C25K graduates!

Options
I am looking at starting this and have a few questions for those who have finished (or nearly finished) the programme.

1) Was it easier or harder than you expected?
2) Did you start on week one - if not how did you decide which week to start on?
3) Did you have any problems with the programme?
4) What results have you had - eg fitness, inch loss, definition in legs etc etc?

Thanks and well done to you for completing it!!!

Replies

• bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    sorry i'm not a graduate but i have attempted to start it a few times. I am interested in hearing how other people experience the programme so I'm leaving a comment.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I plan to start running in the new year and would love to hear from people, too.
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have started a few times but find it hard to find the motivation new its getting cold here where i live. There is a c25k group that might be helpful with your questions :D
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K in May of this year. Love it, can't say enough good things about it.

1. It was harder than I expected. I wasn't in good shape at all when I started it. Not one bit. After week 2 I was challenged and I liked that. It was a push to the end but it was well worth it.

2.I started on week 1. I suggest unless you're used to running at least a mile straight to start on week 1 regardless of fitness level (unless you're super buff LOL)

3. Just staying motivated to continue to do it.

4. I lost a few inches and definitly see definition in my legs. I ran my first 5k in 39 mins 30 seconds. Pretty good for this fatty. My last race was done at a 12 mins/ mile pace over 5 miles, which is something I never thought I'd accomplish. It's given me the encouragement to continue running and not only did I do another 5k but I also did Warrior Dash since. It's given me a solid foundation for Hal Higdon's novice half marathon plan which I am now doing.
  • CaleighAnn
    Options
    I completed C25K over the summer and I have run five 5K's since then and I managed to finish one in under 30 min

-Towards the end there was some days when I really just did not want to go out and start running, but once I got started I could finish

2) Did you start on week one - if not how did you decide which week to start on?
    -I started from week one

- The only problem I had was that the program would say I did not do a certain day, when I know I did

4) What results have you had - eg fitness, inch loss, definition in legs etc etc?
    -I now have calf muscles which I think is pretty cool, but now I just like to go out and run 4 miles daily
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K this past spring and really loved it.

1) Was it easier or harder than you expected? A little but it is all a mind game. Don't let your mind tell you that you can't. It seems intimidating when you are running longer and longer but the sweet part of this program is that if you don't skip steps, it will get you there!

2) Did you start on week one - if not how did you decide which week to start on? Important to start on week 1 and don't skip. It is a gradual program that gets you ready to run for longer distances. Your mind needs it as much as your body.

3) Did you have any problems with the programme? Not once I made the real commitment to stick with it. Like everything, you've got to be committed!

4) What results have you had - eg fitness, inch loss, definition in legs etc etc? Weight loss was good and my legs are great. I've run 4 races now, 2 5k's, an 8K and a 10K. The program will make you addicted to running! Running in general has made huge changes in my self confidence and self esteem. I feel unstoppable!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Both! Some days I thought, "That was easy!" And some days I thought, "I'm DYING!!!" Using day two of the week was the hardest. I'd breeze through day one and feel great about day two, then it would be difficult, then day three would be easier again.

I started at the very beginning. I couldn't run one block without wheezing before. But I a lot of times, I added an extra interval at the end, or a couple minutes to the end of the longer runs, so by week 7, I was able to run 3.25 miles. I "graduated" a bit early!

Other than the weather turning horrible and being forced to go indoors on the dreadmill... no. :smile:

I developed an addiction to running. :tongue: Between when I started and when I was running my first race (3 months), I'd lost about 18 pounds.
  • lbehm
    lbehm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1) Was it easier or harder than you expected? while I was doing it I thought it was harder...but once i finished it was easier than I thought
    2) Did you start on week one - if not how did you decide which week to start on? week 1...
    3) Did you have any problems with the programme? not really...some weeks were harder than others and I just repeated them if required
    4) What results have you had - eg fitness, inch loss, definition in legs etc etc? its hard to say b/c i also started eating healthy at the same time...i would say it helped with my weight loss (30 lbs) and i definitely lost inches
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I completed the program a few years ago and went from pretty much completely sedentary to running 5k as my normal workout 5x week! I ended up dropping 30lbs in those first couple of months too! While it may be different for everyone, c25k was a big turning point for me. I had never considered myself a runner before doing this.

