How to log....

Options
This is my first holiday season on MFP and in trying not to get derailed completely I am keeping my cheat days to a minimum. One of the things that usually gets made is Turkey soup with the carcass from the thanksgiving bird, but I don't know how to put it in the recipe calculator to go in my food diary. please help :)

Replies

• caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    I don't know how to log it but I would love the recipe. :)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i use the recipe section and i add every ingredient i used to make it the soup or what not and calculate how many serving there are. you can add them to your diary but clicking recipes, add to diary, and pick out the part of the day in which you ate it, and put it there. i did my whole thanksgiving dinner, since i cooked it all. it took like an hour almost to log but well worth it, now when i do leftovers, i know im accurate
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about boiling the bones and stuff? I would think it's similar to homemade chicken broth.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Track Food > Recipes
    Just input all the ingredients in the recipe into your new recipe and follow the directions from MFP.
    You will have to approximate the amount of meat left on the bones.

BTW, the "Recipe" feature is on the bar at the top of the page.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Click the food tab, then click Recipes, then click Enter New Recipe.
  • simplingrillin
    Options
    I would add the calories by making the recipe with chicken stock instead of turkey, it will easier to find out the calories per measurement then add in everything else

1oz chicken stock
    2ounces carrots
    2ounces celert
    4 ounces chicken
    etc....

then that all equals so so calories multiply or divide (if your eating a smaller portion of what you made)

hope that helps
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've never known how to log "turkey carcass" either. In the past when we've had homemade turkey soup, I think I just use a random restaurant or person's turkey-vegetable soup from the database. I'm curious as to what other people do.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't log the bones as they are just there to flavour the water for the first hours of simmering, they then get extracted (cheese cloth wrapper makes this easy). (I strip ALL meat from the bones etc first)

Recipe feature makes it easy to track the rest of it, but for the broth I don't know what it is that comes from the bones to be able to track it, I treat it like plain water in my recipes.