Back On After A Month!

Options
I have to get back on the MFP horse and I'll be honest here - I need some mega encouragement. I have been dealing with a lot on my plate in recent months and have become really depressed as a result. I have been eating nothing but crap and my sleeping patterns have been everywhere. It makes me feel guilty that I've been neglecting my fitness goals and my health in general, and I don't want to feel this way anymore. I want to make some changes to my mood, my quality of life and my energy levels. I'm sure there's some of you out there that understand how I've been feeling all too well and I'd like to connect with others that have dealt with or are currently combating depression or anxiety. No more sinking in quick *kitten* - let's get us out!

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
    You are already on the right track because you chose to change your habits. It may take daily, or hourly choosing, but you can do it. Congratulations on being brave enough to try again, and for sharing your struggles. You have untapped stores of strength inside you and years of future health waiting for you.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I suffered from depression back in the 70s--relatives dying and away from home at school.
    I would sit in my apartment, watching TV, and eating my meals straight from cans. I discovered, by accident, that if I could force myself out of the house and walk around in the sunshine and fresh air, my depression would go away for a while--until I fell into my rut again.
    I also discovered that old-fashioned calisthnics (or--more fun--dancing around the house to great music) drives the depression away.

I also took relaxation classes--wiggle your toes and relax your feet; wiggle your ankles and relax; tighten your calves and then relax them; do this all the way up your body and you can fall asleep much easier. I always found that my neck and jaw were the stiffest parts of my body.
    Take it day by day. You can do this! Hugs, :drinker: (lots of water)
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you read my recent posts you'll see how much we have in common. Only difference is that I've continued logging... Yes, even the crap I eat goes on my log!!! Still, I REFUSE to give up!!! Somedays it takes blogging on MFP and reading others successes and failurse just to get me to do what I need to do (like today). Other days, all the encouragement in the world is useless because I may want to workout, but barely have the time for a quick shower. And still, I REFUSE to give up!!! My hope is that eventually my healthy lifestyle choices will become second nature and I will make some serious headway in my effort to be healthy... Please friend me, if you'd like to ride alongside with me!!!
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    I know what you are going through, I realized have struggled with it all my life now that I know what the symptoms are, and I know how hard it is to get out of it. The good thing is you are deciding to change and it starts with baby steps, I started walking a mile every other day until I was able to start jogging and then I continued with zumba on the days I don't walk/jog. You can do whatever exercise you like but try different things to find out what that is. I wish you the best, and I know you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and respect for sharing your struggles! Luckily enoiugh for myself, I have not had to suffer from any form of depression - although I kinda know how it is to be at a breaking point ^^. I know that getting back into a work out routine does wonders for me, as it produces plenty of endorphins once I start moving.