It was a little easier until I got to the week where you had to run for 20 minutes straight!! I ended up having to do that week a few times;) I also started out trying to do the program at 5.5-6mph, which is crazy for how out of shape I was! Once I slowed down it was a lot easier. I'd say work on getting it done first, and then focus on speed.

I believe I started on week 4 because I had already joined a gym a couple of months before that and had been using the elliptical religiously...with zero weight loss though. It's funny that I could do the ellipitcal for 45 minutes at a really high resistance level, but then running 1/4 mile killed me. I think that says something about the elliptical...if you can read a novel while you're working out, you're not working yourself hard enough!

No, I never got injured or had any problems.

Although I started on week 3 or 4 of the program, it probably took me the full time because I repeated several weeks. After completing the program I was running a 5k pretty much M-F just trying to get faster, while doing a little weight training on the side. In the first 3 months (including however many weeks I did c25k) I lost 30-40lbs without counting calories. Actually, I was traveling for work pretty much every week which involved most meals out and lot of alcohol, so I'm shocked that I lost anything! Because I was doing a little bit of weight training too, my body really transformed...I think I went from a size 12/14 to a size 6 in that short amount of time and had to buy new clothes a few times!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did week 9 day 1 yesterday So am so close to the finish line

1) Was it easier or harder than you expected? I knew it would be hard for me. I was never a runner I couldnt even compelete day1 but that motivated me even more to keep going with it But I saw improvements with in my fitness level pretty fast I new I was improving every week I love that about c25k but around week 4 something in my head just click while I was jogging I came with few qoutes to keep me going "My body Is Stonger Then My Mind Gives it Credit for" and my other "Man not be able to Run is the Equalent to a Bird not being able to Fly" I also found qoutes to keep me going and made a playlist for my jog

2) Did you start on week one - if not how did you decide which week to start on? I started with week 1 thinking it would be to easy I didnt know how out if shape I was

3) Did you have any problems with the programme? I found no problems but I did repeat days becuase I knew I wasnt ready to advance to the next if I hard time doing a jog

4) What results have you had - eg fitness, inch loss, definition in legs etc etc? My legs are super tone and have lost plenty of inches but I am also doing the insanity workout progam as well So have to give both programs credit for my progress so far
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi! I graduated C25K in September.

1. Harder at first because I wasn't very fit, but it got easier and easier. If I couldn't quite manage a whole run I would walk for 30 seconds and then pick it up again, and then the next time I did that run I could usually manage the whole thing.

2. Started on week 1 and that was quite enough!

3. No it is great and it has changed my life!

4. I've lost weight, my leg muscles have much more definition, my tummy has reduced because running helps your core. The biggest thing is that I have become a runner! I now do a 5K parkrun every Saturday morning (came second in the women's race today! :D), I'm just about to finish the Bridge to 10K programme, and I have entered a 10K race next February.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6, but I want to answer anyway, as I have started and stalled the program before, and I think I've learned a few things!

Both. Easier in that running is kind of self-motivating (for me) once I get to the point that I'm running more than walking. It feels great and now I always can't wait to get out again. Harder in that just because you're in good shape doesn't mean you're going to be able to just hop out and run a mile, even though you kind of expect yourself to be able to!

My biggest point, and reason for posting, is that I highly recommend you start on week one. I was in fairly good cardio shape, from doing the elliptical, walking, and vigorous spinning at least twice a week. Running uses your muscles & joints in a whole new way-- it's NOT just about your heart. If you push too much too soon, it's not your heart you need to worry about, it's your knees, your shins, your back. The previous times I've tried C25K, I've had to stall early PRECISELY because I went faster than the program recommended. This time, I've repeated weeks, rather than skipped weeks, and that's exactly why I am having success, IMO. When I've skipped weeks, my heart has been fine with it, but I've ended up with shin spints & knee problems (one of which landed me in an Orthopedic office, and I couldn't even spin for a couple of weeks with all my knee swelling!). This time, I'm following the program, and I'm not having those problems. I've had a few days of sore shins, I've iced them, shkipped a day or two, and kept on with the program when they've felt better. I also switched to Vibrams half-time, and I know that helps with the shins, but the biggest help has been not pushing my joints farther than the program shows.
    If I could tell you one thing, it'd be that. Don't get so excited about running that you skip weeks, because even if it feels great in your heart, once it starts to feel bad in your knees, it will ruin your practice.

