How to deal with restaurants?

Options
Hi all

I went out for lunch yesterday to a place not of my choosing. I selected the 'healthiest' looking thing on the menu (a former french fry addict, I used to select anything that came with fries, so that was an improvement, to start with!).

It ended up being a fish salad - crumbed fried fish on a garden salad. It had obviously been deep-fried, though, and there was oil all through the salad. I ate it, but I was pretty gutted that I was forking extra calories into my mouth that were not ones I had planned for or looked forward to - they were sorta thrust upon me... I realised later I maybe could have asked for the fish to be done differently?

Thing is, New Zealanders in general (maybe not all of us, but most), don't really like to kick up a fuss, particularly when receiving a service (even though we're paying for it). In addition, I always worry that if I ask for a 'low-fat' option in a restaurant, people are going to look at me and think "ha, yeah, like THAT's gonna help, Fatty-Boom!"

Any advice?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    It happens, just suck it up and hope you can be more influential where you eat next.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Usually when I know I'm going out to eat I look up the nutrition information ahead of time and go ahead and log it in so that I know how to plan my other meals for that day...It seems to help me out...If you can't find exactly what you're looking for just find the closest thing and log that and keep it moving. Afterall it's only that one meal! :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't like to make a fuss either so I usually "only" request the dressing on the side when ordering a salad.

But salads aren't always the healthier option. I usually look for steamed fished or grilled meat and ask for veggies instead of fries.
  • RhondaMillard
    Options
    The easiest way to avoid those issues is to ask your server before you order "How is the fish for this salad cooked, is it fried or broiled ?" Or for any item really, just using the fish salad as an example :)

I always ask how items are prepared and it has nothing to do with my diet, I'm a picky eater. If I don't ask, I may very well end up with something I don't like and won't eat. Not the restaurants fault, but my own for not making sure of what I'm ordering.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with meat and veggies at a restaurant. Try to order some grilled fish or chicken with a side of broccoli or steamed veggies next time. Most restaurants have this available.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If i'm going out to a restaurant i order whatever sounds the tastiest to me, i could care less if it's the healthiest or the lowest cal option, since i know i can get back on track the next day. Personally i find it silly to scour the menu looking for the healthiest or lowest cal option as if 1 meal would sabotage your diet
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

From New Zealand too, but I encourage you to get a bit braver about asking for changes to the food. Dressing on the side is easily do-able. Most places will be happy to make some changes for you or tell you a bit more about what's in the dish.

Eating out is tricky, but make the best choice you can, exercise more and enjoy your meal.

And stick two fingers up (mentally) to what anyone else thinks! You're doing this for you and you're suceeding so keep up the great work!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    never, ever go to restaurants.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with meat and veggies at a restaurant. Try to order some grilled fish or chicken with a side of broccoli or steamed veggies next time. Most restaurants have this available.

this is actually pretty good advice.

If i'm going out to a restaurant i order whatever sounds the tastiest to me, i could care less if it's the healthiest or the lowest cal option, since i know i can get back on track the next day. Personally i find it silly to scour the menu looking for the healthiest or lowest cal option as if 1 meal would sabotage your diet

as is this.

you can't be perfect every single meal. and you have to learn. like someone else said, start using the phrase "how is it prepared?" keeping your eyes peeled for sensible choices is ok, but also being concious of portions is good too. if the plate comes out and it is twice what you thought, well, leave half on the plate and take it home with you.

one time i went to a resturant and asked for a salad, grilled chicken, dressing on the side, and they brought me the meal salad. i learned that i could've asked for a half order of the salad.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some people go out several times a week, though. If you have the 1400-calorie entree 3 or 4 times a week, it actually is going to sabotage your diet.
  • CraigColton
    Options
    at a restaurant I pick whatever I fancy (within reason of course) the times when I haven't lost any weight are the times when I over think everything and try to be really strict, I lose weight faster when I carry on as normal and don't stress over these things, one meal can't ruin everything ... and if it did it was probably worth it :) x
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Depends on how often you go out I guess. Other then that, you are a customer and even though you might not like it, it is your right to ask for some changes to your menu ^^ do it with a big smile and see how much of a difference it makes. And don't worry about any onlookers. If they have an issue with you they'll find something to pick on anyway. That's just the way it is. But what you need to remind yourself of is that those people don't even know you. Plus, in fact very little people are actually being worried about what someone else is eating. They might look but it's more likely that they look because they are intersted in the food rather then in what you eat.
    lol, in all fairness, if I have learned one thing rom living in London, then it is to speak out ^^

I, by the way often end up with either a jackte potatoe (there always will be side salad) or some grilled meat (again, most restaurats here give you the option to choose between spuds and salad)