what to wear to a funeral? (when they don't want you wearing

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Someone close to me recently passed away, he was like a father figure to me...
They don't want us wearing black, they want it to be a celebration of his life... What should I wear?
(It's also in a church)

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Do you know is favorite color? If you do you could wear that.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    you could wear something that is not black
  • big_dog8
    big_dog8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    a friend of ours who recently passed was a huge Clemson fan so everyone wore orange! it was a very colorful funeral...
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would wear a dress of a dark color, not black per se. Perhaps a burgundy or a dark green color... best of luck. Hope this helps!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Polka Dots! They always make me smile... And what's more celebratory than Polka Dots! I think that's great they want you to celebrate life!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Wear something that you feel special in-maybe something he complimented you on. It will help remind you of happier times.

So sorry for your loss.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just wear something tasteful that isn't black.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Go with a medium purple or blue....... something that you're comfortable in, and that honors their request! If you are an extrovert--- a red or orange would be a brave choice!!!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I personally feel it's important to dress respectfully for funerals, weddings, church, etc.. If black is not your choice, any other color that is tasteful should be fine.... No Jeans! - maybe avoid hot pink and bright green :-)
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Wear that person's favorite color in a top (a blouse or light sweater), and either pants or a skirt that falls just above the knee (nothing short-I like pencil skirts, they are universally flattering)
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just went to my step-mom's celebration of life. I wore black slacks with a nice deep blue blouse. For the funeral which was on another day I wore black slacks with a rose pink sweater.

Although I think most colors go these days most people wore black, brown, and jewel or dark color tones. Some of the younger crowd dressed casually which I thought looked inappropriate and disrespectful. My teenager boys chose to wear suits and ties. They were some of the few who did but they felt it would be more respectful to their grandma. So I guess you can do whatever suits you and feels right for you.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Someone told me to were a bit of white. I cannot remember why. I think it means peace, but google it or I will.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Wear what you would to a daytime wedding. Flowy skirt, floral, happy. And a cardigan. If you are going to the grave site, wear pants so you're not cold, and no heels so you don't dig into the ground.

You could also find out his favorite sports team and wear their color, if he was a big sports buff.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you could wear something that is not black

This
  • kellyn1604
    kellyn1604 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For my sister's memorial service we wore her favorite color...pink. You should try to find out his favorite color and wear that. Just remember that as long as you are dressed modestly and respectfully no one is going to remember what you wear....but they will remember that you were there and that's the most important thing. I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a family member is always hard and I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better at this time. If you need any one to talk to let me know.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Funeral apparel is not as it used to be...Same goes for Church apparel. Seems like anything goes nowdays. Most people wear what they would wear to any other type of event. Semi casual to jeans and a T-shirt. You just have to wear what YOU feel appropriate.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i would end up wearing blue dress pants and some dressy shirt.