See 2. I had big problems, which stalled me completely, the 3 times I've done the program and skipped ahead, because my joints needed to work up to running moreso than my heart did. This time, knock on wood, I am not having debilitating problems, because I'm taking it slower.

It's hard to say because I'm also working through Jillian's 30DS (which I think I'd credit the most with myself looking better and tighter lately), and I'm trying to eat a little less. I know running is my absolute favorite, though, it's even replaced Yoga on my feel-good scale, and that's saying a lot.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I completed it and I have never ever run before in my life.

Both, I had days that were eaiser and days that were harder. I really think it was a mental thing more than physical. (if that makes sense.)
    Yes, I started week one.
    The only problem I had was I could not run the 5k in 30 minutes. It took much longer, but I was able to endure the longer run and complete it.
    I lost most of my weight during that period of time.

You're welcome and good luck.
    You can do it!!!
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    I completed it and I have never ever run before in my life.

Both, I had days that were eaiser and days that were harder. I really think it was a mental thing more than physical. (if that makes sense.)
    Yes, I started week one.
    The only problem I had was I could not run the 5k in 30 minutes. It took much longer, but I was able to endure the longer run and complete it.
    I lost most of my weight during that period of time.

You're welcome and good luck.
    You can do it!!!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 7 and will start week 8 on Monday. I started with week 1 and could not believe how out of shape I was!
    At W3D3 I pulled a calf muscle that sidelined me for two weeks. When I restarted I had to go back to W3D1. That was the only full week I repeated, but I have repeated a few days here and there. The hardest day for me was the first 20 minute run, I was terrified :) Now, I can't imagine not running. I have noticed that my legs are getting slimmer and my endurance is way up. I have not lost an amazing amount of weight, maybe 5 pounds since staring, but I am much more toned than I was.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    My dilemma is that I can jog for 15 minutes so am a bit reluctant to start on week 1, as I would feel like I was taking a step backwards. Am thinking about week 3.
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    My dilemma is that I can jog for 15 minutes so am a bit reluctant to start on week 1, as I would feel like I was taking a step backwards. Am thinking about week 3.

I started on week 3 since I was already in pretty good shape, and I graduated C25K about a month ago. I've done a 5k and a 4 mile race since then, and had excellent results! I didn't injure myself, and I don't see any problem with skipping the first few weeks if you're already at that fitness level. The really short intervals kind of annoyed me. That's why instead of doing B210K I'm just adding 10% to my running time each week.

As far as results go, I didn't lose a ton of weight on the program. But to be honest, in the beginning, you're not really running that many minutes. Now that I'm running 40 minutes straight, I'm starting to see results! And now that I've been in a race, I'm hooked!!! It really is addicting!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're already jogging, of course you can skip the first few weeks. I just meant if you're already in just generally good cardiovascular shape, that DOESN'T mean your knees, back, etc, are prime for jogging, kwim? I would start on week 5 or 6. You're not just starting jogging, you're just going to be starting to jog on a different program.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I think I will start on week 3 to err on the side of caution!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I started in September on week 1. Once I got to week 7 I didn't bother with my app anymore because its just straight running. I run slower (lotta weight to pull) but I run 4.5k in 34 min, so I'm pretty happy with myself. I now run for fun 2-3 times a week. I've lost 30lbs since I started (that was also the same time I started really using MFP). Yesterday I actually ran for 40min straight!

I loved it, and I found that I pushed myself to keep up with the intervals it gave me. When I completed them I felt AMAZING about myself!

I may sound like a dork, but at some points I did have to "self-talk" my way through it!