Unusual sports and workouts

Options
I'm sooo freaking bored of elliptical. For Christmas and my birthday, I am considering asking for membership to some kind of unusual sport club. Not a gym - they are also dull for me, but something where I can enjoy the sport and burn calories as a happy side-effect, not as the main goal. I'm thinking of stuff like ice skating, rock climbing...
Any ideas? What do YOU do to burn calories aside from regular gym stuff?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    that's a cool idea. i would like to learn some sort of martial art...also one of my friends took trapeze lessons!
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My sister joined a learn to row program and loved it, and now she does Kendo (a martial art). I've always wanted to get into boxing.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I practice Taekwondo, and I also cycle and run. All three are awesome ways to get a good workout, plus are SOOOO enjoyable.
    Weights I do about 2-3 times a week as a supplimental workout.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Parkour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour), dance classes, martial arts, pole dancing
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Boxing!! I took a boxing class at my school's rec center and it was so much fun. Plus you can take any frustration you out by punching.

I mountain bike with my husband in addition to my running (when weather permits) and I find it relaxing. Its an awesome workout and I get to spend an hour (+) in the woods.
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I enjoy chopping wood and lifting rocks for creating a rock garden. Lots of upper body work there.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Dancing! Contra-dancing, Irish dancing, salsa, Zumba, Bhangra (Indian dancing), hip hop, etc. A friend of mine is taking a tap dance class and loves it.
  • jgoatgirl
    jgoatgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I work at a doggy daycare and boarding facility. I have "doggy muscles" ;)
    If you like animals, rescues always need volunteer doggy walkers.
    Options
    Running/hiking/snowshoeing -- no membership fees
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I land paddle which is like stand up water paddling but on a longboard. Lots of fun and a great total body workout!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    1. I run in full shoulder pads and helmets when I was well enough to run, and suicide sprints, even though I haven't played for 25 years. Once I get my new regime of painkillers, I'll be doing this again, the added weight makes a HUGE difference to the intensity of the exercise.

2. Nintendo wii " golds gym" boxing is a fiercely agressive workout, with a HRM I could easily burn around 550 calories per hour..and it makes you WORK real hard.

3. I sometimes power walk with a trash bag as a ''base layer'' beneath my sweatshirt to sweat more

and yeah i am a little crazy :-)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I get bored easily myself, thsts why I love doing triathlon work outs. You do.swimming, running, biking, and some lifting. Keeps things interesting. You could also try crossfit, martial arts, mma, boxing among others.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing is an incredibly good workout but it IS a bit costly and time consuming (unless the rock climbing gym is really nearby). Its amazing for strength though, works every muscle in your body and especially your back, shoulders, etc. Also without a partner you usually can't climb very high (bouldering around low is still good but gets dull)

I play Dance Central on the Kinect (and DC 2) when I want a workout that's also funsies. Its an amazingly good workout because the camera picks up a huge range of motions so you get to do all kinds of fun things. Not quite as muscle intensive as rock climbing but more so than you would like.

A lot of ladies on here like Zumba but I'm not good with class schedules so I haven't tried it yet.

We also added C25k to our workouts lately - Its only a 30 minutes 3x a week commitment so you can fit it in around other workouts and it makes you feel really good to make that kind of progress
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Pole fitness is really fun and a full body workout! Works all your muscles, even ones you didn't know you had!!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am part of a military fashioned fitness bootcamp. Way better results than moping around a gym trying to be motivated. Plus there is the added benefit of your platoon members become some of your best friends.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Try capoeira if they have classes in your area. It's a fantastic workout.

Any kind of martial art, cycling or rowing clubs, group sports.

You have lots of options.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i agree with pole dancing LMAO. that's fairly unique!!
    others i would do are martial arts, rowing, or maybe bring friends to the gym?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love rock climbing! I climb every week.

I see ice skating is on your list. I skated for many many years and it's actually a really great workout and quite a lot of fun. I'd definitely suggest that.

What about yoga or pilates?
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but my co-workers are doing kickboxing and jujitsu. They love it!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    These ideas are AWESOME. Please keep them coming!

So far I love the idea of martial arts, rock climbing or pole dancing.
    Unfortunately anything that might risk my hands getting damaged even a little is out since I'm a violinist, but wow, I can't believe how great these suggestions are. Tons better than gym membership.