Sore legs after running.

Options
Hi
Been running twice a week for a few months now. I am currently trying to increase the time I run from 30 mins to 40 mins. Today I did 37 and my legs and feet are really aching! I've not had this before. Usually I feel a bit stiff after a run, but today they feel really sore and tender. Arghh! Is this usual when trying to increase running time? I am only increasing by a couple of minutes a week and didn't think that was too much. What do you think?

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    sorry don't have an answer, i am new to running, but wanted to say i hope you find an answer. i have been really fortunate not to have any leg aches or cramps this week.
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you had your running gait checked? It could just mean that you're wearing the wrong support in your running shoe!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A relative who is a doctor recommended me to have an Alka Seltzer before running; he said that the minerals would help me reduce the sore legs sensation

Other than that, time and training will help...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    increasing your running speed, distance, and/or time is a slow and steady process. it is normal to be a little out of whack, expecially if you are still a reletively new runner. just ease into it, take some ibuprofen, and rest tomorrow.
  • caitylynn62
    caitylynn62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It is normal I think to feel sore after increasing the amount of time. I increased mine today from intervals of running 10, walking 3 running 10 to running 25 straight and my legs feel very sore and tired! I think it will go away as you get used to the increase :)
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough calcium and magnesium.
  • Jers43
    Jers43 Posts: 100
    Options
    I have had lots of different aches and pains since I started running. I wear a simple brace for the knee. stretch everything real good before and after and ice down the problem areas. Running is athletic the longer and harder i go the more I hurt. it usually goes away with ice time and stretching even the feet!
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try taking a bath in epsom salts after your run-- that will help reduce the soreness.
  • uffduh88
    uffduh88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try increasing the number of runs per week before increasing the length of the runs. If you can, add an extra day in the week. The increased frequency will help.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    the soreness (if you have not experienced it before) is probably lactic acid build up. To aid in a fast recovery, stretch your legs regularly, and lightly massage around the areas where you are sore (using a rolling pin on your quads/hamstrings/calves also helps). And make sure you consume plenty of protein so your muscles can heal... you can never have too much lean protein, so go nuts and just make sure you drink plenty of water if you are consuming a lot more protein than usual..

In the future to prevent this from happening again, make sure you stretch every leg muscle before and especially AFTER you run.

Some people say if you go anaerobic on a run it will increase the likelihood of lactic acid soreness - in my experience I have not found this to be true, almost all my runs are anaerobic, and I am never sore.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Easy: run more. Twice a week running means that you legs just recover (a bit) from being sore when you go running again. If you want to get in better running shape, you need to run at least 4 days a week. Your body will get used to it. If you experience soreness, you can take some ibuprofen if you need it, but for the most part you can use a foam roller to work it out. Good luck!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    How old are your running sneakers? Actually, I should say: How many miles do you have on your running shoes by now?