, and maybe get on the scale a bit more often to keep myself in check. I would love to get pregnant next year, and smoking is not an option.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    WARNING... this will sound preachy... (nothing worse than an x-smoker. I apologize in advance):ohwell: :ohwell:

I quit when I was 26... 25 years ago. I was not overweight when I quit, and I immediately gained 20 pounds. I was not happy about the weight gain, and I eventually lost it.

Quitting smoking was the best change I have ever made in regards to my health. I had smoked for about 10 years, so I figured I would not have anything to worry about...

When Superman's wife died of lung cancer after never having smoked, I decided to get a lung scan just to be sure. My diagnosis was COPD/pre-emphysema. I am very healthy with no symptoms, and my Pulmanologist says that I may never develop problems from the disease.

Part of a healthy lifestyle is not to smoke. PERIOD. A skinny smoker is less healthy than a chubby non-smoker.

QUIT NOW. You can always lose weight, but you can't repair damage to your lungs.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's my third smoke free day! I've munched on pistachios all day to control my cravings and have been tempted to stop somewhere and buy some but to be honest I prefer to be overweight than to have all those complications related to smoking. Do you workout? Working out boosts your metabolism and kills some of the craving. For some reason I believe we can train ourselves to not choose food or cigarettes, it doesn't always have to be those two... I think it's
    More of a habit and now I'm just paying attention to what causes those behaviors and what I can do
    To change it or divert them.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 20 years. After quitting several times I finally quit for good through hypnosis. Even after 20+ years of being a non-smoker I will have a craving once in a while. Here's the thing though. The cravings only last so long and then they go away. Just take it one craving at a time. It is sooooo worth it to quit.

I just watched my step-mom die of emphysema. It was horrible. I had a pulmonary test recently to see if I had damage to my lungs. I came up clear which was a huge relief. I don't want to go like she did. I don't want anyone to experience that. My step-siblings and siblings still smoke. As she was on oxygen and even when she was dying they all had to go out for smoke breaks. It challenged my mind to see that. I know it is the hardest thing to do to quit. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Even if you gain a little weight it is worth it.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i am also in preperation mode for stopping smoking. i think that 'being scared' of smoke related illness's is counter productive to helping stop, as anxiety and fear are strong reasons why we continue to smoke.
    i have stopped smoking several times, using all manner of methods, no attempt lasted more than three months. this time i am putting in place ways 'to care' about myself. i am decluttering my home and life, in an attempt to be organised with time/exercise/diet/finances. my hope is that less stress or uncertainty will make it easier, after all stopping smoking is another way to take control of one's life (as with weight management). hope this helps you, good luck
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    I quit 10 years ago after 10 years of smoking, and the only thing that made me successful (I'd tried the gum/patch/etc) was to start running. I'd never been able to run a block--let alone a mile--but 1 year after quitting, I ran my first marathon.

I highly recommend the John "The Penguin" Bingham books (The Courage to Start, Marathoning for Mortals) and/or Couch to 5k program. Fitness is a really good incentive to quit!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I lost ten pounds the month I quit smoking. I threw out all the junk that I knew I'd munch on and chewed Extra Dessert Delights sugar free gum when I had bad cravings. I also ate a lot of sugar free popsicles because they were only 15 calories. I always had a straw cut into the size of a cigarette in my hand so I could still do the hand to the mouth thing. It was chewed to heck, but it got the job done. Exercising helps because it keeps you busy and distracted. Just have to keep watching your calories is key.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years tried quitting mutiple times with all methods only lasting a few days to a few weeks, once even a couple years always to go back. Finally 5 years ago I quit using accupuncture I have not touch a cigarette since. Now I have gained 15 pounds but i feel so good . I really notice in my workouts I can breath. And know with the help of this site I am working on the weight, but believe me I feel better 20 pounds heavier and not smoking than I ever felt thin and smoking. My way to keep from eating to much sugar free gum and exercise.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I quit 12 days ago! The first day were pretty hard and I definitely saw an increase in appetite. I'm eating a bit more but still below maintenance so I should be ok! I relied a lot on sugar free gums and coffee. I had a cup of (decaf) coffee everytime I needed a cigarette! Can't guarantee I won't gain ANY weight but I hope watching my cals will help me not packing on the pounds. Good luck with quitting!
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    Everytime I had a craving, I went for a walk or a run. I shook off my nicotine addictions and exchanged them for an exercise addiction! It has worked and I am so happy I quit. I started my weight loss on the same day. It has been 130 days, I've lost 24 lbs, and yesterday I ran a 10k.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Everytime I had a craving, I went for a walk or a run. I shook off my nicotine addictions and exchanged them for an exercise addiction! It has worked and I am so happy I quit. I started my weight loss on the same day. It has been 130 days, I've lost 24 lbs, and yesterday I ran a 10k.

Congratulations to you!!!